Thoughts on Evanescence / IQ / Telergy.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Thoughts on Evanescence / IQ / Telergy.......

Post by LarryD » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Things are starting to heat up for me in the music dept - not that it's ever stopped, but there seems to be quite the influx of new music coming out during a tough time in our lives ....... could be that I'm just bored to tears during our imprisonment and buying music makes me feel better ... who knows ? Just got these in from The Lasers Edge......

EVANESCENCE / Synthesis --
This is a live concert Bluray from the Synthesis disc. I had talked about the DVD version some time ago, but I liked it so much that I wanted the Bluray version. Synthesis the latest Evanescence disc which features their previous work done with an orchestra. Apparently the Synthesis studio disc is an import only and quite expensive for some reason. Maybe someone can tell me differently, but having it done here in a live setting suits me fine as Amy Lee is on fire here with the orchestra behind her belting out all of the favorite hits that we know. Even if you are done with EV - this is quite the way to end your relation ship with the band with one final show with an orchestra. Not much visuals going on here in the show, it's all about Amy, her piano, and the backing orchestra. Superb.

IQ / A Show of Resistance -
Right on the heels of their Resistance disc, IQ releases this live show of the same tour right before the pandemic hit. This is CD only, no DVD show sadly. But you know what you're getting with an IQ live show. The Road of Bones and Subterranea are included in the setlist, so that's good enough for me, although the rest of the show is superb as well.

TELERGY / Black Swallow -
Glenn turned me on to this band - er, project. It's basically a one-man show who plays all kinds of instruments and employs at least 50 or more of our favorite artists to create symphonic / instrumental rock operas - and then donates the proceeds to charity. How he does this is an other world mystery. Some of the names on this disc ( there are 3 others I think ), include......
Tony Levin
Todd Sucherman
Mike Lepond
Pete Trewavas
Gary Wehrkamp
Andy LaRocque
Stephan Lill
David Ragsdale
and the list goes on and on and on.........

This particular disc is the story about the first black aviator named Eugene Bullard. The disc runs about 70:00 but half of the songs are narration to keep you abreast of the story along with the music .... if you don't like narration, stay clear. I checked out their other disc called Hypatia and I found the music to be a little more heavy than this one, but they are all quality instrumental / rock opera type discs. A very interesting approach to music - and the quality is there. This one was $10 from The Lasers Edge, quite the steal.

Check out their material here > www.telergymusic.com

introclaus

Re: Thoughts on Evanescence / IQ / Telergy.......

Post by introclaus » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:32 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:58 pm

TELERGY / Black Swallow -
Glenn turned me on to this band - er, project. It's basically a one-man show who plays all kinds of instruments and employs at least 50 or more of our favorite artists to create symphonic / instrumental rock operas - and then donates the proceeds to charity. How he does this is an other world mystery. Some of the names on this disc ( there are 3 others I think ), include......
Tony Levin
Todd Sucherman
Mike Lepond
Pete Trewavas
Gary Wehrkamp
Andy LaRocque
Stephan Lill
David Ragsdale
and the list goes on and on and on.........

This particular disc is the story about the first black aviator named Eugene Bullard. The disc runs about 70:00 but half of the songs are narration to keep you abreast of the story along with the music .... if you don't like narration, stay clear. I checked out their other disc called Hypatia and I found the music to be a little more heavy than this one, but they are all quality instrumental / rock opera type discs. A very interesting approach to music - and the quality is there. This one was $10 from The Lasers Edge, quite the steal.

Check out their material here > www.telergymusic.com
Like I told you last week, I think the music is good for what it is but there’s too much “jazz” for my taste and not enough “metal” in it. The biggest thing for me though is that it’s 50/50 narration and that just bores me to sleep, sorry.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Like I told you last week, I think the music is good for what it is but there’s too much “jazz” for my taste and not enough “metal” in it. The biggest thing for me though is that it’s 50/50 narration and that just bores me to sleep, sorry.
***Try some of their other ones ...... I played Hypatia and found it to be heavier / more metal oriented than this one. I think the narration is there with all of them, so if that's a sticking point - you want to stay clear.

For me personally - I love narration. When bands want to tell a story - aka a concept disc - I want all of the narration I can get. Some over do it, some under do it, and some just plain ruin it ( think the dude on the After Forever / Invisible Circle disc ). I think one band who did it perfectly was Queensryche on Operation: Mindcrime. Just enough special effects to complement the music and the story - never overdoing it.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:33 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:45 pm
***Try some of their other ones ...... I played Hypatia and found it to be heavier / more metal oriented than this one. I think the narration is there with all of them, so if that's a sticking point - you want to stay clear.

For me personally - I love narration. When bands want to tell a story - aka a concept disc - I want all of the narration I can get. Some over do it, some under do it, and some just plain ruin it ( think the dude on the After Forever / Invisible Circle disc ). I think one band who did it perfectly was Queensryche on Operation: Mindcrime. Just enough special effects to complement the music and the story - never overdoing it.
Nah, pass ... narration is the killer of good music!
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:03 pm

IQ / A Show of Resistance -
Right on the heels of their Resistance disc, IQ releases this live show of the same tour right before the pandemic hit. This is CD only, no DVD show sadly. But you know what you're getting with an IQ live show. The Road of Bones and Subterranea are included in the setlist, so that's good enough for me, although the rest of the show is superb as well.
The live version of "Last Human Gateway" here is worth the price alone..... It takes some serious stones to break that song out live and NOT have it as your encore....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson