How is everyone doing?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

How is everyone doing?

Post by Random Axe » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 pm

This isn't really a music post, more of a humanitarian one. Obviously we're in a new world now and a lot of our lives have been affected or disrupted. I was curious how everyone is coping and how. For me, I manage a bank so we're considered essential, and my branch is one of a few still open to walk in clients.

My therapy has been to tap into YouTube and have some background metal in my office. Doing this lead to some of my rediscoveries mentioned in my other thread and reminded me I own one of the best albums ever in our genre that I hadn't played in ten years, House of Spirits Turn of the Tide.

I hope everyone is taking precautions and staying safe.

Psychotic Symphony

Re: How is everyone doing?

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:55 am

I'm a nurse for the NHS, I do not currently work with covid patients, but I soon will. Our ward does not have an outbreak (they are mental health and elderly patients) but the one next to us has half infected with more to come. They gained a case and because they did not have the right PPE it ravaged the staff and the patients.
I could write for ages about we have been absolutely dicked over by our conservative government and local NHS board but I'm not going to here.
I am not coping well but I am coping better than I thought. It is only a matter of time before I am infected. My wife is considered "shielded" and of high risk. If she gets it she will get it from me and has a real possibility of dying. I may even die (I have asthma).

Occupation health said I have to work despite knowing all this.

In other news I'm enjoying thrash metal (the more melodic types, F&J, Kreator, POlarized, Meshiaak) and would love to know more to check out.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Yeah it’s definitely a different world we’re living in these days.

I work as a project manager for a web and application development team doing websites for NIH, so our focus in the last two months have been “promoting” various scientific advancements and updated public information on the whole COVID-19 situation. Lots of work but luckily we are all able to do so from home.

Personally I’m fine - physically and mentally - have been very strict about “isolating” myself from the rest of the world. When schools here in NC shut down I had my son the first 3 weeks, and the last 3 he has been with my ex-wife. We still meet up a few times a week in parking lots and park the cars with an empty parking spot between us, so we can get some face-to-face time haha. Of course we use “FaceTime” on our phones every day but actually seeing each other in person is different. Since schools aren’t going back in until next school year, we’ve gotta come up with a solution when my ex-wife goes back to work in a few weeks - probably the kiddo will come back to my place, but it’s still a bit scary as I’m one of those in the high risk category myself and even if they’ve been good about staying away from too many people there’s always that bit of uncertainty.

That said, I’m feeling good, I still have my job, and my family is safe, so I’m not complaining.

Hope everyone else is doing okay!!!
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:49 pm

I work for a direct mail outfit and somehow we're considered essentially communications. So I'm working, but thankfully doing so from home.

It's...hard. The kiddo has no real outlets for her natural 8yo energy, and we can't give her all of our attention because my wife and I are both working. Baseline stress and anxiety levels are through the roof, the idiotic locals aren't taking it nearly as seriously as they need to (grocery shopping makes me want to murder people right now). That said, no one in my immediate connections has gotten it yet, but I do have some friends and friends of friends that haven't been so lucky.

It's a shame we don't have a government worth the flesh they're printed on. That would be a significant help. At least my state gov isn't completely worthless.

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 pm

Doing the best that I can. I am VERY fortunate my wife has a very good job and is able to work from home. I've been a stay at home dad more or less since my son was 2, working part time around my wife's schedule, and have been doing so for the last ten years. I currently work at a sporting goods store and since they sell firearms they are considered essential. After their piss poor attempt to "sanitize" the store everyday, I told them I didn't feel comfortable working there and have been on a leave of absence since the middle of March. My son is now 12 and is doing all his school work online as required by the school system. My current duties are to keep the house clean, fix meals, and keep the cat away from my wife when she is on conference calls (he is a yowler).

I have been trying to learn to play the guitar during this time and that has its ups and downs. My fingers don't like to make the chords to well and I get frustrated with it from time to time.

Just hoping we can try to get back to normal at a reasonable time, I'm sure we all miss our old lifestyles.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:18 pm

I run the fulfillment operation for a fitness and nutrition company, so thankfully am in an "essential" industry that is getting hit heavy with order volume. Unfortunately, we did have a small wave (3) of positive cases hit our center, one of which is someone I work very closely with, so I am currently halfway through my mandatory 14-day quarantine / work from home session to make sure I am not infected. (Thus far no symptoms....) I am NOT a fan of working from home.... Never have been. I'm just not as productive, and I HATE not being able to be hands on.

Kids are e-learning for the balance of the school year, and that has been the toughest part so far. My daughter is in fifth grade and has a lot of big events this year that she is now missing out on. We keep reassuring her that while this certainly does stink, there are lots of people missing out on a whole lot more.... Not that that always helps with an 11 year old.

Otherwise, everyone here is staying positive and rolling with the punches as they come, and just thankful we still have a solid paycheck coming in.

Musically, I'm missing out on 75 minutes a day in commute where I usually focus on new releases. In the home office I'm in and out enough I don't try listening to "new" stuff, and instead just put the entire collection on randomize via the PC so have been hearing some VERY old stuff I haven't touched in ages. Some good, some... Not so good.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ProgPower, as I have a new attendee who REALLY wants to go this year (big fan of Night Flight and JSS's Queen set) and I promised to go with him....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:50 am

I work for a mutual fund company, so luckily I'm able to work from home as well...........Hopefully we can all put this behind us soon. Economy is going to be rough for awhile, but glad to hear that different places around the world are showing the amount of Cases slowly Flattening..........I think we are about 2 to 3 weeks behind some of those places, but here in Sacramento the amount of cases aren't so bad and the spread is already slowly.........

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm

Pretty much hanging out and doing house projects - what else is there ?

Got a new job in March, got laid off in March .... can't collect because I didn't work long enough. Home drinking wine, rum and listening to tons of music .........

Starting to get some cabin fever -- but we take rides and walks to offset some of it ........ thank the gods that the liquor stores are considered essential, I always thought they were and I'm glad the rest of the nation agrees ........ :P

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm
thank the gods that the liquor stores are considered essential, I always thought they were and I'm glad the rest of the nation agrees ........ :P
I think one of the point to leave liquor stores open, is if they close them, that would increase traffic in groceries (they sell beers, wine, etc.)
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:57 am

GaetanL wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 pm
LarryD wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm
thank the gods that the liquor stores are considered essential, I always thought they were and I'm glad the rest of the nation agrees ........ :P
I think one of the point to leave liquor stores open, is if they close them, that would increase traffic in groceries (they sell beers, wine, etc.)
****I also think they are considered a food source ......... :wink:

Norén

Post by Norén » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:14 am

I'm working on a small book publishing company of only 5 people. We go to work as usual. Wash our hands every day the first thing we do.
Book sales are no good since there aren't much people in the shops, but at least they are not closed here in Sweden like in many other countries. And poeople still want to release their books so at least we can charge some for creating them.

My youngest kid still goes to school as usual. My oldest son is having lessons from home.

I know a few people that have had Covid but they are all well again.

Stay safe out there!
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

BC

Post by BC » Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Psychotic Symphony wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:55 am
I'm a nurse for the NHS, I do not currently work with covid patients, but I soon will. Our ward does not have an outbreak (they are mental health and elderly patients) but the one next to us has half infected with more to come. They gained a case and because they did not have the right PPE it ravaged the staff and the patients.
I could write for ages about we have been absolutely dicked over by our conservative government and local NHS board but I'm not going to here.
I am not coping well but I am coping better than I thought. It is only a matter of time before I am infected. My wife is considered "shielded" and of high risk. If she gets it she will get it from me and has a real possibility of dying. I may even die (I have asthma).

In other news I'm enjoying thrash metal (the more melodic types, F&J, Kreator, POlarized, Meshiaak) and would love to know more to check out.
I would normally ask this kind of question as a joke, but this time I’m stone cold serious: are you allowed to wear a hazmat suit in your workplace?
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Thu May 07, 2020 4:36 am

BC wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm
Psychotic Symphony wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:55 am

I would normally ask this kind of question as a joke, but this time I’m stone cold serious: are you allowed to wear a hazmat suit in your workplace?
In short, no. You can peruse this abomination at your leisure https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ontext.pdf
I work in secondary care so this applies to me and it highly depends on the situation and person. What kind of stuff are you supposed to wear if you have an inpatient who won't self-isolate or wear a mask and will happily fight you? It would be easy if they just said "wear everything you got" but there isn't enough PPE nationally to let this happen so you have to make some concession and hope for the best. The stuff I wear is ski goggles (to fit over my glasses), surgical fluid resistant mask, gloves and plastic apron. For a while they weren't providing eye protection of any sort and that caused ridiculous sickness leave (50-80% of regular staff off at once with confirmed covid-19 infection).
The update is we have had an outbreak in my ward. I can't give numbers. It -appears- to be under control for the moment but because the disease is highly contagious and has a ridiculous incubation period it will be hard to know for sure for another month. Keep safe everyone!
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Norén wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:14 am
I'm working on a small book publishing company of only 5 people. We go to work as usual. Wash our hands every day the first thing we do.
Book sales are no good since there aren't much people in the shops, but at least they are not closed here in Sweden like in many other countries. And poeople still want to release their books so at least we can charge some for creating them.

My youngest kid still goes to school as usual. My oldest son is having lessons from home.

I know a few people that have had Covid but they are all well again.

Stay safe out there!
Hey Matthias,
Hope you’re still staying safe bro!

Without trying to turn this board into a political discussion forum, how do you as a Swede see this whole Covid-19 situation? Your country chose not to close down when everyone else did, and the latest numbers I’ve seen are now saying that Sweden has the highest numbers of deaths per million worldwide - even higher than Italy, UK and Spain! Do you feel that your country did the wrong thing by not shutting down or was it the right decision?

Here in NC we are slowly opening up some things again, and it’s obviously going to be interesting to see how that’ll go.

C.
Claus Jensen

Norén

Post by Norén » Sun May 17, 2020 3:21 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Hey Matthias,

Without trying to turn this board into a political discussion forum, how do you as a Swede see this whole Covid-19 situation? Your country chose not to close down when everyone else did, and the latest numbers I’ve seen are now saying that Sweden has the highest numbers of deaths per million worldwide - even higher than Italy, UK and Spain! Do you feel that your country did the wrong thing by not shutting down or was it the right decision?

Here in NC we are slowly opening up some things again, and it’s obviously going to be interesting to see how that’ll go.

C.

I still think that most of us think we have done the right thing. The economy in Sweden have not suffered as much as in other countries. But of couse some bad desicions have been made. It all started when people got back home from skiing in Italy. Of course those that had been there should have been kept isolated. AND we have not taken the the right precautions when it comes to the elerly people. Most deaths have been in homes for old people.

But really, who can tell what's right or wrong at this time? Some countries open up now, but who says it doesn't start all over again?

And you are wrong avut the statistics. The numbers of deaths per million is highest in Belgium, followed by Spain, Italy, UK and France and then Sweden on sixth.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... habitants/
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun May 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Norén wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:21 pm
introclaus wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Hey Matthias,

C.

I still think that most of us think we have done the right thing. The economy in Sweden have not suffered as much as in other countries. But of couse some bad desicions have been made. It all started when people got back home from skiing in Italy. Of course those that had been there should have been kept isolated. AND we have not taken the the right precautions when it comes to the elerly people. Most deaths have been in homes for old people.

But really, who can tell what's right or wrong at this time? Some countries open up now, but who says it doesn't start all over again?

And you are wrong avut the statistics. The numbers of deaths per million is highest in Belgium, followed by Spain, Italy, UK and France and then Sweden on sixth.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... habitants/
The statistic I saw was based on a weekly average per million measured from the first day Of 0.1 death (whatever that means):
https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?ar ... ues=deaths

Anyway, I hear you; looks like the skiing vacations were the culprit in Denmark too (those that had been in Austria brought it to DK). And yes, the elderly for sure were most hurt there as well.

I read somewhere as well that the Swedish economy has taken the same financial hit as the danish (or close at least) with around 25% decline in spending.
Claus Jensen

FrancoTAU

Post by FrancoTAU » Sun May 17, 2020 6:15 pm

I'm basically in the epicenter of the US breakout here in NYC. i know a bunch of family and friends who had it, but luckily they all turned out fine. A couple elderly family members of some friends died though. This weekend it seems like everyone just gave up on the quarantine. The streets and stores are all crowded. People loitering outside bars and restaurants.
-Kevin

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:40 pm

Wow, apparently I've been away from the board for a while. Didn't realize it had been so long. I got a bit of music burn out last year so have been taking a break for a while. Then the world changed overnight.

