It's getting quiet in here - so I bought these.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

It's getting quiet in here - so I bought these.......

Post by LarryD » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 am

...from The Lasers Edge ..........

PARALYDIUM / Worlds Beyond -

Lots of us have been looking forward to this release now for some time ...... it's here. Really have high, high hopes for this one to end up in the Top 3 for the year, if not the Top disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIQK8TYf8E

SORCERER / Lamenting of the Innocent -

I absolutely loved their last disc ....and seeing them at Prog Power was amazing as well. From what I've heard of this new disc, it's going to be another winner. This disc doesn't seem to be as "doomy and gloomy as Crowing ", and I want to now dub them as the "modern day Black Sabbath" .... that's the sound I'm hearing now. Andy, as always, sounds amazing and remains of one of my favorite singers in metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoA9-85l7-w

THREE COLOURS DARK / The Science of Goodbye -

I'm always on the prowl for female fronted projects these days ..... notice I didn't say female fronted metal. Three Colours Dark is the disc from Rachel Cohen, who was one of the founding members of the original Karnataka, and she was in The Reasoning as well. Apparently, she was in an abusive relationship, and this disc is the result of that - thus the title. It sounds mellow, folky, celtic, modern and beautifully sad all at the same time. The only songs I've heard were of her singing with a piano backdrop, but considering the guests and instrument listings, I'd say it gets a little more than mellow but not much. This is mood music for the night time .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuPmNzm-izI

introclaus

Re: It's getting quiet in here - so I bought these.......

Post by introclaus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:40 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 am
PARALYDIUM / Worlds Beyond -
Lots of us have been looking forward to this release now for some time ...... it's here. Really have high, high hopes for this one to end up in the Top 3 for the year, if not the Top disc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIQK8TYf8E
I like it - there's a ton of Symphony X meets early Circus Maximus worship going on here, but it's really well done and the songs are really strong for this style.
LarryD wrote:
SORCERER / Lamenting of the Innocent -
I absolutely loved their last disc ....and seeing them at Prog Power was amazing as well. From what I've heard of this new disc, it's going to be another winner. This disc doesn't seem to be as "doomy and gloomy as Crowing ", and I want to now dub them as the "modern day Black Sabbath" .... that's the sound I'm hearing now. Andy, as always, sounds amazing and remains of one of my favorite singers in metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoA9-85l7-w
I feel like this is a doom-metal album for those that don't like doom. It's a solid disc, but the doom-pedigree here is very low. It's more like a slower style of power metal disc (it makes me think of Jag Panzer every time I listen to it for some reason). After the last disc my hopes were higher for this, but it is still a nice album.
LarryD wrote:
THREE COLOURS DARK / The Science of Goodbye -
I'm always on the prowl for female fronted projects these days ..... notice I didn't say female fronted metal. Three Colours Dark is the disc from Rachel Cohen, who was one of the founding members of the original Karnataka, and she was in The Reasoning as well. Apparently, she was in an abusive relationship, and this disc is the result of that - thus the title. It sounds mellow, folky, celtic, modern and beautifully sad all at the same time. The only songs I've heard were of her singing with a piano backdrop, but considering the guests and instrument listings, I'd say it gets a little more than mellow but not much. This is mood music for the night time .......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuPmNzm-izI
I haven't heard this yet, but I'll definitely check it out. I love strong female singers in a folky setting, but so far this year I haven't heard anything in that style that's blown me away (even my long time favorite Kari Rueslatten released a very mediocre album this year).
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:09 pm

Paralyidum -
I like it - there's a ton of Symphony X meets early Circus Maximus worship going on here, but it's really well done and the songs are really strong for this style.
***I'll agree with that ..... my copy should be here shortly.

Sorcerer -
I feel like this is a doom-metal album for those that don't like doom. It's a solid disc, but the doom-pedigree here is very low. It's more like a slower style of power metal disc (it makes me think of Jag Panzer every time I listen to it for some reason). After the last disc my hopes were higher for this, but it is still a nice album.
***I'm going to agree with you on the sound - you nailed what it feels like ......however, I actually like it better than Crowing, and not because it's not as doomy....I like the Sabbath approach, and that slow plodding power metal sound, but Andy gets to sing a bit more on this disc, and he shines as always ...... I think the songs are more powerful as well due to the less doomy nature, and somehow it sounds heavier. There is just a feeling of class on this disc - mostly due to Andy - but the songs are stronger here I think. Pure excellence.

Three Colours Dark -
I haven't heard this yet, but I'll definitely check it out. I love strong female singers in a folky setting, but so far this year I haven't heard anything in that style that's blown me away (even my long time favorite Kari Rueslatten released a very mediocre album this year).
***I heard several songs on Bandcamp that prompted me to buy the disc .....I love early Karnataka, so this was a no brainer for me. It's on Bandcamp if you want to check it out, or you can wait for me to get my copy here and spout off about it ........

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:49 am

I think Claus nailed the vibe of the Paralydium disc. Very strong, very modern classic powerprog kind of feel. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:12 pm

I bought the Paralyidum blindly today based on everyone's raves along with new sorcerer. I picked up the latest TNT live disc, new Dennis Deyoung and some used stuff I nevet heard like World Trade and Near Life Experience from Steve Blaze. gotta road trip starting tomorrow and wanted totally new stuff to listen to.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:32 am

Random Axe wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:12 pm
I bought the Paralyidum blindly today based on everyone's raves along with new sorcerer. I picked up the latest TNT live disc, new Dennis Deyoung and some used stuff I nevet heard like World Trade and Near Life Experience from Steve Blaze. gotta road trip starting tomorrow and wanted totally new stuff to listen to.
****The Paralydium is pretty bad ass ..... not many bands writing that style of prog so well .......it's like "modern prog" but meaning it doesn't sound like it was made in the 90s ....... terrific singer as well.

The new Sorcerer is where it's at for me ..... I think I like it better than the previous disc, and that was my #1 for that year. Andy just shines on this disc, as always, and it's not so " doomy and gloomy " this time - like Claus said, it's more of a slowed down power metal which suits me just fine. Another top contender for me ......

Looking forward to your thoughts on both ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:40 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:32 am
Random Axe wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:12 pm
****The Paralydium is pretty bad ass ..... not many bands writing that style of prog so well .......it's like "modern prog" but meaning it doesn't sound like it was made in the 90s ....... terrific singer as well.

The new Sorcerer is where it's at for me ..... I think I like it better than the previous disc, and that was my #1 for that year. Andy just shines on this disc, as always, and it's not so " doomy and gloomy " this time - like Claus said, it's more of a slowed down power metal which suits me just fine. Another top contender for me ......

Looking forward to your thoughts on both ........
Right, if anything, this is leaning more towards heavy metal / US power metal in certain ways than what is considered real doom. Besides the fact that there are some obvious candlemass “rip offs” here and there, this reminds me more of jag panzer than of a doom band (although, nowhere near as fast paced as JP sometimes is).

This is “doom for those who don’t like doom” - and you can quote me on that ;)

For a true doom fan this falls short, and it’s gonna be hard pushed to crack my top 50 this year.
Claus Jensen