Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant - my review

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Man Of Much Metal

Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant - my review

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Wed May 13, 2020 11:21 am

Hi Everyone,

I am desperately trying not to spam you all on this board with my waffle, but I really hope you'll be interested in my take on the brand new Caligula's Horse record that's out later this month. It's a pretty long review (about 1400 words), but I hope it provides an insight into what's to come from the Australian prog band.

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2020/05/13/c ... nt-review/

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers & stay safe everyone,

Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Nos

Re: Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant - my review

Post by Nos » Wed May 13, 2020 4:14 pm

I like it, as much as I can like djent-ish music. They do a very good job of putting good melodies to the heavy rhythms, but I get tired of the music being so much stuttering rhythm. I'll take them over any other djent band, but they're still best in limited quantities.

Then again, I'm apparently a moron.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed May 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Nos wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:14 pm
Not “apparently”. It’s a fact!
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed May 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:21 am
Hi Everyone,

I am desperately trying not to spam you all on this board with my waffle, but I really hope you'll be interested in my take on the brand new Caligula's Horse record that's out later this month. It's a pretty long review (about 1400 words), but I hope it provides an insight into what's to come from the Australian prog band.

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2020/05/13/c ... nt-review/

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers & stay safe everyone,

Matt
Great review Matt as always - albeit extremely long!

I agree with pretty much everything you write as to when it comes to this album. I just don’t feel the same way about their previous efforts (this is the first album I like from them - and I’d go as far as saying that I really really like it!!!). My main point of annoyance has been Grey’s voice - strange mumble and just not impressing me at all. This time around it works for me really well and I’m digging the album more and more with each spin (not at the 55 spin mark like you but close enough haha). You’re right about this being more of a prog than djent album (and that “oceanrise” is the most djenty of the songs), and I too hear some HAKEN inspiration. But mostly this actually reminds me a lot of Leprous’ “Malina” in that it’s this really rhythmic approach that leans towards djent without being it, huge melodies, and it all centers around the effective beats and start/stop (like a light switch turned on/off) - super well done! Yes, Grey is nowhere near as amazing as Einar from Leprous but less can do it, and here it works fine.

C.
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Wed May 13, 2020 10:39 pm

Nos wrote:
I like it, as much as I can like djent-ish music. They do a very good job of putting good melodies to the heavy rhythms, but I get tired of the music being so much stuttering rhythm. I'll take them over any other djent band, but they're still best in limited quantities.

Are you a metalhead? NO
Have you ever been to see a metal band live? NO
Do you like Judas Priest? NO
Have you got any credibility regarding metal? NO

Do you seek attention? YES
Generally very negative? YES

Moron no, but as Eric Adams once told us 'wimps and p(n)osers leave the hall'

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu May 14, 2020 4:55 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:39 pm
Nos wrote:

Are you a metalhead? NO
Have you ever been to see a metal band live? NO
Do you like Judas Priest? NO
Have you got any credibility regarding metal? NO

Do you seek attention? YES
Generally very negative? YES

Moron no, but as Eric Adams once told us 'wimps and p(n)osers leave the hall'
Hah, well said.

Although, the definition of a "moron" is a "very stupid person" according to Merriam-Webster, and I'd say that someone who keeps repeating really stupid actions over-and-over fits that bill. Nos has a very negative attitude about almost everything, and when pointed out he goes into this defensive mode where he plays the victim every single time. Over the years I've many times tried to take his side and say "hey come on, it's all good - just stay positive and we'll welcome you with open arms", but his attitude hasn't changed, and after we've all multiple times explained to him that a metal forum like this isn't really the place for him to post his primarily non-metal opinions, he still have chosen to stick around. With that choice also comes me labeling him a moron, and I'll be happy to continue doing so for the next several years to come.
Claus Jensen

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 pm

introclaus wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Great review Matt as always - albeit extremely long!

Thank you Claus, I appreciate it...and yes, I always try to shorten my reviews but end up making them longer. I think I'll always be a long review guy!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/