Any Kansas fans?...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Any Kansas fans?...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:26 pm

New cd The Absence of Presence 6/26.

I thought the new song and trailer sound pretty decent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMOX5rSFb18
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Any Kansas fans?...

Post by LarryD » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:22 pm

I didn't hit the link yet -- but I'm having such a hard time doing any Kansas without Steve Walsh ...... one of my favorite bands of all time, and I can't get past them being without Steve Walsh even though I know he can't do it anymore....... I'm old school Kansas, it's tough to change me at this point ........ new singer is quite good, but it's becoming a tribute band at this point ......

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Yeah. I get it. Try to pretend it's a different band and enjoy it. :wink:

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:15 pm

I halfway agree with Larry on this cause I'm the same way with Styx. I refuse to see them live or buy an album without DeYoung. I'm probably missing out, but I'll live. For Kansas, yes Walsh was the man but I really dig this new song. I don't even consider them Kansas. My mind has dismissed that notion so if anyone asks what I'm listening to I'll say it's a new band called Iowa. I didn't care much for the last album but this one sounds pretty fresh and revitalized.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:02 pm
Yeah. I get it. Try to pretend it's a different band and enjoy it. :wink:
****Tough one bro .... you know how I'm a stickler for old school ........ :cry:

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Ask yourself this question...if this was a new release debut album from Laser's Edge by a band called Virtual Savior would you still dismiss it? Sure it would sound a little like classic Kansas but it has it's own identity now too.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:27 pm
Ask yourself this question...if this was a new release debut album from Laser's Edge by a band called Virtual Savior would you still dismiss it? Sure it would sound a little like classic Kansas but it has it's own identity now too.
****Would not dismiss Virtual Savior .... ( good name by the way ) ....... Kansas is one my all time favorite bands ...... I grew up with them, from day one .... and they pretty much started my prog journey back in 1974 ....... Steve Walsh is one my musical heroes ...... once he left, I was pretty much done. I did like the album they did with John Elefante, but had he stayed, who knows what would have happened ....... I can't do bands who have 1-2 members left in the band and they call it that .... Ratt, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Styx, etc etc and the list goes on ....... my Kansas is from 1974-2015. Or when Steve left the band ...... I'll probably like whatever they release now, as the songs are good ...... but I won't go back to them ..... I'll always reach for Point of KNow Return, Leftoverture, or Masque ........

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 pm

2nd tune released...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0tEhzcMBxE
Good mellow song.

Scott B

Post by Scott B » Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am

LarryD wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:22 pm
I didn't hit the link yet -- but I'm having such a hard time doing any Kansas without Steve Walsh ...... one of my favorite bands of all time, and I can't get past them being without Steve Walsh even though I know he can't do it anymore....... I'm old school Kansas, it's tough to change me at this point ........ new singer is quite good, but it's becoming a tribute band at this point ......
I would argue the tribute band comment. They are writing new material, and objectively, the songs are pretty damn good. I'm not going to say as good as anything they've ever done, but they are certainly "Kansas-worthy" tunes. There's not a lot of original members left, but that's a career hazard of being in a rock band that is pushing 50 years in existence.

I get the Steve Walsh thing. He is one of the "holy voices". While I would never see Journey without Steve Perry, I'd actually probably go see Kansas play on their next tour, if there is ever another tour...

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 am

I see bands like Foreigner, Ratt, Kansas, and countless others that through over the years, the membership has died off or left for various reasons ....... I get it and understand it. But to me, they are still tribute bands at this point ...... it may have something to do with the fact that I grew up with these bands when they originally formed, and 40 years later I really don't want to listen to them anymore, because they are not that incarnation I grew up with ...... it's not so much the performer that is left with the bands, because lots of times the players vary - it's the fact that most or all of the band is gone, and having one or two players left doesn't make it "the" band anymore - it's " so and so plays the music of " ..... much like what Dennis DeYoung does - " plays the music of Styx " I respect that a whole lot more than Steven Pearcy going out as RATT and drunkenly trying to BE Ratt and perform it all ....... Just say " Mick Jones plays the music of Foreigner " and I'll at least respect that .......

Sorry to get off the thread here - but if I want Kansas, I've got plenty of "real" Kansas here .......

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue May 26, 2020 11:46 am

I'll take classic Kansas hands down, but if the new stuff is good I'm still likely going to picking it up.

I saw Journey mentioned and I love Steve Perry, but I've played the Steve Augeri stuff to death. I think it's fantastic just like their classics.