New Katatonia

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

New Katatonia

Post by introclaus » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 pm

I’ve literally (no kidding!) listened to the new single close to a hundred times since Friday. I can’t get enough of it!

I am having a hard time seeing any band delivering a better album this year than this new Katatonia album.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Re: New Katatonia

Post by Nos » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:27 am

Yeah yeah, predictability coming here...

I hated it. I don't like ambient, or electronic, so there was nothing about it for me to enjoy. Oh well, at least the last one was good :p

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:30 am

Nos wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:27 am
Yeah yeah, predictability coming here...

I hated it. I don't like ambient, or electronic, so there was nothing about it for me to enjoy. Oh well, at least the last one was good :p
We don’t all have to like the same - I’ve played it to a bunch of people and some like it, some hate it.

Last one was awesome for sure. They are my “deserted island” band - I could listen to their entire discography and never get tired of it.
Claus Jensen

Norén

Post by Norén » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:45 pm

Good to see them back. The last few albums have been fantastic.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:14 pm

The last one didn't stick with me for some reason, but TGCD through Dead End Kings was fantastic stuff. I'm cautiously curious to hear the rest of the album, as the first track is nice, but sounds more electro-ambient than a full band recording.

This did encourage me to dig back out my vinyl of those albums, at least. It's been a while.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:02 pm

One spin through the album and I have no doubt this will end up as my #1 album 2020. It's absolutely incredible. It's supposedly the third and final part of the "dead end king" trilogy, and it fits right it with "Dead End Kings" and "The Fall of Hearts". It's even more laid back than those two, and perhaps a tad more "electronic" sounding, but it truly fits well into their progression, and it shows that this is a band with a clear vision of what they are currently doing and where they want to take their music.
Claus Jensen

Norén

Post by Norén » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Good to hear. When will it be released?
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Norén wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 pm
Good to hear. When will it be released?
April 24.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:23 pm

30 or more plays later (yes it’s been on repeat this week) and I can honestly say that there’s little doubt in my mind that this is album of the year for me. Incredible!
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:34 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:23 pm
30 or more plays later (yes it’s been on repeat this week) and I can honestly say that there’s little doubt in my mind that this is album of the year for me. Incredible!
***I'm not really a fan, and it's a mood thing for me, but is it better than Dead End Kings ? I did enjoy that one when the mood called for it ......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:10 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:34 pm
introclaus wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:23 pm
***I'm not really a fan, and it's a mood thing for me, but is it better than Dead End Kings ? I did enjoy that one when the mood called for it ......
I don’t know if it’s “better than Dead End Kings” for you, but for me it’s too early to say as I’ve listened hundreds of times to DEK and only 30 to CB.

It’s more laid back than they’ve ever been before in my opinion - there’s some very quiet moments on it (first single “Laquer” being the quietest -https://youtu.be/zGvZhRFBQ_I) but also a few more metal moments (second single “Behind the Blood” being the most “heavy metal” one - https://youtu.be/nQaN2elJ-dQ). There are a bit of electronic influences spread out over the disc as well.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 am

I'm a bit torn on the album. On the one hand, I like that it's more focused, and there's four songs or so with gorgeous melodies. On the other hand, the change in approach doesn't have the same beautiful sadness to the guitars, and "Lacquer" flat-out sucks. The good is really good, but it doesn't have the same sound I was looking forward to.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:31 pm

Nos wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 am
I'm a bit torn on the album. On the one hand, I like that it's more focused, and there's four songs or so with gorgeous melodies. On the other hand, the change in approach doesn't have the same beautiful sadness to the guitars, and "Lacquer" flat-out sucks. The good is really good, but it doesn't have the same sound I was looking forward to.
As always your opinion sucks.
Claus Jensen

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:25 pm

I think the album is brilliant.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:37 pm

LASERCD wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:25 pm
I think the album is brilliant.
Of course! The difference between you and Nos is that you’re a smart guy and he is a moron.
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:00 am

Just finished my second play through, I do like it, but I think it's going to take many listens to fully digest everything going on here.
Love the atmosphere, the vocals and the killer production, mix and mastering, sounds amazing.

elendil

Post by elendil » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Maybe I should listen to this. I kinda burned out on Katatonia when the first couple albums after _LFDGD_ seemed subpar, and then I saw them open for Opeth in '08 and they kinda sucked. If they're doing something different now it may relight the fire.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:29 pm

I can't recall ever thinking a Katatonia album was sub-par, maybe 'Discouraged Ones' is one that I never took too though.
Saw them open for Opeth in 2013 in Sydney, and they totally blew me away, they certainly have improved their live performances in recent years.
Besides how a band is live or if I remember them having a bad gig, bears no resemblance when I am listening to a studio album.