Vanishing Point - Dead Elysium...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Vanishing Point - Dead Elysium...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:47 am

Never thoroughly checked anything from this band, but this song sounds good to me. Maybe this new August release will grab me?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh0j-wIVqEs

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Vanishing Point - Dead Elysium...

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:37 am

Very strong band, and much like Poverty's No Crime.... Just when I think we've seen the last of them they pop up with a new album.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:09 pm

I was a little bit stunned when this song started with the down-tuned guitars. This is pretty good first pass through. This got me wanting to go back and listen to their older work. I just played Tangled today while doing some paperwork and loan apps and I am floored how much I like this. I was always lukewarm on them. Yes they are super talented but I didn't ever find too many dynamics in their compositions. Their last four albums are pretty much all the same to me, I can't distinguish. This, however sounded fresh. Maybe I was wrong about them all along. I'll have to investigate.

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:23 pm

I love "Tangled" but Vanishing Point, to me, has become the Australian version of Kamelot.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:05 pm

They may never release again an album as good as "Tangled In Dream"...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:42 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:37 am
Very strong band, and much like Poverty's No Crime.... Just when I think we've seen the last of them they pop up with a new album.
Speaking of Poverty's No Crime, I just visited their FB page and their last post was just 2 days ago about tracking drums for their next album. So yeah, they're not done yet either. Which is a great thing since I think they're perhaps the most underrated prog metal band of them all.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 am

T'ski wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:23 pm
I love "Tangled" but Vanishing Point, to me, has become the Australian version of Kamelot.
Not at all for me. VP is much better than Kamelot at this point... Can't stand Kamelot and really enjoy VP...

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:09 pm

To me, it's Australian Vanden Plas (yes, another VP I realize....) Strong formula, strong albums, but staying safely within their lane.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:55 pm

Embrace the Silence is one of my personal favorite albums in the style and still receives fairly regular plays. Unfortunately, since then they have gone far down the road of "melodic metal" and dropping the diversity that makes their style sustainable for an entire album. Distant is the Sun is a fairly good album but it feels like it's missing originality. This one is more of the same although it does dive into proggier realms again and "Salvus" is an absolutely awesome track. I think they work best when combining their old prog and melodic rock influences into power-prog metal, and they've drifted away from that by adding a lot of dark, modern elements in.