Sons Of Apollo - MMXX

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

Sons Of Apollo - MMXX

Post by GaetanL » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Maybe not as good as the first album "Psychotic Symphony" but I like it. In fact, it's close...

So who is the winner? Sons Of Apollo or Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Re: Sons Of Apollo - MMXX

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:52 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:59 pm
Maybe not as good as the first album "Psychotic Symphony" but I like it. In fact, it's close...

Ive realized I listen to them for two different things; for Dream Theater it’s to hear the classic style done like no one else does it (and I think they still deliver the goods - last album was killer), and for Sons of Apollo it’s to hear a more bluesy / hard rock take on that vein of prog metal (and they too deliver!).

I’m one of those who actually prefer the new album, as the consistency of the quality is really strong here whereas the debut had some amazing tunes but also some fairly redundant ones. MMXX might not have a tune as incredible as “God of the Sun” and it definitely doesn’t have the next “Pull Me Under” or anything like that, but it’s chock full of great bluesy prog songs, with Jeff Scott Soto belting his heart out with that big voice of his. Yes, I’m the biggest JSS fanboy, and I’ve seen people complain about him not being used enough on this album, but those are also the same people who don’t really care for the style either way (like Nos), so their opinion doesn’t count either way. Jeff kicks major ass here, just listen to songs like “Wither to Black” or “Resurrection Day”.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Maybe not as good as the first album "Psychotic Symphony" but I like it.
I don't think it's even close. This new one only has one song with a big, memorable hook. The whole thing is extremely rhythm-centric, which must be far more interesting for the people playing music than it is for me listening to it. "Goodbye Divinity" was the only song I remembered after hearing the cord two or three times.

The same thing happened to Portnoy's other band. The first Winery Dogs album was fantastic, and then the second one had far fewer hooks and big melodies. A trend, perhaps.

Other than "The Astonishing", I'll take post-Portnoy Dream Theater over Sons Of Apollo, easily.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Nos wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm
GaetanL wrote:
Maybe not as good as the first album "Psychotic Symphony" but I like it.
I don't think it's even close. This new one only has one song with a big, memorable hook. The whole thing is extremely rhythm-centric, which must be far more interesting for the people playing music than it is for me listening to it. "Goodbye Divinity" was the only song I remembered after hearing the cord two or three times.

The same thing happened to Portnoy's other band. The first Winery Dogs album was fantastic, and then the second one had far fewer hooks and big melodies. A trend, perhaps.

Other than "The Astonishing", I'll take post-Portnoy Dream Theater over Sons Of Apollo, easily.
As I said, your opinion doesn't count, so go away Troll. You're so effing negative about everything, why do you even care to post? You don't like the music we talk about here, so go away.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 am

Totally disagree here. To me, the majority of the two albums are interchangeable almost to the point of being repetitive at times. While I enjoy both albums, they definitely have a "formula" they are sticking to.... "Desolate July", "Fall to Ascend" and "King of Delusion" all come in strong with memorable vocal hooks. "Wither to Black" and "Asphyxiation" do too in their own way, but are more heavy then slam into a chorus rather than just sort of building to a crescendo of sorts.

"God of the Sun" is still the best song of the two, but pretty much anything on MMXX could easily slot right into "Psychotic" and not be noticed as out of place.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:37 am

Claus actually stole my answer here for sure..... They're two slightly different animals that satisfy different needs for me. Overall I still lean towards DT, as the musicianship is a bit more intricately technical, whereas Sons feels more full speed ahead / damn the torpedoes..... Plus, I am just flat out 100% NOT a Derek Sherinian fan at all.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson