Another batch on the way ......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Another batch on the way ......

Post by LarryD » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:03 am

I haven't even finished gathering my thoughts on the last batch of discs I bought from The Lasers Edge when I saw these listed there recently .........had to have them.

AIRBAG / A Day at The Beach -
I don't even think twice about buying a disc blindly when this band releases something. It's been awhile since their last, but from what I'm told this one was worth the wait.... this is a Neo-Prog band with roots firmly planted in the Pink Floyd camp, and their guitarist sounds like he went to the David Gilmour school of guitar. I cannot wait to hear this one.

I/O Earth / Aura -
I think there are two fans of this band here on the board .....me, and Sir Exar. This is another blind purchase band for me as they have never disappointed with any release. This is a prog rock band that incorporates Mid-Eastern influences into their music fronted by a wonderful female singer. The key here is on the atmosphere. It's proggy, it's dreamy, it's other worldly in it's feeling.

MAGENTA / Master of Illusion -
I sort of lost interest in Magenta over the years as I felt I had heard enough. I don't think they have ever put out a less than stellar release, but I just figured I didn't need anymore. A few years ago, I bought Christina Booth's (vocalist) solo disc, and I love her voice and decided I would jump back onto the band wagon at some point. Magenta has been around for years and years, and they play old school prog rock mixed in with modern day influences and sounds ( think 70's prog meets Rush at times ) .... the new disc, Masters of Illusion, is based on the actors who starred in the Hammer Horror Film movies of yesteryear. So it's a concept disc based on the actors' lives, not the horror characters they once played. Who the hell thinks of something like that ? Time to jump back on the Magenta bandwagon. It also comes with a DVD 5.1 mix of the disc as well. Rob Reed ( founder and guitarist ) is no cheap skate in the sound and giving dept.

I have not heard one single note of any of these discs - in this day and age, it's almost mandatory do so ...... It is a coincidence that all of these discs have been released at the same time, and not hearing any of it brings me back to the old days of just picking a bunch of discs out of the blue and diving in ...... this should be fun.