3. Starbreaker - Dysphoria
4. Dream Theater- Distance Over Time
5. Odd Logic - Last Watch of the Nightingale
6. Vanden Plas - The Ghost Experiment
7. Myrath- Shehili  
8. Opeth - In Cauda Venenum
9. Stone Leaders – Stone Leaders  
10. Evergrey- The Atlantic
****Awesome list !!!!! We have 6 out of 10 in common, and you will probably be the only one on earth who has my #1 and #2 the way you do ..... Darkwater and Noveria.....hell yeah !!!!!!!

Sir Exar Kun

Re: My Top 10 of 2019

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:18 am

That's probably pretty close to what mine would look like too. Only major outlier for me is Devin Townsend is pretty much locked in as my number one. Darkwater, DT, VP, Opeth, Evergrey and Stone Leaders are all strong contenders, and Myrath is not far behind either.

I'm just on a bit of overload right now, and have a MASSIVE pile of new stuff still to listen to, although a fair bit of it is not from 2019 anyway. Spending a lot of time listening to older things too, especially at work, so don't really feel any mojo in trying to put together a "top whatever" list for this year. Overall I think it's been an above average quality year, but I also don't think there have been any true "standout" albums for. Nothing that absolutely blew me away..... Last year Redemption's new album was an IMMEDIATE AOTY for me, and this year...... Lots of better than average material, but no single disc that really defined the year.

And yes, Larry, still looking forward to that Noveria. I have HIGH hopes on that one.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:24 pm

That list from Ed is the closest one to mine that I'll probably see ........ I've been pushing the Noveria on everyone I can think of ...... but it seems to be going by the wayside as far as being at a #1 or #2 spot....... the strange thing is, I love Symphony X, but I don't care for DGM - and this disc is hybrid of both. It's the singer, the guitarist, and the intensity of this disc that grabs me - with an emphasis on intensity. So much in that it bested my beloved Vanden Plas for the # 2 spot because these guys just come out and kick total ass - and you can feel it - while the Vanden Plas just comes out. The intensity is lacking.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Also, loved the Starbreaker CD. Just too many strong CD's this year for it to make my top 10.

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:12 am

Argh, what am I missing? I really like the new Darkwater disc, I really do. But I just cannot get quite as enthused as you guys...I don't know why and it's really irritating me!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Argh, what am I missing? I really like the new Darkwater disc, I really do. But I just cannot get quite as enthused as you guys...I don't know why and it's really irritating me!
It's not just you. I said the same thing when it first came out. To me, the biggest drawback is that they need a little bit of self-editing. Most of the songs drag on a bit TOO long (and I am normally a big fan of LONG songs); they just feel unnaturally stretched out. Vanden Plas, to me, are the epitome of song writing technique, as they write longer songs that all seem to breathe for JUST the right amount of time. Darkwater tried to do that here, but like 4-5 of the songs all feel about 90 seconds too long to me.....

It's a GREAT disc, to be sure, but I was not over the moon like some others when it first hit.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:28 pm
It's not just you. I said the same thing when it first came out. To me, the biggest drawback is that they need a little bit of self-editing. Most of the songs drag on a bit TOO long (and I am normally a big fan of LONG songs); they just feel unnaturally stretched out. Vanden Plas, to me, are the epitome of song writing technique, as they write longer songs that all seem to breathe for JUST the right amount of time. Darkwater tried to do that here, but like 4-5 of the songs all feel about 90 seconds too long to me.....

It's a GREAT disc, to be sure, but I was not over the moon like some others when it first hit.
I'm so glad it's not just me! I feel better now :)
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

elendil

Post by elendil » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:51 am

For me the Darkwater just is not that original. It's not where my head is at these days. It's not bad and I understand why people like it. Expertly executed and with some appealingly familiar figures, no doubt, but this kind of stuff just gets crowded out by everything else. Same feeling about Vanden Plas nowadays, unfortunately. Even something like Myrath, which does meet that originality bar for me, often leaves me thinking, "This could be so much more."

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 pm

elendil wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:51 am
For me the Darkwater just is not that original. It's not where my head is at these days. It's not bad and I understand why people like it. Expertly executed and with some appealingly familiar figures, no doubt, but this kind of stuff just gets crowded out by everything else. Same feeling about Vanden Plas nowadays, unfortunately.
Same thing for me. A lot of the stuff that wants to feel like old powerprog just doesn't reach a high enough bar for me to care these days. Darkwater is the notable exception here, because I just really love their style. But stuff like Vanden Plas just bores me to tears with sameness in 2019. Also I listened to the new Demons and Wizards single from last week and I damned near needed coffee to finish it. Just dreadfully boring.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 am

EnchantED wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 am
My short and sweet top 10 of 2019:

1. Darkwater- Human
2. Noveria - Aequilibrium
3. Starbreaker - Dysphoria
4. Dream Theater- Distance Over Time
5. Odd Logic - Last Watch of the Nightingale
6. Vanden Plas - The Ghost Experiment
7. Myrath- Shehili  
8. Opeth - In Cauda Venenum
9. Stone Leaders – Stone Leaders  
10. Evergrey- The Atlantic
Solid list - I like 6 of these, 2 leaves me cold, and 2 I haven’t heard at all.
Claus Jensen