Mixed bag of new-to-me goodies

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

Mixed bag of new-to-me goodies

Post by Random Axe » Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 am

I haven't rally cared for many new releases so far this year but am having a great time discovering stuff I'd missed out on over the last few decades. Here are some new and old albums I've recently stumbled upon that deserve mention

Course of Fate - This Norwegian band is self-described as a mix of Queensryche and Evergrey. While they don't have the same pedigree the comp isn't too far off the mark. They have some deep, dark compositions with lots of feel and melody. I have no memory of them being mentioned here. They have an EP called Cognizance and the new one coming called Mindweaver. Highly recommended.

Echosoul - Really cool, melodic metal band from Ft. Wayne, Indiana. They are in the same vein as Iced Earth, Archetype. They have their debut album for DL now but physical copies are coming in June.

Artical - I had never , ever heard of this band till a few days ago. This is a Greek melodic power-prog band with Mark Boals. I was never a huge fan of his till recently, and this album, Illusion X, really shows what he is capable of. This falls in the Yngwie/Odyssey meets Labyrinth wheelhouse.

FIrstbourne - I know I've mentioned them recently but I'll do it again and not feel a bit sorry. This is some very positive, uplifting melodic metal that reminds me very much of Psyco Drama and a little of Guardian. The guitarist and main composer Mike Herr is the touring guitarist for Michael Sweet and Tony Harnell and acts as guitar tech and occasional soloist for Stryper on tour.

The Codex - FOllowing up on Artical, this is another of Mark Boal's bands/projects. This is the one that opened my eyed to his talents. This time he teams with Magnus Karlsson with some fantastic melodic rock/metal. This is textbook Magnus all over the album but it has a little more progressive qualities that lean towards maybe Artension? Anyway, great stuff.

Shelter/FIrst Stop - We're going back a long way on this one. I can't understand how this was so overlooked over the years. This is from 1983. This is squarely in the same camp as Alias, Sherriff, Survivor and some radio friendly Kansas. This singer Joe Lamonte, is a badass, so crystal clear. He's just about at Freddi Curci levels here.

Steeplechase - Going back further till 1981 is another melodic band similar to the above Shelter and has the same singer. Not quite as polished as Shelter but still impressive.

Girish and the Chronicles - Yes, their first single was amazing and currently is my favorite song of 2020, but the rest of the album isn't anywhere close to that quality outside of their acoustic tune Walking the Line. It's more of a Motley Crue, Skid Row, Sleez Beez album, which is not the sandbox I normally play in.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Mixed bag of new-to-me goodies

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Sat May 23, 2020 5:13 pm

The Codex - FOllowing up on Artical, this is another of Mark Boal's bands/projects. This is the one that opened my eyed to his talents. This time he teams with Magnus Karlsson with some fantastic melodic rock/metal. This is textbook Magnus all over the album but it has a little more progressive qualities that lean towards maybe Artension? Anyway, great stuff.
This is maybe my favorite overall Magnus album. Allen/Lande I probably has higher highs, but front to back Codex is flat out STRONG. Like you said, wee bit more proggy..... I would almost compare to a Vanden Plas style of writing.

Looking forward to checking out Course of Fate and Artical for sure, and Girish was on my radar already from another post.

Like you said, it hasn't been a very strong year overall, but I'm seeing a lot of better than average straightforward rock albums.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Sat May 23, 2020 8:52 pm

This year has been fantastic for me musically! I enjoyed the hell out of all of the new ones from:

Ad Infinitum
Altesia
Aeternam
Aether Realm
Allen/Olzon
Caligula's Horse
Conception
DeadRisen
Delain
Dynazty
Electric Mob
Flies are Spies from Hell
Girish and the Chronicles
Green Carnation
Haken
H.E.A.T
Illumishade
Katatonia
The Night Flight Orchestra
Nightwish
Paralydium
Sorcerer
Thoughts Factory
Toundra
Trivium

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun May 24, 2020 8:26 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:13 pm
This is maybe my favorite overall Magnus album. Allen/Lande I probably has higher highs, but front to back Codex is flat out STRONG.
I think the only one that gets less attention is the one he made with Tony O'Hora.

The Codex is certainly good. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I remember "Garden Of Grief" is one of Magnus' best songs. But I still say my favorite of all his albums is the one he made with Catley, but they're all so similar it's probably just that he's worked with a lot of other singers I'm not quite as fond of as him.

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Sun May 24, 2020 11:46 am

Random Axe wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 am

Course of Fate - This Norwegian band is self-described as a mix of Queensryche and Evergrey. While they don't have the same pedigree the comp isn't too far off the mark. They have some deep, dark compositions with lots of feel and melody. I have no memory of them being mentioned here. They have an EP called Cognizance and the new one coming called Mindweaver. Highly recommended.
the mix of QR and Evergrey intrigued me so I checked this one out. while I don't really agree they sound like either, this is nonetheless a great listen. I'm hearing something else in their sound and I can't quite place it and its driving me nuts. I'll recommend this to every one as well.

Scott B

Post by Scott B » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:53 am

The Course of Fate album is sitting at the top of my metal top 10 for the year. I think the QR/Everygrey description really misses the mark. To me, this album could have easily been a Fates Warning release between No Exit and APSOG. Can't wait to finally get the vinyl in hand!