The Forgotten Heroes of Neo-Prog Thread

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

The Forgotten Heroes of Neo-Prog Thread

Post by GaetanL » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Why not starting this thread for neo-prog like Claus did for prog metal...

I recently came across this album:

Full album on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2mTv7Of74

Abraxas is a band from Poland. "Prophecies" was released in 1998. This is the English version of their album "Centurie" sang in Polish, released the same year.

I love this album! Special but classic sound at the same time. Flute is used. There are some dynamic passages and this is close to prog metal.

Production is excellent. I have the CD and listening with my headphones is pure joy!

I feel like going back in the late 90s when I started discovering great prog metal albums by not well known bands.

Why bother for a mediocre prog metal album when you have this great neo-prog album close to prog metal in style?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: The Forgotten Heroes of Neo-Prog Thread

Post by LarryD » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 am

I did not hit the link yet, but if I remember Abraxas, they were more prog rock than neo-prog, but I could be wrong ....... I've sold / given away more Neo-Prog discs than I can remember, but I'm hoping that this thread doesn't compel me to re-stock the collection with discs I shouldn't have gotten rid of ....... :wink:

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:22 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 am
I did not hit the link yet, but if I remember Abraxas, they were more prog rock than neo-prog, but I could be wrong .......
Everybody is free to decide the category but for what it's worth, this band is classified as neo-prog on progarchives.com
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:22 pm
LarryD wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 am
I did not hit the link yet, but if I remember Abraxas, they were more prog rock than neo-prog, but I could be wrong .......
Everybody is free to decide the category but for what it's worth, this band is classified as neo-prog on progarchives.com
***Gotcha .....

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm

I was going to start in alphabetical order and do it that way -- but I just got in the RPWL latest bluray show in called " Live from Outer Space " and I always why no one ever mentions this band when it comes to the Neo-Prog genre......

Brief history, Ken turned me onto this band many, many years ago .... they started out as a Pink Floyd tribute band, which would normally spike my interest instantly, but for some reason I declined to pursue and I forgot now what I had told him I didn't like about the band .... over the years he urged me to check them out, and always brought them to my attention. Well, with the release of Kalle Wagner's "Blind Ego" material, I had to go back and see why I didn't like RPWL ..... I had no reason whatsoever.... this band is right up my alley I've been dabbling ever since.....

Fast forward - to this show. It's a result of the latest CD called " Tales from Outer Space " and if you can imagine how corny that sounds, in this day and age, it is .....
I don't have it yet, I started with this bluray show and it's amazing in video and audio quality. If you like Pink Floyd, there is no reason not to like this band ..... so I have no excuse except stupidity and stubborness.....If I had my eyes closed when hearing this, I'd say it was the newest version of Pink Floyd.... Kalle Wagner ( guitarist ) doesn't channel David Gilmour anywhere near what John Mitchell ( Arena ) does, but he has his own great style of playing. This is pretty mellow stuff on the whole, and I don't mind that at all. It's almost complete Pink Floyd worship and I'm ok with that....those of you into this band and are on the fence about getting this show, don't be afraid.....

Now I have to go back in time and fetch all of the best of their catalogue......I hate when that happens ...... :wink:

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:07 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm
I was going to start in alphabetical order and do it that way -- but I just got in the RPWL latest bluray show in called " Live from Outer Space " and I always why no one ever mentions this band when it comes to the Neo-Prog genre......

Brief history, Ken turned me onto this band many, many years ago .... they started out as a Pink Floyd tribute band, which would normally spike my interest instantly, but for some reason I declined to pursue and I forgot now what I had told him I didn't like about the band .... over the years he urged me to check them out, and always brought them to my attention. Well, with the release of Kalle Wagner's "Blind Ego" material, I had to go back and see why I didn't like RPWL ..... I had no reason whatsoever.... this band is right up my alley I've been dabbling ever since.....

