My top 25 of 2019

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

BumZen

My top 25 of 2019

Post by BumZen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:56 am

Overall, 2019 was a great year for me. I continued my musical leanings towards the more extreme genres, as that just seems to tickle me the right way these days. Maybe it's because I feel that black metal, as a genre, still manages to move forward and do new things, creating for some awesome surprises this year - it can be a chore to go through all the black metal garbage though.
With the exception of Dream Theater, Candlemass, Voyager, Arch/Matheos and Leprous all the other bands are first timers on my year ends list, and many of them are new discoveries, some of them thanks to good recommendations, some from reviews and some by sheer luck while diddling around the internet. I would like to end with saying that I was surprised I didn't find room on the list for Mgla, Sabaton, Stormlord, Opeth (surprisingly good), Atlantean Codex, Xaon, Carnal Forge, Baest, Abbath, Chevalier, Disillusion, Drastus, Crypt Sermon, Eclipse, Yellow Eyes, Soen and Deserted Fear... just to name a few of the many great releases this year not included.
Without going on too long of a rant, here's my list with short comments:

1: Sühnopfer - Hic Regnant Borbonii Manes (Black Metal / France)
With heavy inspirations from medieval sounds, this one man band of Ardraos has managed to make it sound modern, trve, melodic, progressive all the while creating an atmosphere and sound that I think is uniquely his. If there ever was a perfect balance for my tastes on a black metal album, this is it. If you liked the debut or at least enjoyed its ideas, know that this improves on it in every damn way.

2: Moron Police - A Boat on the Sea (Prog-rock / Norway)
This came recommended to me, and I actually waited a long time to check them out because of the insanely stupid name. Shame on me, as this is maybe the most refreshing thing to come out this year. It's serious and happy-go-lucky while at the same time having some decent musical chops. The insanely catchy, fun and somewhat frenetic songwriting is where it's at though - tons of huge songs that has haunted me throughout the year, and they've had me smiling throughout.

3: Inanimate Existence - Clockwork (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Inanimate Existence is one of my favorite bands in the genre, but this album has to be their masterpiece. Neverending melodic lead guitars to go along with intense technical brutality. They've always been special, but this really makes them stand out from the crowd.

4: Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas (Grindcore / USA)
Cattle Decapitation is one of those bands that's gotten better with each release, and if they continue that trend I wouldn't be surprised if their next album (if humanity survives their onslaught of course) is a masterpiece of the ages. For now, I'm just blown away by this offering, which is highly helped along with the extra touch of melody. I rarely comment on vocals in death/core metal, but this is fantastic.

5: Exhorder - Mourn the Southern Skies (Thrash Metal / USA)
One of the best bands in thrash... ever. Just something about their riffs and guitar tone, that makes them stand out in a very positive way for me. Mourn the Southern Skies has its flaws (length of songs and lack of grit being the primary ones), but its positives far outweighs anything, and I'm prepared to say that this is on par with their two previous offerings... if not better.

6: Darkwater - Human (Prog Metal / Sweden)
Traditional prog metal doesn't get me as excited today as it did 10 years ago. The genre stagnated to a point where my expectations have become so low, that I don't even want to go through the effort of sorting out the releases anymore. Human doesn't reinvent the genre at all, but the execution is so well crafted that I managed to spend a great amount of time with it, and enjoying it every step of the way. The right balance between hooks and chops along with some great vocals is apparently enough to make my pants feel smaller.

7: Equipoise - Demiurgus (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Do you like übertechnical brootal death metal? Do you like fretless bass? Then this death metal ensemble of the genres all stars is for you. (Beyond Creation, Inferi, Vale of Pnath, The Faceless, Wormhole, Fallujah are just some of the bands priding the resumes of the guys involved).

8: Mayhem - Daemon (Black Metal / Norway)
What a return to to form. The last few offerings of theirs has suffered from being a bit... esoteric because they were so weird, and Ordo Ad Chaos I just never managed to fully digest. Daemon sounds as if Mayhem just wanted to make an album that utilised all their strengths: Evil, great black metal grooves, evil, the vocals in black metal courtesy of Attila Csihar, evil. Just a good mix of ingredients that has made me go nuts about Mayhem all over again. I could almost cry.

