Damnation Angels: Fiber of our being.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

RickyRock

Damnation Angels: Fiber of our being.

Post by RickyRock » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:44 pm

This is a fricken masterpiece of a record. The new vocalist is a real bad ass. This is highly polished melodic symphonic Metal. This is the first I’ve checked into this band and I’m sure glad I did. I checked out some of their previous work and it’s also good but I absolutely love the new singer better than PelleK. Yeah PelleK can hit all the high stuff but he lacks the aggression of the new dude. Ignacio Rodriguez is his name. Excellent choice to replace the former if you ask me. Check out the tune Railrunner and you’ll get a good taste of what this disc is all about.

Random Axe

Re: Damnation Angels: Fiber of our being.

Post by Random Axe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm

I've been waiting to get some feedback on this. Sounds like I need to purchase. I just recently got into the previous albums so I don't have an affinity for PelleK yet so I likely won't even notice much of a change.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:45 am

The jury is still out on this one ... keep in mind I used to manage the band so I might be a tad biased.

I like the new singer - he isn’t as “unique” as PelleK, but he has better control. Musically it’s less “Kamelot worship” and more stealing with arms and legs from Eclipse and Evergrey and putting it into a symphonic metal setting. Every single song is instantly memorable and that’s where this bands force lie - super solid song writing albeit hardly original.
Claus Jensen

NDFAN

Post by NDFAN » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:14 am

Boy, Do I disagree. Their first 3 CD'S are far superior to there latest(Fiber Of our Being). If you haven't listen to their first 3 CD'S, PLEASE give them a listen. Masterpiece, it certainly isn't. I'm really soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed.
DAN(NDFAN)

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:13 am

NDFAN said....”Boy, Do I disagree. Their first 3 CD'S are far superior to there latest(Fiber Of our Being). If you haven't listen to their first 3 CD'S, PLEASE give them a listen. Masterpiece, it certainly isn't. I'm really soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed.”

Well we can agree to disagree here. I have listened and although I really dig the others I think that they stepped it up with FOOB with a maturity of songwriting and with the delivery of the vocals by Ignacio Rodriguez it just hits all the right buttons for me. I’ve seen other reviews where the word masterpiece was used so I’m not alone. Anyway I can understand especially if you were a big fan before they changed the vocals. Myself I got introduced by listening to FOOB so maybe if I were before this one I may have a harder time with the change. I know that PelleK has a large following and many fans were disappointed when he left. Myself am not and think Ignacio is a better fit to this style of music. I’m blown away by this release to tell you the truth.....oh, did I say also that I really love this new record!!😬

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:44 am

Like I said, this is a band that writes super memorable songs - a band that knows how to make the best of material that is not really original. But they will never write a masterpiece in any form or shape; their songs are just too derivative of other songs and there’s not an ounce of originality to be found here. That said, I really like their albums (obviously, I was their manager in the past), and I’m warming up to the new one more and more, and it might (thanks to new singer) come out of top of any of the previous discs.
Claus Jensen

NDFAN

Post by NDFAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:33 am

Hi There

Yes, we can agree to disagree. Very diplomatically written!! The key point here is Damnation Angels is an excellent group with some excellent songs!!
THANKS
DAN(NDFAN)

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44 am

Actually going to go back to the PelleK albums later this week. The new one is hitting me in just the right spots, much like the latest Dynazty album did..... There's a really strong combination of Nightwish-style orchestrations and gritty modern hard rock (ala Eclipse as mentioned already). The new singer is a perfect fit for this style, as I really couldn't hear PelleK doing this. Can't honestly say that this is better than the old albums, but I'll definitely be going back to this one many times in the coming weeks.
Like I said, this is a band that writes super memorable songs - a band that knows how to make the best of material that is not really original. But they will never write a masterpiece in any form or shape; their songs are just too derivative of other songs and there’s not an ounce of originality to be found here.
This feels a little harsh.... Even though I know it's not meant to be. Their style definitely owes a lot to those who came before them, but at no point do I hear anything that sounds overly derivative. It's a "safe" sound if that makes sense, but it's also not coming out sounding exactly like anyone else. There's no song on here where I find myself hearing someone else's material, if that makes sense.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:47 am

I just got this yesterday after a hunt to actually find a physical disc.

It's very good. It's also very familiar.

I'm only through it once but I heard enough to know I like and it will get regular rotation. This is formulaic symphonic prog. Claus is correct. Everything they write is pleasant but not terribly deep. I tend to gravitate to music you can connect with, songs and albums with meaning or feeling behind them. They have the same problem I have with Dynazty. while the music is gorgeous and has great melodies, it tends to be superficial. That's not to say I won't play the hell out of those loudly, but I'll never "get into" them as I would with Fates or Redemption.

This will rank high on my end of year list