Pyramid Theorem: Beyond the Exosphere

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

RickyRock

Pyramid Theorem: Beyond the Exosphere

Post by RickyRock » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:13 pm

Wow. My little bro turned me on to this. From Canada and influenced by Rush, Dream Theatre, Iron Maiden..... This is smokin hot!! 4 musicians at the top of their game. This should go over big around here. Anyone else hear anything by this band? I will give more thoughts after I absorb this monster further.

introclaus

Re: Pyramid Theorem: Beyond the Exosphere

Post by introclaus » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Yeah - Glenn told me about them earlier today and I bought the new album right away!
I was actually just coming here to post about it having gone through the album three times now (on the fourth play through). It’s brilliant classic style prog metal with inspiration from obviously Dream Theater, but I also hear a bunch of Rush in it and some parts reminds me of a heavier Enchant. Great vocalist, and the drummer is absolutely insane!

This beats all other “classic prog metal” discs I’ve heard this year (with the exception of Psychotic Waltz). I know a lot of people love the Thoughts Factory and the Paralydium discs, but this one has them beat!
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:11 pm

I'm awaiting my preorder. The previous album is truly a mixed bag of styles and influences where this one is more focused. Check out an instrumental from them called tornado. pretty sick stuff!

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Copies on the way...

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Right now for me this is my record of the year. Hitting me like a two ton heavy thing.....Closer to the end is my tune of the year so far also. People, this is incredible stuff! Glad to see Ken Golden getting copies of this. I hear shades of Queen, Anubis Gate and Steve Morse. Of course Rush and Dream Theatre come to mind too. I told my bro if he would have let this one slip by me I would have flown out to California to whip his ass then drink lots of beer while listening to this stellar music!!

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Still kicking my ass.....Where is the enthusiasm for this? Larry D, no comments? My only complaint is it is too short, but still best of the year for me.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:29 pm

RickyRock wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 pm
Still kicking my ass.....Where is the enthusiasm for this? Larry D, no comments? My only complaint is it is too short, but still best of the year for me.
Wonderful album for sure. Not in top 10 for me this year (so many other incredible albums) but by far the best “classic prog metal” disc of the year, unless you count Psychotic Waltz as “classic prog metal”.

Yeah it is on the short side (only 5 songs, 41 minutes) but that’s okay with me; I’d rather have an album that leaves me wanting more than an album that makes me want to cut out tunes here and there.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:36 pm

RickyRock wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 pm
***Thanks for asking ...... I'm on music overload right now, but I'm being totally consumed by Virtual Symmetry that I haven't spent too much time with this one - I love what I'm hearing, but after 2 quick passes, I thought I might be leaning towards Paralydium as the better disc for me ...... and that was a quick assessment after quick listens..... I really like the singer in Paralydium but musically both bands are awesome ...... I"ll come back to this some time soon ...... but right now Virtual Symmetry is hitting me really hard........

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm

Totally love this one! Sounds great in 24/96 HD too.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm

That was kind of a bold move to start the album with a twenty plus minute song, and I'm not sure it was successful. I don't feel like they had enough good ideas to fill that time. However the rest is splendid. I still may warm up to the epic but overall this is a strong release from a band I'd never heard of. I'm finding a few of those this year.