2020 Q1 Recap

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

2020 Q1 Recap

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:19 pm

Made a commitment to myself to try and stay more current this year, and not get completely behind on listening to new releases in a fairly timely fashion. Couple that with COVID "boredom" at work, and here goes a recap list of what I've heard so far this year. Feels like a pretty small list for being a quarter of the way through the year, and nothing at all new or groundbreaking on it..... But here goes anyway.

Archon Angel "Fallen" - Frontiers project with Zach Stevens on vocals, and I believe the music is from the guitarist of Secret Sphere. It sounds just like what I expect from a Zach Stevens fronted project.... Similar in vein to Circle II Circle. Songwriting is stronger than any of the recent CIIC material though, so it's got a bit of a refreshing air to it. Suffice to say, though, nothing outside the box here.

Black Swan "Shake the World" - Really fun straight ahead hard rock project from Reb Beach / Jeff Pilson with Robin McAuley on vocals. This hits my 80s/90s sweet spot in all the right places. Just a really good all around classic hard rock album. No frills, but none needed.

Delain "Apocalypse & Chill" - Delain treads a VERY fine line with me..... Just barely toeing the line of being a little too poppy for my tastes.... On the other side of that line is Amaranthe, which just crosses a bit far. This album is no different.... It's got it's moments, but doesn't really stand above any of their previous albums to me. Solid, but nothing that excites me much either.

Demons & Wizards "III" - I didn't have super high expectations on this, but I like both the first two albums OK, so figured why not.... But for some reason, of all the new releases this year, this seems to be the one I keep coming back to! There's nothing singularly remarkable I can put my finger on, but something about the songs here just keeps pulling me back. It's got less of an Iced Earth vibe than the first two, but feels more composed and together than the last few Blind Guardian discs. There are a few segments where they break into a KILLER groove (Final Warning) but then immediately mix it up and go somewhere else, and I think that's what keeps pulling me back in.... That each time I listen I'm hearing new pieces in it. I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying this one.

Dirty Shirley - George Lynch (busiest guitar player in the business right now!) and Dino J (singer of Animal Drive) putting together something that sounds as close to Lynch Mob's "Wicked Sensation" as about anything he has done since. The first half of the album is REALLY strong, but by the end it sort of tails off and I'm ready to be done with it..... Downside to George writing SO MUCH stuff the last few years, I imagine. Still, definitely recommended.

Jorn Lande "Heavy Rock Radio II" - Jorn doing covers. It is what it is. Not familiar with nearly as many of the songs on here as I was on the first, but hey'.... "Might Quinn" is totally worth it.

Psychotic Waltz "God-Shaped Void" - Best album of the year so far, and my favorite they have put out. Talk about coming back stronger than ever.... The songwriting on here is just immaculate. Every song comes together just right. It has some quirky elements to it still, but is a far tighter, more cohesive album than any of their earlier efforts. Not a bad song on here, and a dark horse candidate for album of the year.

Serenity "Last Knight" - Another "fine" album from them.... They do what they do, and they do it pretty well. Still, it's lacking the dynamics of their first few albums, and ends up much like a new Kamelot release, feeling like I've already heard this before.

Sons of Apollo "MMXX" - Picking up right where the debut left off; maybe just a bit on the heavier side. I got to see them live in January, and probably appreciate the album even more as a result. They aren't Haken / Dream Theater, but they are equally tight in their own aggressive (old school?) way. "Goodbye Divinity" and "King of Delusion" both are the highlights.

Thoughts Factory "Elements" - OK, I lied I guess..... There IS one "newbie" on here to me.... I know this is their second release, but never heard the first. This is great old-school prog metal done right, somewhere in the "First Chapter" Circus Maximus vein, as others have said.... When I first sampled it, the singer rubbed me the wrong way, but after hearing a second and third song I couldn't hear whatever bothered me in the first place. Highly recommended for all my fellow old farts.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Re: 2020 Q1 Recap

Post by Random Axe » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm

I'm having a terrible year music wise. I can't think of anything released in 2020 that I've really liked. I'll admit I haven't given Psychotic Waltz the attention it probably deserves but overall I haven't enjoyed much. I've been going back and buying stuff I missed along the way to fill my void. I have the entirety of the Mystery back catalog, Arc Angel, Mind's Eye discography. So that is making my year much better. Nothing new has impressed me at all.

David D

Post by David D » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:51 pm

So i also am very please by the new Demons And Wizards. like you said, it just connects and has layers i pick up on with subsequent listens.

Older stuff i newly discovered kicking my ass the most though

Beyond the Black is the best band i have found in a few years - i love everyone one of their discs. They are easily the best female fronted band not named Nightwish. i like the new delain - but it is on the lighter side.

Wintersun- Time is like the Metal orchestra i didn't know i needed

and Dawn of Destiny are like the prog metal Rock Opera i did know i needed.

If you have not heard Dawn of Destiny - FEAR - i highly recommend. the one jon olivia track alone is worth the price of the cd.

now listening to the new Five Finger Death punch - solid for when you are in the mood - obviously an angry scream at stuff mood - perfect for quarantine.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:04 pm

A slow start to 2020 for me. Here's a few I checked out...

Annihilator - Ballistic Sadistic, one of my favorite bands to scratch my power/thrash itch. Probably my most played cd early in the year.
Novena - Eleventh Hour, this one is all over the place in styles, but most of it is pretty good. How can it not be with Russ from Haken?
Psychotic Waltz - God Shaped Void, Nice comeback release, but wish there were a few more up tempo songs.
Serious Black - Suite 226, Solid release. Like all of their other cds some amazing songs mixed with some ok ones.

Up next to check out...
Conception - State of Deception
Dynazty - Dark Delight
Testament - Titans of Creation

Followed by...
Cirith Ungol - Forever Black
Paralydium (project) - Worlds Beyond
Haken - Virus

Also, have to mention something older I just found that I'm really liking. It's called Pronoia - Mimesis. I normally do not freak on much instrumental stuff, but this is kicking my a**. Sorry if it was on anybody's list and I missed it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5GWWP ... _8&index=1

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Cool list bro ........

I'm going to agree that it's not a stellar year so far, but at least there is a ton of music out there to check out as we go ..........

Archon Angel "Fallen" - Frontiers project with Zach Stevens on vocals, and I believe the music is from the guitarist of Secret Sphere. It sounds just like what I expect from a Zach Stevens fronted project.... Similar in vein to Circle II Circle. Songwriting is stronger than any of the recent CIIC material though, so it's got a bit of a refreshing air to it. Suffice to say, though, nothing outside the box here.
***I'm going to agree with what you are saying - then I'm going to say that it doesn't seem to have the staying power for me, or at least the songs I've heard......I love Zak's voice, I just wish some of his music was a bit stronger....it seems like he is stuck in the 80s, and never leaves that zone......it could be that I'm looking for that blockbuster disc that hasn't arrived yet, although there are some that are close to being.......

Delain "Apocalypse & Chill" - Delain treads a VERY fine line with me..... Just barely toeing the line of being a little too poppy for my tastes.... On the other side of that line is Amaranthe, which just crosses a bit far. This album is no different.... It's got it's moments, but doesn't really stand above any of their previous albums to me. Solid, but nothing that excites me much either.
***This is about the only band left in this genre that I really look forward to hearing each year, and this disc is no exception. I keep meaning to put it in my regular Lasers Edge orders but keep forgetting to do so ......

Dirty Shirley - George Lynch (busiest guitar player in the business right now!) and Dino J (singer of Animal Drive) putting together something that sounds as close to Lynch Mob's "Wicked Sensation" as about anything he has done since. The first half of the album is REALLY strong, but by the end it sort of tails off and I'm ready to be done with it..... Downside to George writing SO MUCH stuff the last few years, I imagine. Still, definitely recommended.
***Let it be known that I hate band names like this, and without hearing a note or who is in it, I already know it's an 80s style band playing in the year 2020..... that said, I love George Lynch's guitar playing, but I have zero desire to check this one out ..... based on what you said, I think I'm right.......

Psychotic Waltz "God-Shaped Void" - Best album of the year so far, and my favorite they have put out. Talk about coming back stronger than ever.... The songwriting on here is just immaculate. Every song comes together just right. It has some quirky elements to it still, but is a far tighter, more cohesive album than any of their earlier efforts. Not a bad song on here, and a dark horse candidate for album of the year.

***I should just leave this one alone and move on, but I feel like I'm the only idiot that isn't into this band ...... but I'm glad you at least found a possible candidate for disc of the year .......

Serenity "Last Knight" - Another "fine" album from them.... They do what they do, and they do it pretty well. Still, it's lacking the dynamics of their first few albums, and ends up much like a new Kamelot release, feeling like I've already heard this before.

***I stopped listening to them somewhere around Death and Legacy, if thats the name of that disc ..... I don't mind anyone sounding like Kamelot, but it needs to grab me as such and along the way thru each disc they just lose me as the songwriting starts to fade off .... sort of what you said about George Lynch .......

Sons of Apollo "MMXX" - Picking up right where the debut left off; maybe just a bit on the heavier side. I got to see them live in January, and probably appreciate the album even more as a result. They aren't Haken / Dream Theater, but they are equally tight in their own aggressive (old school?) way. "Goodbye Divinity" and "King of Delusion" both are the highlights.

***I'm almost to the point where I'm going to admit to myself that I love this band live more so than on disc ...... there are a few bands that I have come to terms with this concept as well, and I don't mind pulling out their latest bluray and enjoying them that way ...... there are too many songs on both discs that I don't like, and I don't like that feeling with a band of this caliber.

Thoughts Factory "Elements" - OK, I lied I guess..... There IS one "newbie" on here to me.... I know this is their second release, but never heard the first. This is great old-school prog metal done right, somewhere in the "First Chapter" Circus Maximus vein, as others have said.... When I first sampled it, the singer rubbed me the wrong way, but after hearing a second and third song I couldn't hear whatever bothered me in the first place. Highly recommended for all my fellow old farts.
***Same here - I thought the singer might put me off upon first listen but that quickly went away after a second listen and watching them live on the net ......this disc might not end up being my disc of the year, but it's already cemented in the top 10 .........

Let's not forget ---

Conception / State of Deception
Altesia / Paragon Circus
Green Carnation / Leaves of Yesteryear
Caligua's Horse / Rise Radiant
Ayreon / Into the Electric Castle (live)
Ad Infinitum / Chapter 1: Monarchy ( I'll post on this one later - this is how you do Kamelot with a female singer and pull it off wonderfully )
Allen / Olzon / Worlds Apart

It's shaping up nicely .........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:27 pm

I think this year is shaping up really nicely, but with my #1 of the year not out year (Katatonia "City Burials" ... just an absolutely incredible album!).

From the prog metal world:
  • Psychotic Waltz
    Conception
    Deathless Legacy
    Sons of Apollo
    Thoughts Factory
From the prog rock world:
  • Dizzy Mizz Lizzy
    Blind Ego
    Stefan Altzar
From the doom metal scene:
  • My Dying Bride
    Godthrymm
Melodic, Power and Symphonic Metal releases:
  • Ad Infinitum
    Darker Half
    Delain
    Miracle Flair
    Volturian
    Black Swan
Thrash, Death, Black and everything in between:
  • Testament
    Annihilator
    Aeternam
    Xenobiotic
    Ihsahn
    Igorr
Retro albums:
  • Hallas
    The Night Flight Orchestra
    We Sell the Dead
Besides the aforementioned Katatonia, I'm also beyond excited for these albums:
  • Green Carnation
    One Desire
    Symbolik
    Horisont
    Sorcerer
    Hexvessel
    Nightwish
    Trivium
(I've heard 3 of these in full and they do not disappoint at all).
Claus Jensen

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Retro albums:
I have to add the upcoming Kansas to your list. Samples sounded much better than I expected...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjIX7SC ... e=youtu.be