Fast forward - to this show. It's a result of the latest CD called " Tales from Outer Space " and if you can imagine how corny that sounds, in this day and age, it is .....
I don't have it yet, I started with this bluray show and it's amazing in video and audio quality. If you like Pink Floyd, there is no reason not to like this band ..... so I have no excuse except stupidity and stubborness.....If I had my eyes closed when hearing this, I'd say it was the newest version of Pink Floyd.... Kalle Wagner ( guitarist ) doesn't channel David Gilmour anywhere near what John Mitchell ( Arena ) does, but he has his own great style of playing. This is pretty mellow stuff on the whole, and I don't mind that at all. It's almost complete Pink Floyd worship and I'm ok with that....those of you into this band and are on the fence about getting this show, don't be afraid.....

Now I have to go back in time and fetch all of the best of their catalogue......I hate when that happens ...... :wink:
Larry if you (or anyone else) likes music in the Pink Floyd direction I suggest you check out Airbag and the solo albums by their guitarist Bjorn Riis. Some of their albums sound like out-takes from Wish You Were Here. Riis is as close to Gilmour stylistically as anyone else I can think of.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:11 am

Larry if you (or anyone else) likes music in the Pink Floyd direction I suggest you check out Airbag and the solo albums by their guitarist Bjorn Riis. Some of their albums sound like out-takes from Wish You Were Here. Riis is as close to Gilmour stylistically as anyone else I can think of.
****I've got all the Airbag discs, and they are mostly all great, except for maybe Disconnected which is what it sounds like ..... the Riis discs are also pretty good, although the very first one is without a doubt the best of them ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:41 am

GaetanL wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Full album on Youtube:

Abraxas is a band from Poland. "Prophecies" was released in 1998. This is the English version of their album "Centurie" sang in Polish, released the same year.

I love this album! Special but classic sound at the same time. Flute is used. There are some dynamic passages and this is close to prog metal.

Production is excellent. I have the CD and listening with my headphones is pure joy!

I feel like going back in the late 90s when I started discovering great prog metal albums by not well known bands.

Why bother for a mediocre prog metal album when you have this great neo-prog album close to prog metal in style?
First up, thank you for creating this thread. I’m looking forward to checking out many great albums I’ve possibly dismissed.

Abraxas: while I appreciate the music (which has definite hints of neo-prog but also of “prog Metal” and “prog rock”) I cant help but be annoyed by the singers accent. It’s just too thick, and I don’t like Polish language so I really don’t want to listen to the non-English versions either, sorry.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:44 am

LarryD wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm

RWPL: yeah they are also a band I’ve dismissed many times, mostly because they used to be so clearly “inspired” by Pink Floyd it crossed the line from admiration to copycat. However, I’ve also watched the latest live show and thought to myself “why did o dismiss this band - this is awesome”.

Blind Ego: now this band is amazing - the last disc was killer and there is a new one to be released in just a few weeks (first two new singles are superb).
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 am

I know we always end up talking about the British bands, such as Marillion (duh), Arena, IQ, Pallas, Pendragon etc. when it comes to neo-prog, but a band often overlooked, yet absolutely amazing was the German band EVERON.

Band line up was pretty consistent throughout all 7 albums, with Oliver Phillips (vox, keys), Schumy (bass) and Moschus (drums) as the core, with only the guitarist position being split between Ralf Janssen (first 4 albums) and Ulli Hoever (last 3 albums).

EVERON succeeded in multiple areas:
- amazing production (by Eroc on the first couple of albums, and then Phillips/Moschus took over themselves
- Oliver Philips is one of the best vocalist within the genre
- and the song writing itself was top notch (imagine a mix between Marillion, Saga and Rush)

I like all albums for different reasons, but I tend to always go back to "Flood" (1995) as my favorite of theirs.
Here's the song "Under Skies of Blue": https://youtu.be/zacMimSpDQo

The two CDs "Bridge" and "Flesh" (both 2002) are written as companion pieces, with the first being softer in tone whereas the second is more heavy in tone.
Here's the song "If You Were Still Mine" from "Bridge": https://youtu.be/_zmW5GGCNjU

Here's the song "And It Still Bleeds " from "Flesh": https://youtu.be/g6D-TeC1S9M

Their final album "North" (2008) was a bit of a departure - it was much more orchestral, laid-back, and also featured female vocals.
Here's the song "The River": https://youtu.be/FH1aAG9B9eg