I'm a software engineer for a large semiconductor company and have been mostly working from home since March 13. So I do consider myself very fortunate that I've been able to keep working and keep my job. They are making 25% of us go back to work each week, but they seem to be taking appropriate precautions to keep us safe. Things have been really busy at work so I've been working like crazy from home. Getting pretty sick of sitting in my office at home but am very thankful I've been able to stay isolated and so far avoid getting it. Getting outside to take bike rides has been my salvation. Going a bit stir crazy but who isn't?

I've discovered that the biggest advantage to working from home is drinking on the job! I've been sipping rum at the end of the day almost every day since I've been home.

I've tried really hard to do the right things to keep myself and my family safe from COVID. It all of a sudden became very real and close to home when my 80 year old mother tested positive on Sunday. My dad is about as high risk as you can get but fortunately he tested negative. They have barely left the house since this started so we have no idea how she could have gotten it. She has no symptoms either so perhaps it's a false positive test or maybe she's an asymptomatic carrier. Since I have been getting their groceries for them, my fear was that I contaminated her. We got tested and fortunately my family and I tested negative but it became very real for us.

I don't think our world can return to anything close to normal until they come up with a vaccine so I'm hoping I can wait it out until then.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:33 am

I'm definitely getting cabin fever......we get out now and then, to the usual suspect stores, but not having an entertainment is starting to get to me. What's worse, is that South Carolina went from being a very low spot for the virus, to now being claimed as a hot spot given the growth data....... that is not inspiring. Everything is open, but we are very wary of where we go. It's just sad being able to get about, but really having nowhere "fun" to go with the virus always looming overhead.

South Carolina went from 12th best state for the virus, down to 18th at the moment because of the rise in cases...... still not bad, but going down is not favorable at this time......

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:13 am

The lockdown has been weird. The wife and I have been very fortunate that we've been able to work from home. When I get stir crazy, I get out for a ride on the Harley. I've gotten about 1,000 miles worth of riding in since I got the bike back from winter storage. So that's been nice, especially early in the lockdown when the roads were practically empty. I sort of miss that.

On the flip side, I haven't been listening to music much at all these days. Prior to lockdown most of my listening wound up being during my commute, but lacking that, I haven't really bothered. I keep meaning to, but I get busy with work and it just doesn't happen. And after work hours are done, I want nothing more to do with my computer or audio gear, and just want to hang with the wife. *shrug*

I'm also concerned that things are reopening a little too quickly. If people were still being careful with proper physical distance and wearing masks, I wouldn't be so concerned, but many people seem to think that the lessened restrictions mean that it's OK to go back to normal... assuming they even believed that the lockdown was important in the first place, which many people do not. Thankfully, though, we can get grocery delivery so that my asthmatic, higher-risk ass can keep more isolated from the careless twits everywhere.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:24 pm

On the flip side, I haven't been listening to music much at all these days. Prior to lockdown most of my listening wound up being during my commute, but lacking that, I haven't really bothered. I keep meaning to, but I get busy with work and it just doesn't happen. And after work hours are done, I want nothing more to do with my computer or audio gear, and just want to hang with the wife. *shrug*
This is me, right here..... I got the green light to return to the office last week, so am working from the facility three days a week / home two, so have enjoyed getting that 60-70 minutes per day in the car to listen to some newer stuff. When at home, I usually just put the entire digital collection on shuffle, so have heard some tunes I have heard in AGES.

