Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) is back .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) is back .......

Post by LarryD » Wed May 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Glenn pointed me in the direction of Eric Clayton's new disc - A Thousand Scars........ https://ericclaytonandthenine.bandcamp.com/releases

After playing Track 9, Chasing Monsters, I bought the disc off of Bandcamp blindly. It marks the return of Eric Clayton after a long, long separation from the music world due to an illness.......you can read about that, and his new disc, here.......

https://www.headbangerslifestyle.com/al ... ndependent

If I was trying to describe this disc, this article above hits it right on the head, perfectly. If you read it, and get the feeling that Eric is or was emotionally wrecked, you also hit it on the head. The disc wreaks of torment, agony, emotion and bleakness.....it's dark, beautiful, and not for the faint of heart. It's funny, and ironic - when I first played it, my wife walked into the room and said, " that's awful, that sounds like David Bowie singing Satanic songs " ...... after I laughed a bit, I thought about it, and she is right ... that's exactly what it sounds like. I quickly explained who Eric was and what it was all about ... she later commented on how tortured and sad this guy sounds while singing this.....again, she is right. It's beautiful - beautifully dark - and if anyone can get across their feelings through music, it's Eric Clayton.

If you are a fan of Saviour Machine in general, you might be disappointed with this ...... it's hardly a band here. 75% vocals w/keyboards, 10% choirs, 10% drums, 5% guitar...... however, if you are a fan of Eric's voice, this will thrill you until you hear the lyrics and then the goosebumps will kick in and then you will question yourself when the next time will be when you want to listen to this one ......it's that dark.

The sound - is stunning. I instantly downloaded from Bandcamp - for $17, you get the MP3s (320), the 16-bit version and the 24-bit version. I burned the mp3s to a CD-R and I could not believe how good this sounded...... absolutely stunning. I cannot wait nor can I imagine what the 24-bit version is going to sound like ......

When you couple the sound of this thing, with the beautiful darkness ( and I emphasize the word Darkness ), you have a stunning piece of music that lasts 79 minutes, that won't let you go from the very beginning until the very end ...... and although you will comment on how awesome this thing is, you will also be happy that it ended.....how someone can marry the combination of beauty with darkness and approach this level, is beyond me ...... check out the tunes on Bandcamp and see for yourself..... but you won't get the full affect from it unless you sit in front of it with full attention, full sound, and a full glass of your choice of alcohol ........you will need all three, but the result is amazing.

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) is back .......

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Love Saviour Machine! Checking this out now. Great to hear his voice again. I think I just jizzed. :oops:

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Is Saviour Machine III still in the work or this solo album is the thing that replace it?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 pm
Is Saviour Machine III still in the work or this solo album is the thing that replace it?
***Gaetan - I don't know for sure, but I'd say that Saviour Machine III will never see the light of day ........ I can say that this new solo disc of his has nothing to do with SM......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed May 06, 2020 10:48 pm

I’m a Saviour Machine fan since the debut; heck, I reviewed their first 3 albums back in the day in Metalized Magazine(which was the biggest metal mag in Scandinavia then) and I did interviews with Eric a few times as well.

Spending a couple of hours with the new album - enough to spin this 75 minute monster almost three times - I can safely say that Eric is back, and while it’s not a very “metal” or overtly “guitar-heavy” album, It’s dark and gothic enough to measure up with Saviour Machine and it has plenty of “ooomph” to appeal to the prog metal audience. The “cold” and “electronic” journey that Legend took the band on is not to be found here - this is much warmer and closer to heart of Eric ... really a personal album.

I’ll be spending many many more hours with this over the coming weeks and months, but I’m already sold completely on this and I doubt any true Saviour Machine fan will be disappointed in any way whatsoever.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 pm
I can say that this new solo disc of his has nothing to do with SM......
Disagree completely!
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 07, 2020 8:35 am

introclaus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm
LarryD wrote:
Disagree completely!
***I would say that it's nowhere near what SM I & II are. And it's not nearly as epic as the trilogy. To me, SM felt more like a backing band to Eric's vocals .... now it sounds like it's just the vocals with little to no band behind him. Sure, it's got the vibe of SM, but I just don't think that this would fit the bill of another SM disc.... it's missing a lot of the components of the original.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:35 am
introclaus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm
LarryD wrote:
Disagree completely!
***I would say that it's nowhere near what SM I & II are. And it's not nearly as epic as the trilogy. To me, SM felt more like a backing band to Eric's vocals .... now it sounds like it's just the vocals with little to no band behind him. Sure, it's got the vibe of SM, but I just don't think that this would fit the bill of another SM disc.... it's missing a lot of the components of the original.
I'll give you that it has nothing to do with SM I & II as such, but this could easily have been the final part of Legend (sans the cold electronic vibe that they somehow got on the later Legend parts). This sounds like noone else but SM ...
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm

I have absolutely zero point of reference with this conversation. I've never had a SM album and have barely ever heard anything from them. I saw a video of their 1995 concert that looked pretty cool but so damn overly dramatic. I guess that's probably the whole point. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with these guys, and I have exactly none of bands in my collection similar. He's a pretty terrific singer from a technical perspective especially with him moving around the stage using an Madonna earpiece mic. He's like a mix of Peter Steele and Roy Khan.

I have so much right now I haven't taken out of the shrinkwrap I'd be hesitant to go down this road, but I feel compelled to try.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 07, 2020 4:51 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm
I have absolutely zero point of reference with this conversation. I've never had a SM album and have barely ever heard anything from them. I saw a video of their 1995 concert that looked pretty cool but so damn overly dramatic. I guess that's probably the whole point. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with these guys, and I have exactly none of bands in my collection similar. He's a pretty terrific singer from a technical perspective especially with him moving around the stage using an Madonna earpiece mic. He's like a mix of Peter Steele and Roy Khan.

I have so much right now I haven't taken out of the shrinkwrap I'd be hesitant to go down this road, but I feel compelled to try.
***Scott I don't know if you meant to try SM or his new solo disc ...... I'm not sure SM is your thing. Nor would his solo disc either..... I don't see either in your collection...... As far as Eric goes, you're halfway there, he is a mix of Peter Steele and David Bowie..... in fact, Eric and his brother Jeff released a tribute disc to David Bowie.

If you were going to give SM a try - I always tell people to start with SM II ...... some will tell you SM I, but you can't go wrong with either...... again, knowing you, I would proceed with caution......

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu May 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Fuck caution, I just ordered. I got the Euro pressing if that means anything. Got it for 14 dollars. I've spent that much on an overpriced bad sandwich, so I'm cool with it. At least I'll finally know about them.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 pm

SM I and SM II are essential albums to me. SM II has a better production but songwriting wise, for me, it's a tie.
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:57 pm
Fuck caution, I just ordered. I got the Euro pressing if that means anything. Got it for 14 dollars. I've spent that much on an overpriced bad sandwich, so I'm cool with it. At least I'll finally know about them.
****What did you order ?

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm

I got SM II!

The cover is much different than US version. I'm actually looking forward to testing my goth tolerance threshold

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu May 07, 2020 9:51 pm

I got SM II!
Can't wait for you to hear American Babylon!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri May 08, 2020 7:31 am

Random Axe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm
I got SM II!

The cover is much different than US version. I'm actually looking forward to testing my goth tolerance threshold
***Really looking forward to your thoughts on this .........

sez

Post by sez » Fri May 08, 2020 5:57 pm

You could just, you know, listen to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JgoLvW-Nv4

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Thu May 14, 2020 5:43 am

Random Axe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm
I got SM II!

Have you not heard the first SM album? Pretty essential for prog metal and goth metal and...well metal in general. It's just a magnificent album start to finish.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 am

So, I listned to II and was exhausted after the first four songs. His five note range was wearing on me, and based on vocals I couldn't tell any song apart. I can understand this being a novelty act in the late 90s, early 2000s that enthralled the masses because of its uniqueness. That I get. I just don't think new listeners like me, having experienced the last 20 years of prog and metal evolution, can form attachments like those who have been playing this for that same length of time.

I'm not done with this at all. It's just impossible to play songs back to back for me. I'll add this into my massive playlist and shuffle. If it's between other bands and songs perhaps I can appreciate and like it more. .