Unfortunately it's been quiet since 2008, which is such a shame... at least I'm lucky to have seen the band live in Holland once.
Last edited by introclaus on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:55 am

Everon was one of the best / underrated / Neo / Prog / Rock band ever........ all of their discs are great, and while I'm partial to Flood, I always point to North if someone wants to check them out, go figure..... I love North. Oliver Philips was my underground hero during their era..... I loved this band.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:03 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:41 am
Abraxas: while I appreciate the music (which has definite hints of neo-prog but also of “prog Metal” and “prog rock”) I cant help but be annoyed by the singers accent. It’s just too thick, and I don’t like Polish language so I really don’t want to listen to the non-English versions either, sorry.
I thought this kind of issue was only for native English listeners... :wink: I'm not and I like the Abraxas singer on that disc. In fact, there is something special in his voice that I like. Like you, I'm not interested in the Polish version of that disc.

Maybe that now you are living in the USA, singers with an accent has become a bigger issue for you? Just guessing... :wink:
Gaétan

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 am

GaetanL wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:03 am
introclaus wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:41 am
I thought this kind of issue was only for native English listeners... :wink: I'm not and I like the Abraxas singer on that disc. In fact, there is something special in his voice that I like. Like you, I'm not interested in the Polish version of that disc.

Maybe that now you are living in the USA, singers with an accent has become a bigger issue for you? Just guessing... :wink:
Hmmm I haven’t thought of it that way ... you might be right to a certain degree.
Claus Jensen

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:22 am

I dearly love Everon and it made me so sad that they put that band to rest to focus on producing and what not. Fantasma has always been my favorite.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but in 2014 we did get what might as well have been some new Everon songs, though. Oliver appeared on several tracks of an album by a band called The Oneira. Listen to the song Closer and it would fit perfectly on any Everon album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuB_RdZ4abs

I need to revisit the whole album (which has multiple lead singers) as well as lay hands on their debut (which Oliver was involved with too). They have a new one coming out this year, I can see where Oliver was involved as a producer but nothing about whether he contributed any lead vocals again.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:28 am

Locust0311 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:22 am
I dearly love Everon and it made me so sad that they put that band to rest to focus on producing and what not. Fantasma has always been my favorite.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but in 2014 we did get what might as well have been some new Everon songs, though. Oliver appeared on several tracks of an album by a band called The Oneira. Listen to the song Closer and it would fit perfectly on any Everon album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuB_RdZ4abs

I need to revisit the whole album (which has multiple lead singers) as well as lay hands on their debut (which Oliver was involved with too). They have a new one coming out this year, I can see where Oliver was involved as a producer but nothing about whether he contributed any lead vocals again.
Yeah the Oneira project was “okay” but it wasn’t Everon :) Neither was the Phantasma project (with Georg from Serenity and Charlotte from Delain), nor the Satyrian band. There was just something unique about the 7 Everon discs which Oliver wasn’t able to recreate anywhere else.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:19 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Full album on Youtube:

For those who don't like the singer, check the guitar solo à la neo-prog at the end of the song "Pokuszenie"... The guitar solo starts at 43:00 on the Youtube like I provided... I love it!
Gaétan

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:28 am
Yeah the Oneira project was “okay” but it wasn’t Everon :) Neither was the Phantasma project (with Georg from Serenity and Charlotte from Delain), nor the Satyrian band. There was just something unique about the 7 Everon discs which Oliver wasn’t able to recreate anywhere else.
Oh I agree, but in a world where Everon isn't making new albums those help fill the void at least a little. They were one of the bands I really hoped Glenn would book someday, but alas, that ship appears to have sailed. I can still hold out hope for Arena or Pendragon though, probably my other 2 most favorite Neo-Prog bands. Them and IQ. And I like Pallas too. And pretty much any thing Clive Nolan has touched that I haven't already mentioned.

Actually can we just have a Neo-ProgPower?

