Within Temptation - Entertain You

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Within Temptation - Entertain You

Post by introclaus » Sun May 10, 2020 7:37 am

New single has been out for a few days now and I’m totally loving it. Then again, I love the last album and this is more of the same style, perhaps going even more into the “extreme” (read: pop territory). If you’re stuck in only liking a band up until they changed style the first time (hey Larry :)) then you’re going to hate this, but if you keep an open mind You should find something to like here. This is pop-metal with a huge chorus and I’ve been singing it non stop this weekend. Sharon and Robert proves why WT is head and shoulders in front of any other of the bands to come out of this style - their songwriting is so commercial and yet so classy.

Now, with that said, what I don’t like is the lyrics - this could be a “love gone wrong” kind of tune (“ I know that smile, so I should've known - You sold me out for a reckless bet, you burnt me”) but I think that the lyrics are a dig at certain world leaders (“ Get your fix sitting on your throne - Want it all and the price, it doesn't matter - The world is yours, and you think you know, know it all”) and that’s a little too much of a libtard move for me to really care about. Anyway, there’s room for everyone here (except Nos), so if that’s how they feel then good for them.

Anyway, if you haven’t already go check out the song - for pop metal it doesn’t get much better, and whether you feel a band should be allowed to change style or not, this is still Within Temptation to me.

https://youtu.be/e0xpemwYe-o
Last edited by introclaus on Sun May 10, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Re: Within Temptation - Entertain You

Post by Nos » Sun May 10, 2020 11:12 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:37 am
I love the last album and this is more of the same styl
I don't agree at all. I liked "Resist" a lot too, but that was classier pop than whatever this song is. This sounds like Within Temptation trying to be Five Finger Death Punch. That opening riff and the male vocals are straight-up bro rock, which I have always loathed, and it doesn't mesh at all with Sharon's pop leanings. Put that chorus with a better riff, and it could be a good song.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun May 10, 2020 11:21 am

I didn't like Resist, and I don't like this one either....... yes, I think it's classy and what they do, they do with extreme polish and precision ........ but this poppy approach they have been going in on the last few discs is losing me with each release, and this will be no different. I didn't care for the song, even though I found it quite heavy for the style, but why they keep bringing in pop / rap / country singers with every release is beyond me......I know they have a pattern now, but I was hoping for a break in it....nope. Same old.

I've got so many cds and dvds by this band, I'm ok with this direction they have taken over the last few years and I don't mind being left behind ...... the wife still loves them, so I'll get it for her, but I've been done since oh ...... Hydra I guess .......

And please Sharon - lose the pink hair. :cry:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun May 10, 2020 11:33 am

Nos wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:12 am
introclaus wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:37 am
I love the last album and this is more of the same styl
I don't agree at all. I liked "Resist" a lot too, but that was classier pop than whatever this song is. This sounds like Within Temptation trying to be Five Finger Death Punch. That opening riff and the male vocals are straight-up bro rock, which I have always loathed, and it doesn't mesh at all with Sharon's pop leanings. Put that chorus with a better riff, and it could be a good song.
Yeah but you know what you can do with your opinion ... go somewhere else. Moron.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 am

LarryD wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:21 am
I didn't like Resist, and I don't like this one either....... yes, I think it's classy and what they do, they do with extreme polish and precision ........ but this poppy approach they have been going in on the last few discs is losing me with each release, and this will be no different. I didn't care for the song, even though I found it quite heavy for the style, but why they keep bringing in pop / rap / country singers with every release is beyond me......I know they have a pattern now, but I was hoping for a break in it....nope. Same old.

I've got so many cds and dvds by this band, I'm ok with this direction they have taken over the last few years and I don't mind being left behind ...... the wife still loves them, so I'll get it for her, but I've been done since oh ...... Hydra I guess .......

ha, I was pretty certain that you wouldn't like it - and that's fine. You at least gave it a shot.
Claus
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun May 10, 2020 2:29 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:33 am
Yeah but you know what you can do with your opinion ... go somewhere else. Moron.
A couple comments here, a couple more on the Power Zone board, and you're the only one really liking this song. I feel fine with my opinion.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun May 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Nos wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:29 pm
introclaus wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:33 am
A couple comments here, a couple more on the Power Zone board, and you're the only one really liking this song. I feel fine with my opinion.
Doesn’t change the fact you’re a complete moron. Someone who has no clue what he is talking about. Go away troll.
Claus Jensen

ToddinMN

Post by ToddinMN » Mon May 11, 2020 4:35 pm

I'm with Claus on this one. This song is catchy as hell. Great stuff!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 pm

The song is catchy as hell ... in fact, it's wife approved, although all Sharon is wife approved. But, in contrast to what they "were" to what they are now ( pop ), it just doesn't sit well with me .... I don't expect them to be Mother Earth anymore, but I also don't expect this poppy / rappy thing they keep incorporating into their music, and bringing in outside singers as " guests " ...... come on man, get back to the Jillian vibe !!!!!!!

I know Claus - all in the name of progressive. :wink:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon May 11, 2020 5:31 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 pm
The song is catchy as hell ... in fact, it's wife approved, although all Sharon is wife approved. But, in contrast to what they "were" to what they are now ( pop ), it just doesn't sit well with me .... I don't expect them to be Mother Earth anymore, but I also don't expect this poppy / rappy thing they keep incorporating into their music, and bringing in outside singers as " guests " ...... come on man, get back to the Jillian vibe !!!!!!!

I know Claus - all in the name of progressive. :wink:
Nah, it’s not about being “progressive” in their case, it’s just natural “progression”. Why stay in the same lane all your life if you want to / are able to do something different? They are one of the few bands that actually are capable of writing amazing songs in both the doom goth genre, the symphonic (b&b) genre and also in the pop metal genre. They can be successful at it all, and if you can do all that and are still having fun as a band, well then by all means, choose the path that brings you most success and money! I’m all for this. And keep in mind, I’ve been a fan since “Enter” (I did an interview with them back then right after the debut even...), and I still don’t mind that they’ve changed over the years. Sometimes you’re just acting “old” Larry hahaha.
Claus Jensen

ToddinMN

Post by ToddinMN » Mon May 11, 2020 5:33 pm

I'm just thankful that most folks on this site post direct links to songs. In this case, I haven't really followed Within Temptation for quite a while. Without the link, I would have probably just glazed over the post and moved on, and missed out on a killer song. Another instance is Dynazty. Over the years I assumed they were just hard rock band and never took the time to check them out. But I ended up loving the Dark Delight after checking out the link to Presence of Mind.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu May 28, 2020 6:27 am

LarryD wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:21 am

Larry, she listened ... no pink hair ... time to get your eyes checked bro

https://youtu.be/a7-8hK2f_So
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 am

[/quote]

Larry, she listened ... no pink hair ... time to get your eyes checked bro

https://youtu.be/a7-8hK2f_So
[/quote]

****Pink, orange, green ... what's the difference ? At this point she is trying to emulate the masses of teens that adore her ....... that's my take on it. I'm firmly planted in the Charlotte camp right now - I really have lost interest in WT over the past 3 discs ....... but that's ok, I'm good with it ...... we had a good run.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu May 28, 2020 12:42 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 am
***Pink, orange, green ... what's the difference ? At this point she is trying to emulate the masses of teens that adore her ....... that's my take on it. I'm firmly planted in the Charlotte camp right now - I really have lost interest in WT over the past 3 discs ....... but that's ok, I'm good with it ...... we had a good run.
That’s just so strange - she sounds and looks like someone who’s very happy with what she is doing. Did you watch the video? She is all big smiles (lol - pun intended)!
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 28, 2020 2:29 pm

she sounds and looks like someone who’s very happy with what she is doing.
***Yes but I'm not ....... ( and I mean not happy with what she is doing, so as not to give you any more ammo ). :wink:

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu May 28, 2020 10:53 pm

Having never been into Within Temptation I have to say this song is...boring? It's very pop formulaic, but with some heavy riffs. As a buddy of mine says, this is "comfort food metal." I don't feel there's an even comparison to be made between this and Delain's current work, to be honest.