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 am

Random Axe wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 am
So, I listned to II and was exhausted after the first four songs. His five note range was wearing on me, and based on vocals I couldn't tell any song apart. I can understand this being a novelty act in the late 90s, early 2000s that enthralled the masses because of its uniqueness. That I get. I just don't think new listeners like me, having experienced the last 20 years of prog and metal evolution, can form attachments like those who have been playing this for that same length of time.

I'm not done with this at all. It's just impossible to play songs back to back for me. I'll add this into my massive playlist and shuffle. If it's between other bands and songs perhaps I can appreciate and like it more. .
****This is a really good assessment of what it is like to listen to SM - especially now. I think you are onto something with that 20-year evolution comment, I might even start another post based just on that as I suffer from that as well ......

It is quite difficult to listen to SM on a regular basis - for me, it always had to be a mood thing, and when it came time to listen to the Trilogy, I don't ever remember getting thru it all at once .....

I'm also sure that this new disc of Eric's is appealing to some of us because we haven't heard him quite some time, and also it's not Saviour Machine backing him, it's a much less soundscape that we have to focus on ...... which is also why I said in my initial comments that this new disc had nothing to do with SM other than the vocals....... As I tell anyone who ventures into Saviour Machine territory, if you don't like SM II or SM I, you won't like the rest of SM .......and that's due to exactly what you said above .......

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 am

As I tell anyone who ventures into Saviour Machine territory, if you don't like SM II or SM I, you won't like the rest of SM .......and that's due to exactly what you said above .......
Agree. If you really want exhausting the Legend trilogy is MUCH more theatrical. :P

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 am
As I tell anyone who ventures into Saviour Machine territory, if you don't like SM II or SM I, you won't like the rest of SM .......and that's due to exactly what you said above .......
Agree. If you really want exhausting the Legend trilogy is MUCH more theatrical. :P
****You got that right -- that's a tough listen even with your favorite drink in hand .......or drinks ........ :wink: Exhausting is the key word there ........ but the writing of those things are incredible ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu May 14, 2020 4:58 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 pm
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 am
****You got that right -- that's a tough listen even with your favorite drink in hand .......or drinks ........ :wink: Exhausting is the key word there ........ but the writing of those things are incredible ........
100% on board with that - incredible albums, but so difficult to listen to.

I don't get that with the first two (the "difficult to listen to" part) albums, as I can pretty much put them on and play them whenever I want to. Eric is such a wonderful vocalist and his live show performances are over-the-top dramatic. So good!
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Thu May 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 am

My 2 favorite tracks on SM II are "Enter The Idol" and "The Stand". Maybe this could help...

On SM I my 2 favorite tracks are "Carnival Of Souls" and "Killer".
Gaétan

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 pm

I don't dislike this at all. I can only take this in small doses. I'm not sure how I'd make it through a full two hour live show of this. being beat over the head with sad, introspective biblical themes would either end up being a religious experience or a yest of patience. I'm sure it's great and well executed, just not for me.

For my money, if I want a progressive rock or metal opera/production/theatrical performance I'll defer to Xystus - Equillibrio. I still need to find this on DVD.

sez

Post by sez » Fri May 15, 2020 1:58 pm

As everyone else said, it's definitely a mood thing. At this point in my life, I'll probably go a year or more between listening to some SM. And yes, all of their albums, with the possible exception of SM I, are completely exhausting to listen to and require work to appreciate. Starting out with SM I might have been better for you.

FrancoTAU

Post by FrancoTAU » Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Yeah, I always loved them in small doses. 70 minutes straight of slow, sad opera metal would always be too much. I have to find those CDs, it's been awhile since I've listened.
-Kevin

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun May 17, 2020 2:03 pm

FrancoTAU wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 pm
Yeah, I always loved them in small doses. 70 minutes straight of slow, sad opera metal would always be too much. I have to find those CDs, it's been awhile since I've listened.
***He lives !!!!!!!! Good to see you bro ............

FrancoTAU

Post by FrancoTAU » Sun May 17, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks! Quarantine helps with catching up with everything. Kind of been a half ass with just listening to some new stuff on Youtube while at work the last couple years. I hope to stick around for a bit!
-Kevin

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 pm

I do like the new solo album. The production is excellent and back where Saviour Machine II left. The songwriting is very good and even more. There is something for the Saviour Machine fans. But we have to expect something more laid back in general.
Gaétan