Wintersun - Metal Vivaldi the best description

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

David D

Wintersun - Metal Vivaldi the best description

Post by David D » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfN3G2vjqM]

I already had their newest cd, so when i saw the band put the entire previous cd on youtube (above) I was excited to see how they used to sound, and it is still a finnish extreme metal ocrchestra/symphony effect - it reminds me of Green Carnation - how you have to listen to the whole disc to get the full effect, its not really songs that are catchy with choruses, but more orchestral movements. All I know is it so original, and musically talented, flowing, and they have a distinct guitar sound I just crave at times.

I read the Metal vivaldi in the comments of this youtube video and it is spot on - and its cool to read lots of non metal fans recognizing the musical genius of this band.

Pretty cool the band put the whole disc on youtube, so as a thank you - i just bought it on amazon. only 11.99 also - not bad.

Dave

introclaus

Re: Wintersun - Metal Vivaldi the best description

Post by introclaus » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:01 am

I loved the debut when it came out - it was that perfect blend of folk/black/symphonic-metal over the backbone of melo-death, and it really brought back the "melo-death" genre for a third time (phase 1: gothenburg sound, phase 2: children of bodom style, phase 3: wintersun style). However, Jari ended up taking 8 years to put out the second album and when he did he himself slammed it in the media by saying "it would have been so much better had my record label done this and that...". At that point I really lost interest, and when he spent another 5-6 years complaining about everything and then put out an album (The Forest Seasons) that sounds like it has computer drums all over it instead of utilizing Kai Hahto who made the first two albums so spectacular, I honestly didn't care anymore...

However, your post made me go back and listen to "The Forest Seasons" again, and it's not quite as bad as I remember. Jari obviously has some great ideas, a superb ear for symphonic orchestration, and it's easy to see why so many people like it. I don't hear anything that reminds of Green Carnation (don't know where you go that at all?), but I can see what you mean by the "metal Vivaldi" comment. I think my biggest problem with the album is how tainted my opinion of Wintersun is by all of Jari's whining all across the internet - it just ruins any pleasure in listening to this. A few weeks ago I actually revisited the debut and I still love it, but that was also with the notion in mind that Jari hadn't become a cry-baby yet when that came out haha.
Claus Jensen

David D

Post by David D » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:50 am

you have to listen to the newest one. forest seasons is very good - Sons of winter and stars alone is worth the price of the new disc and the rest is also awesome. I have a friend who loves Tool who said wintersuns newest cd is the closest he has ever come to being amazed by a band since tool.

the green carnation comparison was the super long song concept - with ebbs and flows, and lots of various sounds all mixed together ....more than actual musical comparison.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:52 am

Ah Wintersun, basically have wasted many years pissing around.
They actually only have one full proper album, the debut, Time I is only half an album that Jari begrudgingly agreed to be released, even though he does not like the mix. TFS is really a glorified Jari demo, with no other Wintersun members playing a single note, though they do some backing vox and as Claus mentioned, the drums are not real.

While the band he left Ensiferum, have put out 6 full albums and one EP.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:42 am

gazinwales wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:52 am
Ah Wintersun, basically have wasted many years pissing around.
They actually only have one full proper album, the debut, Time I is only half an album that Jari begrudgingly agreed to be released, even though he does not like the mix. TFS is really a glorified Jari demo, with no other Wintersun members playing a single note, though they do some backing vox and as Claus mentioned, the drums are not real.

While the band he left Ensiferum, have put out 6 full albums and one EP.
Yup agreed (although I think “Time I” is really good, and while it might not be the complete extravaganza it’s still 40 minutes). The issue here is how stupid Jari is in complaining about everything and then doesn’t follow through on anything. It’s always easier to blame others for your own shortcomings (right Nos?)...
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Yes Time I is great, but really has only 3 proper songs on it, Time II will only be released once Jari has his own studio, so don't hold your breathe...