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 am

Oh I agree, but in a world where Everon isn't making new albums those help fill the void at least a little. They were one of the bands I really hoped Glenn would book someday, but alas, that ship appears to have sailed. I can still hold out hope for Arena or Pendragon though, probably my other 2 most favorite Neo-Prog bands. Them and IQ. And I like Pallas too. And pretty much any thing Clive Nolan has touched that I haven't already mentioned.

Actually can we just have a Neo-ProgPower?
****The answer to that is - Nearfest, RosFest. I don't think you're ever going to see Pendragon or IQ at Prog Power..... Such a shame that Nearfest is no more.....that was the place to see these bands......and such a great festival it was. Rosfest sort of carried on that tradition, but without the more electic, bigger acts than Nearfest had....although this year the headliner is Big Big TRain if you consider them big. It really is a shame, that we don't have some sort of Neo-Prog festival here, but I don't think it would draw well. That said, if you really want to see Pendragon, IQ or Arena....make plans to head to Quebec some time, you can usually find one of those bands scheduled to play at one year or another......Thanks to Ken, I've seen IQ - Pendragon and Arena remain on my bucket list......

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:42 am

LarryD wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 am
****The answer to that is - Nearfest, RosFest. I don't think you're ever going to see Pendragon or IQ at Prog Power..... Such a shame that Nearfest is no more.....that was the place to see these bands......and such a great festival it was. Rosfest sort of carried on that tradition, but without the more electic, bigger acts than Nearfest had....although this year the headliner is Big Big TRain if you consider them big. It really is a shame, that we don't have some sort of Neo-Prog festival here, but I don't think it would draw well. That said, if you really want to see Pendragon, IQ or Arena....make plans to head to Quebec some time, you can usually find one of those bands scheduled to play at one year or another......Thanks to Ken, I've seen IQ - Pendragon and Arena remain on my bucket list......
Oh I'm aware, I thought about going them back in the day, and did go to a NEARFest when I lived in DC, but my traveling for concerts days are over I think (luckily ProgPower is local) as my travel time is consumed with other things. I hope maybe someday Arena could get booked since they fall on the heavier side of the Neo-Prog spectrum, but Pendragon and IQ are too light in the loafers for what really appeals to the core fan base.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am

Oh I'm aware, I thought about going them back in the day, and did go to a NEARFest when I lived in DC, but my traveling for concerts days are over I think (luckily ProgPower is local) as my travel time is consumed with other things. I hope maybe someday Arena could get booked since they fall on the heavier side of the Neo-Prog spectrum, but Pendragon and IQ are too light in the loafers for what really appeals to the core fan base.
***Agree ....... cool that you got to see a Nearfest. They really had their own thing going on ........what a shame.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:31 am

Here’s another band from main land Europe (it cracks me up to think that the first bunch of bands discussed in this thread aren’t even British considering most of the neo-prog movement comes from there), EGDON HEATH.

Four or five albums was all this Dutch band managed to release and all of them failed to find a big audience, probably due to the fact that their label (SI Music) didn’t do much to promote them. My favorite of theirs is by far the final disc, NEBULA, 1996.

Musically this is very symphonic, heavily keyboard driven, pop-prog nestled somewhere between Marillion, IQ, Saga and Rush. There’s a lot of similarities to late 80’s pop music in this but it retains a “hard rock” edge and definitely has a neo prog backbone.

Here are two songs to check out:

https://youtu.be/JQT7HOUqkAc

https://youtu.be/wXVv_u6mNQU
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:15 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:31 am
Here’s another band from main land Europe (it cracks me up to think that the first bunch of bands discussed in this thread aren’t even British considering most of the neo-prog movement comes from there), EGDON HEATH.

Four or five albums was all this Dutch band managed to release and all of them failed to find a big audience, probably due to the fact that their label (SI Music) didn’t do much to promote them. My favorite of theirs is by far the final disc, NEBULA, 1996.

Musically this is very symphonic, heavily keyboard driven, pop-prog nestled somewhere between Marillion, IQ, Saga and Rush. There’s a lot of similarities to late 80’s pop music in this but it retains a “hard rock” edge and definitely has a neo prog backbone.