9: Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (Prog Metal / USA/Canada)
It's quite impressive really. Over their 30 years (!!!!) in the business they've been the leaders of prog metal, and this album just tells you why. After the astonishingly dissapointing The Astonishing (which I still liked), this is very refreshing. They've been so consistently good at evolving and staying Dream Theater at the same time, that everytime they release an album like this, I'm just not surprised. I do enjoy the crap out of it, though.

10: Vehemence - Par le Sang Verse (Black Metal / France)
Medieval epic black metal, or art noir médiéval as the named it themselves. Knights are just awesome in a trve cult black metal setting.
What makes Vehemence stand apart is the actual utilisation of medieval instruments, making this the only band I know of where a bandmember named Lazareth is playing brass instruments such as the bugle while another just plays the fucking harp. It sounds great and the medieval comes across as a tribute more than a tacked on sound for image.

11: Allegaeon - Apoptosis (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Excellent. Allegaeon is one of the few bands that, like Death, finds a great sound of technical death metal and melodies without ever truly sacrificing the other. It's seamless and extremely well executed.

12: Lunar Shadow - The Smokeless Fires (Heavy Metal / Germany)
At first I wasn't that big on this weird brand of trad metal because of a lacking production that never does the music any favours. But the spacey songwriting, infectious lead melodies and love-'em-or-hate-'em vocals led me to slowly fall in love with them. Given a few more months this might have landed in the top 10.

13: Flamen - Furor Lunae (Black Metal / Italy)
Epic renaissance black metal. Much like Vehemence pays its tribute to medieval sounds, Italian one-man-band Flamen does it with renaissance music, and it's fantastically well executed, when done right. Unfortunately the album isn't all that consistent, and loses focus at points. If cut down to around 35 minutes, it could've easily been in the top 10.

14: Contrarian - Their Worm Never Dies (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Death and Atheist worship. I'm not familiar with their earlier work, but I've thoroughly enjoyed this album. The production is a negative but the classic semi-techy death metal formula is very much a positive.

15: Thank you Scientist - Terraformer (Prog Rock / USA)
I do not like the production - WAY too much bass. It was very offputting to me to begin with, so much so that I laid it on ice until late in the year, where it finally clicked for me once I got past that shitty production. I love the vocal style, I love the utilisation of brass as a rhythm instrument (and I am not a fan of brass instruments in general), I love the cheeky way their music is technical. Some of their songs are prime examples of great songwriting.

16: Candlemass - The Door to Doom (Doom Metal / Sweden)
I'm a Candlemass fanboy. I even like Dactylis. So it is fair to say that I had insanely high expectations for this album given the return of Johan, and the supposed return to the roots. I wasn't dissapointed but I was hoping for a more epic sounding album. However, songs like Astorolus - The Great Octopus and The Omega Circle are fantastic songs on an album that's enjoyable all the way through.

17: Voyager - Colours in the Sun (Prog Metal / Australia)
I love their synth approach to prog. I also think they're the only ones that does it. Not that it matters that they can write music that's catchy, groovy and full of great melodies.

18: Misþyrming - Algleymi (Black Metal / Iceland)
I put Misþyrming on here because I've listened to it a lot. Why? Because it's just excellent atmospheric black metal, and thoroughly enjoyable. Wonderful atmosphere that engrosses you, which is further enhacned by the Icelandic vocals. Icelandic has to be one of the most beautiful languages in the world. Oh yeah... and it's filled to the rim with great riffs.

19: Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal (Prog Metal / USA)
Anything that let's John Arch do John Arch things will end up on my end-of-year list. That's just how it is. Matheos hasn't been able to sound as musically inspired as he did in the 80's and early 90's, and this is no exception. But he does a decent enough job to let Arch soar and Jarzombek groove to once again carry the album. Winter Ethereal isn't nearly as good as the debut, but it's enjoyable.