We took a trip up to Michigan a couple weeks back to visit family, and I put all the new 2020 releases in the car I hadn't heard yet, so got a chance to breeze through some stuff. Not quite the same with the volume not at 11, but still worth it to try and catch up a bit.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

BC

Post by BC » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:16 pm

In an update from me, I’ll be moving to New York by the end of summer. I lost my mom at the end of May, and am having to move because of it. I had been taking care of her for 10 years, and her income supported me. I can’t look for a job right now do to health issues and the virus BS, so trying to keep the current apartment is out of the question. I’m fortunate that a friend has incited me to live with him. I’ve sold off my toy and DVD collections, and can only take the essentials and my cat with me. My best friend has been helping me clean out my apartment and keeps saying the same thing; “what a waste”. I’m learning the very hard lesson that you can’t take it with you. I’m leaving behind some very good friends and family here in Ohio. One of my neighbors is Failed Creation from the PM:X boards! It’s been fun talking to him about prog/power metal. I’ll miss it. At least I can show my new roommate the glory that is Rush! :D
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm

BC wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:16 pm
In an update from me, I’ll be moving to New York by the end of summer. I lost my mom at the end of May, and am having to move because of it. I had been taking care of her for 10 years, and her income supported me. I can’t look for a job right now do to health issues and the virus BS, so trying to keep the current apartment is out of the question. I’m fortunate that a friend has incited me to live with him. I’ve sold off my toy and DVD collections, and can only take the essentials and my cat with me. My best friend has been helping me clean out my apartment and keeps saying the same thing; “what a waste”. I’m learning the very hard lesson that you can’t take it with you. I’m leaving behind some very good friends and family here in Ohio. One of my neighbors is Failed Creation from the PM:X boards! It’s been fun talking to him about prog/power metal. I’ll miss it. At least I can show my new roommate the glory that is Rush! :D
So sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, the health issues and being without a job. I hope you’ll get things back to “normal” as best as possible soon.
Claus Jensen

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:32 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:33 am
I'm definitely getting cabin fever......we get out now and then, to the usual suspect stores, but not having an entertainment is starting to get to me. What's worse, is that South Carolina went from being a very low spot for the virus, to now being claimed as a hot spot given the growth data....... that is not inspiring. Everything is open, but we are very wary of where we go. It's just sad being able to get about, but really having nowhere "fun" to go with the virus always looming overhead.

South Carolina went from 12th best state for the virus, down to 18th at the moment because of the rise in cases...... still not bad, but going down is not favorable at this time......
Larry as much as it sucks being stuck at home in South Carolina, I'll bet it's still better that being in Rhode Island with or without the virus! So at least there's that.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Larry as much as it sucks being stuck at home in South Carolina, I'll bet it's still better that being in Rhode Island with or without the virus! So at least there's that.
***Point taken Guy - and so true ........

BC

Post by BC » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm
BC wrote:
So sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, the health issues and being without a job. I hope you’ll get things back to “normal” as best as possible soon.
I took another hit today. I’ve posted about it in the pub.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 pm

BC wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm
introclaus wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm
BC wrote:
I took another hit today. I’ve posted about it in the pub.

****Sorry to hear about all of this bro ...... I do hope it gets better for you sooner than later.

jkl2000

Post by jkl2000 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 pm

First I wanted to say hi to everyone, especially LarryD! I just rejoined the board; I used to be on here a long time ago, back before the board split in two. I never understood what happened, but I know the side with LarryD is the one to be on! I used the same user name - LarryD, maybe you remember my old avatar was a picture of the ugly “pretty boy” from The Bay City Rollers, and that freaked you out? LOL! I originally came to the board on a recommendation from Ken Golden back in the late ‘90s. I’ll post on the other thread about rediscoveries because I had pretty much stopped listening to metal, but am having a renaissance like it seems a lot of people are!

Anyway, me and my family are doing well, if snapping at each other a bit. My wife doesn’t work and I was on a sort of hard to explain hiatus for a couple of years, but fortunately we’re well positioned to hang for a while, though I have started looking for work again. I’m a Technical Writer,and that work is almost all on contract these days, which blows.

We live near NYC in Westchester County, where fortunately the COVID numbers are low now. We have a 21 YO son who had to come home from college back in March - this Fall his senior year starts - somehow. And we have an 11 YO son who just finished fifth grade remotely. Governor Cuomo is supposed to let us know any day what the frack is happening this September. We have a100-page plan from the school but it’s all up in the air. Despite everything being nucking futs, we’re coping pretty well. We have some nice outdoor space and the community pool is open with social distancing, so we can’t complain.

I’ve been focusing on my health, have dropped a lot of weight and feeling better than ever really.

I hope everyone else is healthy, hanging in, and enjoying their music listening. Sorry this was so long winded!