Here are two songs to check out:

https://youtu.be/JQT7HOUqkAc

https://youtu.be/wXVv_u6mNQU
I played the two songs once and I have a good feeling about them... I need to check this band eventually... Thanks! I like the fact that this is a sticky thread!
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:47 pm

[/quote]
Thanks! I like the fact that this is a sticky thread!
[/quote]

**** :D

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 pm

You guys are not only making me dig back into the collection --- but you're going to end up making me buy stuff that I skipped all through the years. Strangely, in spite of my love for prog metal, my Neo-Prog years were the most fun to hunt down and talk about .......Erik Welty would send me a list of bands to check out, and Ken would hunt them down for me. The hunt was so much fun back on those days -- I cannot believe how many rare discs Ken came up with for me ....... Aragon immediately comes to mind. But I digress..... I think I'm going to go through the collection and pull out some obscure stuff and re-listen to it, and then post on it here......

In the meantime - I pulled out Pallas / The Cross and the Crucible. Still holds up great after all of these years .......they are one of those classic / mainstay neo-prog bands that were mentioned with Arena and IQ, but seemed to have faded over time, while those other bands carried on. Thanks to Ken, I was able to see Pallas and they absolutely blew me away. At the end of the show, they brought out their original singer from The Sentinel and played a song or two from that disc, and it was magical.
If you don't have it already - get The Cross and the Crucible, then get the DVD concert of the same show. Melodic Neo-Prog at it's best.

See what you guys did ? I'm getting excited again about Neo-Prog. I absolutely miss this genre, and it seems to be fading out like symphonic female metal has......

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Ok -- just off the top of some samplers I have, Gaetan you should definitely check out these bands:

Aragon - for sure. I think you searched this band out, but I never heard your response to "Don't Bring the Rain". This band was probably one of the hardest of all to find their discs, Ken hunted all of them down for me, and they are dear to my collection.

Everon - we talked about. Gaeten, this band is essential in the genre.

Twelfth Night - you already know about. I'm about to go back into their catalogue.

Lanqmarq - essential as you know.

Shadowland - I'm not sure if you got into this Clive Nolan fronted band totally, but their 3 discs are essential. I think you mentioned one of them before.....

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:04 pm

This is less of an addition to this list and more of a question: Is Fish considered no-prog?

His first couple of solo albums are so Marillion-esque that they almost HAVE to be, but he definitely became a little more mainstream / straight ahead rock for awhile..... I was just listening to one of his mid-career albums (Fellini Days) and it has a little bit more of an experimental bend to some of the material than the prior albums did..... Nothing super exotic, but honestly I find it more engaging than much of the modern Marillion catalogue.

Just throwing this out here as Fish is a name I don't recall ever seeing discussed on this board, despite being a critical part of the genre for his time with Marillion.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:38 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm
Ok -- just off the top of some samplers I have, Gaetan you should definitely check out these bands:

Aragon - for sure. I think you searched this band out, but I never heard your response to "Don't Bring the Rain". This band was probably one of the hardest of all to find their discs, Ken hunted all of them down for me, and they are dear to my collection.

Everon - we talked about. Gaeten, this band is essential in the genre.

Twelfth Night - you already know about. I'm about to go back into their catalogue.

Lanqmarq - essential as you know.

Shadowland - I'm not sure if you got into this Clive Nolan fronted band totally, but their 3 discs are essential. I think you mentioned one of them before.....
Aragon: On my list to investigate.

Everon: I have tried a couple of times. First time was long time ago after an email from you. I have to check again I guess because I didn't spend much time.

Twelfth Night: "Fact And Fiction" is an essential album and without a doubt their best. I recommend you get the 2018 3 CD edition.

Landmarq: I agree 100% with you! Essential! All albums are excellent!

Shadowland: I like them all. Like you my favorite album from them is "Through The Looking Glass".

I'm currently exploring the band Believe from Poland.
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:04 pm
This is less of an addition to this list and more of a question: Is Fish considered no-prog?

His first couple of solo albums are so Marillion-esque that they almost HAVE to be, but he definitely became a little more mainstream / straight ahead rock for awhile..... I was just listening to one of his mid-career albums (Fellini Days) and it has a little bit more of an experimental bend to some of the material than the prior albums did..... Nothing super exotic, but honestly I find it more engaging than much of the modern Marillion catalogue.