20: Leprous - Pitfalls (Prog Rock / Norway)
I loved the singles, and I love the new approach from Leprous. I don't need them to be metal, I need them to be them and continue their quest on expanding the sound that is unmistakenly Leprous. The album has a few pitfalls itself as the pacing and length. The otherwise great song The Sky is Red is not strong enough to be an 11 minute epic, while a song like Observe the Train is directly devastating to the overall feel of the album. If it sounds like I'm mostly pulling out the negative it's because I'm tired of praising them for their sound. Leprous is the band to beat in progressive music, and Pitfalls only strengthens that fact. The talent in this band is still ridicoulous and unfair. Listen to songs like Foreigner, At the Bottom, Alleviate and Below if you doubt that statement.

21: Gathering of Kings - First Mission (Melodic Rock/Metal / Sweden)
I don't know how this went under the radar, because it's great rock/metal songs performed by a Swedish all star ensemble. Forever and a Day is one of my favorite songs of the year.

22: Obsequiae - The Palms of Sorrowed Kings (Black Metal / USA)
Think classic Dissection with a more doomy approach and medieval influences and you have Obsequiae. Good stuff.

23: Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia (Black Metal/France)
For many years I've never been able to get heavily into Deathspell Omega. That changed this year as Furnaces of Palingenesia hit a vibe that made me reminisce on Celtic Frosts Monotheist in overall feel. They have this eerie lead guitar spread out over the album that just does the trick for me. This album could, with repeated listens over the year, be a longtime favorite for me. It also made go back and check out Deathspells earlier catalogue again, and I'm suddenly a fan. Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice was especially good, and I might've just been guilty of dismissing the band based on their first two albums along with me being okay with not liking them based on the controversies surrounding the band.

24: Possessed - Revelations of Oblivion (Death Metal / USA)
Yes! Doesn't sound like they were ever gone. They picked it up exactly where they left off, and I love it.

25: Orm - Ir (Black/Death Metal / Denmark)
Tough album to get into due to the whole album being split into just two long songs. But what an album if you take the time to just sit down and listen to it. It's black metal at heart, but sometimes the guitarsound and vocals make more of a switch into death metal due to its heavier sound. Each song has distinctive musical parts that should be a school example of how to make transitions from a songwriting perspective. They keep the listener hooked in their universe and atmosphere, through excellent pacing and even the odd trumpet at times is welcomed.
Skambamse

Hearing Aid Man

Re: My top 25 of 2019

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:10 am

Yes! Doesn't sound like they were ever gone. They picked it up exactly where they left off, and I love it.
Forgot to mention this one on my good, but not top 10 list. Amazing how this sounded exactly like I expected. No one could say yeah, but it didn't sound like their old stuff.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm

BumZen wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:56 am
Overall, 2019 was a great year for me. I continued my musical leanings towards the more extreme genres, as that just seems to tickle me the right way these days. Maybe it's because I feel that black metal, as a genre, still manages to move forward and do new things, creating for some awesome surprises this year - it can be a chore to go through all the black metal garbage though.
It was a great year musically for sure - happy to see you venture even deeper into black metal, as there obviously are still some interesting things there. This year I haven't been checking out many of those titles though, because as you mentioned there are SOOOO much garbage as well, but your list is a great starting point.
BumZen wrote:
With the exception of Dream Theater, Candlemass, Voyager, Arch/Matheos and Leprous all the other bands are first timers on my year ends list, and many of them are new discoveries, some of them thanks to good recommendations, some from reviews and some by sheer luck while diddling around the internet. I would like to end with saying that I was surprised I didn't find room on the list for Mgla, Sabaton, Stormlord, Opeth (surprisingly good), Atlantean Codex, Xaon, Carnal Forge, Baest, Abbath, Chevalier, Disillusion, Drastus, Crypt Sermon, Eclipse, Yellow Eyes, Soen and Deserted Fear... just to name a few of the many great releases this year not included.
Of those Xaon and Stormlord almost made my list, but got cut out at the last minute.
BumZen wrote:
1: Sühnopfer - Hic Regnant Borbonii Manes (Black Metal / France)
With heavy inspirations from medieval sounds, this one man band of Ardraos has managed to make it sound modern, trve, melodic, progressive all the while creating an atmosphere and sound that I think is uniquely his. If there ever was a perfect balance for my tastes on a black metal album, this is it. If you liked the debut or at least enjoyed its ideas, know that this improves on it in every damn way.
I checked it out once today and I liked it - will give it one more listen and it'll probably be purchased if I still like it.
BumZen wrote:
2: Moron Police - A Boat on the Sea (Prog-rock / Norway)
This came recommended to me, and I actually waited a long time to check them out because of the insanely stupid name. Shame on me, as this is maybe the most refreshing thing to come out this year. It's serious and happy-go-lucky while at the same time having some decent musical chops. The insanely catchy, fun and somewhat frenetic songwriting is where it's at though - tons of huge songs that has haunted me throughout the year, and they've had me smiling throughout.
I tried, but something about it ended up not sitting well with me. There's so much interesting stuff in it (I hear some A.C.T., some Faith No More, some A-Ha style pop and even some "country" music), but it didn't work out for me.
BumZen wrote:
3: Inanimate Existence - Clockwork (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Inanimate Existence is one of my favorite bands in the genre, but this album has to be their masterpiece. Neverending melodic lead guitars to go along with intense technical brutality. They've always been special, but this really makes them stand out from the crowd.
Great stuff musically, but the production really let this one down big time.
BumZen wrote:
Cattle Decapitation is one of those bands that's gotten better with each release, and if they continue that trend I wouldn't be surprised if their next album (if humanity survives their onslaught of course) is a masterpiece of the ages. For now, I'm just blown away by this offering, which is highly helped along with the extra touch of melody. I rarely comment on vocals in death/core metal, but this is fantastic.
Hmmm, I've always dismissed this as a band I didn't need to waste me time on, but your review intrigued me enough to give the disc a spin and I like it enough to purchase. Those vocals are really interesting ... kind of like Devin Townsend meets Snake (Voivod) with some strange synth-processing on top (Cynic?).
BumZen wrote:
5: Exhorder - Mourn the Southern Skies (Thrash Metal / USA)
One of the best bands in thrash... ever. Just something about their riffs and guitar tone, that makes them stand out in a very positive way for me. Mourn the Southern Skies has its flaws (length of songs and lack of grit being the primary ones), but its positives far outweighs anything, and I'm prepared to say that this is on par with their two previous offerings... if not better.
Haven't checked it out. Will do so later!
BumZen wrote:
6: Darkwater - Human (Prog Metal / Sweden)
Traditional prog metal doesn't get me as excited today as it did 10 years ago. The genre stagnated to a point where my expectations have become so low, that I don't even want to go through the effort of sorting out the releases anymore. Human doesn't reinvent the genre at all, but the execution is so well crafted that I managed to spend a great amount of time with it, and enjoying it every step of the way. The right balance between hooks and chops along with some great vocals is apparently enough to make my pants feel smaller.
It's good, but didn't make it into top 50 for me.
BumZen wrote:
7: Equipoise - Demiurgus (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Do you like übertechnical brootal death metal? Do you like fretless bass? Then this death metal ensemble of the genres all stars is for you. (Beyond Creation, Inferi, Vale of Pnath, The Faceless, Wormhole, Fallujah are just some of the bands priding the resumes of the guys involved).
Phenomenal album for sure!
BumZen wrote:
8: Mayhem - Daemon (Black Metal / Norway)
What a return to to form. The last few offerings of theirs has suffered from being a bit... esoteric because they were so weird, and Ordo Ad Chaos I just never managed to fully digest. Daemon sounds as if Mayhem just wanted to make an album that utilised all their strengths: Evil, great black metal grooves, evil, the vocals in black metal courtesy of Attila Csihar, evil. Just a good mix of ingredients that has made me go nuts about Mayhem all over again. I could almost cry.
This one didn't do anything for me. I honestly never liked Mayhem that much musically (can't deny their importance to the scene though). I have almost all their albums and I probably will pick this one up at some point in time as well just to complete the collection, but not in any rush.
BumZen wrote:
9: Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (Prog Metal / USA/Canada)
It's quite impressive really. Over their 30 years (!!!!) in the business they've been the leaders of prog metal, and this album just tells you why. After the astonishingly dissapointing The Astonishing (which I still liked), this is very refreshing. They've been so consistently good at evolving and staying Dream Theater at the same time, that everytime they release an album like this, I'm just not surprised. I do enjoy the crap out of it, though.
Yup, great disc!
BumZen wrote:
Medieval epic black metal, or art noir médiéval as the named it themselves. Knights are just awesome in a trve cult black metal setting.