Just throwing this out here as Fish is a name I don't recall ever seeing discussed on this board, despite being a critical part of the genre for his time with Marillion.
***I think Ken can answer this one better if he sees this ....... I would guess that just about everyone would consider his solo material Neo-Prog, just for the fact that he was associated with Marillion ...... I have not heard his solo material in a long time, but from what I remember, I would call it Neo-Prog. Speaking of - I am not a Hogarth-era fan, but, Claus directed me to the latest DVD show of theirs called All One Tonight, and it's pretty amazing. Based on that show, I could become a Hogarth disciple, although I will always prefer Fish.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Speaking of - I am not a Hogarth-era fan, but, Claus directed me to the latest DVD show of theirs called All One Tonight, and it's pretty amazing. Based on that show, I could become a Hogarth disciple, although I will always prefer Fish.
Personally, my favorite era is the early H era, up through "Afraid of Sunlight". After that, they've gotten just as little TOO light in the loafers for me.... BUT..... I do perfer almost all of the newer stuff when performed live. They simply have a much stronger, bigger sound live for some reason. I have quite a few of the modern live albums, and pretty much universally prefer them to all the studio versions.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Aragon: On my list to investigate.
***The cool thing about some of these bands is, if you don't like a certain disc from them, you won't like the rest. Take Aragon, as you know I have suggested "Don't Bring the Rain" which I believe is their best. If you don't like it, move on.

Everon: I have tried a couple of times. First time was long time ago after an email from you. I have to check again I guess because I didn't spend much time.
****Same thing here - try NORTH. If you don't like it, move on.

Twelfth Night: "Fact And Fiction" is an essential album and without a doubt their best. I recommend you get the 2018 3 CD edition.
***Will do. I'll track it down for sure.

Landmarq: I agree 100% with you! Essential! All albums are excellent!
***Agree too. :D

Shadowland: I like them all. Like you my favorite album from them is "Through The Looking Glass".
***Agree again......

***Ken tried so hard to get me into this band, but I don't know why I didn't care for them ......I tried several times, that I do know ...... I'm sure you have checked out the bands Satellite, and Collage ? I think the singer or the guitarist is the main link between them ....... I did like Satellite, I also think I didn't care for Collage because the singer had an accent.......

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:53 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:53 pm
LarryD wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:18 pm
***Ken tried so hard to get me into this band, but I don't know why I didn't care for them ......I tried several times, that I do know ...... I'm sure you have checked out the bands Satellite, and Collage ? I think the singer or the guitarist is the main link between them ....... I did like Satellite, I also think I didn't care for Collage because the singer had an accent.......
I like Satellite. About the band Believe, so far, I like but I can't say unfortunately that I like them very much. This is not a classic neo-prog sound like Collage. To me, Collage - "Moonshine" is an essential neo-prog album. Larry maybe you should try again. Try the first track "Heroes Cry":

They fit very well in this "Forgotten Heroes of Neo-Prog" thread...
"Heroes Cry":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABoKXcGXIA
Last edited by GaetanL on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaétan

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:06 pm

But my favorite neo-prog album from Poland so far is the one with I started this thread! Abraxas - "Prophecies"!
Gaétan

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:25 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:18 pm
****Same thing here - try NORTH. If you don't like it, move on.
Hmmm NORTH is the most different of all their albums - much more symphonic/less-prog and it has a female vocalist on a few songs. I love it, but less so than practically all their other discs.
Claus Jensen

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Speaking as a huge Fish fan, I'd really only consider his first album to be truly neo-prog, with the next 3 certainly having many echoes of the genre but moving in a more "rock" direction. But genre labels can be a bitch, y'know? :)
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 am

Gaetan -- I did stream the new Anubis and once again I did not care for what I was hearing ...... I cannot tell you what it is about this band that never caught my ear, but whatever it is, it's still there .......it does sound like something I should like, but I can't put my finger on why I don't ....... I will stream it one more time with headphones, and try to get to the root of it -- but it hasn't in all of these years, I don't think the light will go on for me with this band ......