What makes Vehemence stand apart is the actual utilisation of medieval instruments, making this the only band I know of where a bandmember named Lazareth is playing brass instruments such as the bugle while another just plays the fucking harp. It sounds great and the medieval comes across as a tribute more than a tacked on sound for image.
Haven't checked it out, but might do so (just to hear brass in black metal) :)
BumZen wrote:
11: Allegaeon - Apoptosis (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Excellent. Allegaeon is one of the few bands that, like Death, finds a great sound of technical death metal and melodies without ever truly sacrificing the other. It's seamless and extremely well executed.
Love this one as well.
BumZen wrote:
At first I wasn't that big on this weird brand of trad metal because of a lacking production that never does the music any favours. But the spacey songwriting, infectious lead melodies and love-'em-or-hate-'em vocals led me to slowly fall in love with them. Given a few more months this might have landed in the top 10.
Listening right now. Not convinced yet...
BumZen wrote:
13: Flamen - Furor Lunae (Black Metal / Italy)
Epic renaissance black metal. Much like Vehemence pays its tribute to medieval sounds, Italian one-man-band Flamen does it with renaissance music, and it's fantastically well executed, when done right. Unfortunately the album isn't all that consistent, and loses focus at points. If cut down to around 35 minutes, it could've easily been in the top 10.
Will check it out.
BumZen wrote:
14: Contrarian - Their Worm Never Dies (Tech Death Metal / USA)
Death and Atheist worship. I'm not familiar with their earlier work, but I've thoroughly enjoyed this album. The production is a negative but the classic semi-techy death metal formula is very much a positive.
I checked it out because of the "Death-copycat" tag I've seen used and I liked it a lot, but then forgot about it. Will put it on the list again ... Oh, the drummer is guy from Nile.
BumZen wrote:
15: Thank you Scientist - Terraformer (Prog Rock / USA)
I do not like the production - WAY too much bass. It was very offputting to me to begin with, so much so that I laid it on ice until late in the year, where it finally clicked for me once I got past that shitty production. I love the vocal style, I love the utilisation of brass as a rhythm instrument (and I am not a fan of brass instruments in general), I love the cheeky way their music is technical. Some of their songs are prime examples of great songwriting.
Yes, superb disc!
BumZen wrote:
16: Candlemass - The Door to Doom (Doom Metal / Sweden)
I'm a Candlemass fanboy. I even like Dactylis. So it is fair to say that I had insanely high expectations for this album given the return of Johan, and the supposed return to the roots. I wasn't dissapointed but I was hoping for a more epic sounding album. However, songs like Astorolus - The Great Octopus and The Omega Circle are fantastic songs on an album that's enjoyable all the way through.
I'm with you - not "disappointed" but definitely "hoping for more"
BumZen wrote:
17: Voyager - Colours in the Sun (Prog Metal / Australia)
I love their synth approach to prog. I also think they're the only ones that does it. Not that it matters that they can write music that's catchy, groovy and full of great melodies.
Meh, can't stand that band.
BumZen wrote:
18: Misþyrming - Algleymi (Black Metal / Iceland)
I put Misþyrming on here because I've listened to it a lot. Why? Because it's just excellent atmospheric black metal, and thoroughly enjoyable. Wonderful atmosphere that engrosses you, which is further enhacned by the Icelandic vocals. Icelandic has to be one of the most beautiful languages in the world. Oh yeah... and it's filled to the rim with great riffs.
I'll check it out.
BumZen wrote:
19: Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal (Prog Metal / USA)
Anything that let's John Arch do John Arch things will end up on my end-of-year list. That's just how it is. Matheos hasn't been able to sound as musically inspired as he did in the 80's and early 90's, and this is no exception. But he does a decent enough job to let Arch soar and Jarzombek groove to once again carry the album. Winter Ethereal isn't nearly as good as the debut, but it's enjoyable.
Agreed!
BumZen wrote:
20: Leprous - Pitfalls (Prog Rock / Norway)
I loved the singles, and I love the new approach from Leprous. I don't need them to be metal, I need them to be them and continue their quest on expanding the sound that is unmistakenly Leprous. The album has a few pitfalls itself as the pacing and length. The otherwise great song The Sky is Red is not strong enough to be an 11 minute epic, while a song like Observe the Train is directly devastating to the overall feel of the album. If it sounds like I'm mostly pulling out the negative it's because I'm tired of praising them for their sound. Leprous is the band to beat in progressive music, and Pitfalls only strengthens that fact. The talent in this band is still ridicoulous and unfair. Listen to songs like Foreigner, At the Bottom, Alleviate and Below if you doubt that statement.
I love everything about this album.
BumZen wrote:
21: Gathering of Kings - First Mission (Melodic Rock/Metal / Sweden)
I don't know how this went under the radar, because it's great rock/metal songs performed by a Swedish all star ensemble. Forever and a Day is one of my favorite songs of the year.
Haven't listened yet.
BumZen wrote:
22: Obsequiae - The Palms of Sorrowed Kings (Black Metal / USA)
Think classic Dissection with a more doomy approach and medieval influences and you have Obsequiae. Good stuff.
Will check it out.
BumZen wrote:
23: Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia (Black Metal/France)
For many years I've never been able to get heavily into Deathspell Omega. That changed this year as Furnaces of Palingenesia hit a vibe that made me reminisce on Celtic Frosts Monotheist in overall feel. They have this eerie lead guitar spread out over the album that just does the trick for me. This album could, with repeated listens over the year, be a longtime favorite for me. It also made go back and check out Deathspells earlier catalogue again, and I'm suddenly a fan. Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice was especially good, and I might've just been guilty of dismissing the band based on their first two albums along with me being okay with not liking them based on the controversies surrounding the band.
I'm with you - can't get into DO. I know how much you love "Monotheist", so I can see how this would appeal to you.
BumZen wrote:
I heard the "singles" and didn't find it that impressive, but I'll give it another spin.
BumZen wrote:
25: Orm - Ir (Black/Death Metal / Denmark)
Tough album to get into due to the whole album being split into just two long songs. But what an album if you take the time to just sit down and listen to it. It's black metal at heart, but sometimes the guitarsound and vocals make more of a switch into death metal due to its heavier sound. Each song has distinctive musical parts that should be a school example of how to make transitions from a songwriting perspective. They keep the listener hooked in their universe and atmosphere, through excellent pacing and even the odd trumpet at times is welcomed.
Didn't like this at all.

Godt nytår du gamle. Vi smadres,
c.
Claus Jensen

BumZen

Post by BumZen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:40 am

introclaus wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm
It was a great year musically for sure - happy to see you venture even deeper into black metal, as there obviously are still some interesting things there. This year I haven't been checking out many of those titles though, because as you mentioned there are SOOOO much garbage as well, but your list is a great starting point.
It's a hassle for sure, but these days it's just where I'm at.

BumZen wrote:
Hmmm, I've always dismissed this as a band I didn't need to waste me time on, but your review intrigued me enough to give the disc a spin and I like it enough to purchase. Those vocals are really interesting ... kind of like Devin Townsend meets Snake (Voivod) with some strange synth-processing on top (Cynic?).
I haven't been big on Cattle Decapitation prior to this release, so I strongly suggest to give it a proper go.
BumZen wrote:
Haven't checked it out, but might do so (just to hear brass in black metal) :)
The brass isn't very dominant, but the album is very interesting.
BumZen wrote:
Listening right now. Not convinced yet...
I'd think it would be right up your alley. Let me know :-)

Godt nytår du gamle. Vi smadres,
c.
Lige over Clåås! Altid godt at høre fra dig!
Skambamse

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:42 am

I didn't expect to be convinced to give Cattle Decapitation a listen, but here we are.