introclaus

Re: Conception New Record in 2020

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:30 am

ToddS wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:14 pm
Fundraiser
https://conception.bandzoogle.com/home

Bring it on!
Looking so much forward to this one, but considering how they screwed those of us over who funded their EP (super late delivery weeks/months after it was out and available everywhere else) I’m not that keen to help fund them again ... anyway, I’m sure I’ll go ahead and do it but I want it duly noted that I’m not thrilled about it haha
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Hope they'll get heavy again....

Nos

Post by Nos » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am

They released a single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H0c4bZexMQ

The most interesting thing, to me, is that Roy sounds like Bono during the verses. The rest isn't really my thing, but I'm guessing it'll be a hit for the fans.

Norén

Post by Norén » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:07 pm

I liked it. And I didn't hear any Bono =)
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:52 pm

Nos wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am
They released a single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H0c4bZexMQ

The most interesting thing, to me, is that Roy sounds like Bono during the verses. The rest isn't really my thing, but I'm guessing it'll be a hit for the fans.
Obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about, so no one takes you serious either way.
Claus Jensen

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:08 pm

Thanks for the link. Just found a older Khan song I never heard before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlRJAb2p24I

What an awesome ballad!!!

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 am

introclaus wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:30 am
ToddS wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:14 pm
Fundraiser
https://conception.bandzoogle.com/home

Bring it on!
Looking so much forward to this one, but considering how they screwed those of us over who funded their EP (super late delivery weeks/months after it was out and available everywhere else) I’m not that keen to help fund them again ... anyway, I’m sure I’ll go ahead and do it but I want it duly noted that I’m not thrilled about it haha
Yes it was delayed, but I didn't really care too much, I got it in the end, signed by all the band.
Looking forward to the album, love the single, sounds great.

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:43 pm

This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:13 pm

venidominefan wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:43 pm
New track, "By The Blues":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYetdiEa8zg
It's really good. The groove feels very Flow-like.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 pm

I didn't care at all for the comeback EP, but really enjoy the 2 new songs so far. Glad the heaviness got back in their sound.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 pm
I didn't care at all for the comeback EP, but really enjoy the 2 new songs so far. Glad the heaviness got back in their sound.
Huh? The two new songs aren’t much different from the EP (which had “grand again” as lead track, which is way heavier than these two). I’m not complaining as I loved the EP, but saying that these two songs don’t sound like the EP is odd :)
Claus Jensen

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 pm

Anyone else strongly agree with Claus?

And don't look at me.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:17 pm

I just played the 2 new songs and then the EP again.

Let me phrase it differently. Yes, the style is not THAT different. Maybe it's the production, but I hear more heavy guitars in the 2 new songs than on the EP, where only Grand Again (which is not "way heavier" than the new trx) and Quite Alright had some. The EP was much more laid back in feel for me.

But maybe I'm just completely wrong. Maybe my hopes are just lower as I didn't care for the EP and I'm easier to please right now... :D

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

I honestly haven't liked any of the new material. Roy is doing some strange things with his vocals, falsetto and vibrato. If you're going to release al album 20 plus years after the last it's probably not a good idea to go experimental and avant garde. I like all of the previous Conception albums so I'm going to purchase this blindly but with caution. Maybe I had expectations too high? Maybe I have no taste? Could be a little of both!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:09 am

Out now at The Lasers Edge ...........

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/state-deception

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 am

I've liked the tunes I've heard so far. Doesn't seem all that different from Flow or the EP. Khan is doing what his voice is still capable of doing since he was still in Kamelot, but he sounds much more inspired here than he did on the last couple of Kamelot albums he was on.

There was some concern that it wouldn't get released on time due to Covid. But apparently it has shipped after all. I preordered the vinyl and single on CD a while back. Looking forward to getting it. Pity nothing will be signed as it was supposed to be, but I care more about the music in the end.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:45 am

The new album is out now ... it is absolutely incredible! All hail Conception!!!! Been listening since 3am and can't get enough of it. Favorite songs are "She Dragoon" and "Of Raven and Pigs".
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:30 am

introclaus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:45 am
The new album is out now ... it is absolutely incredible! All hail Conception!!!! Been listening since 3am and can't get enough of it. Favorite songs are "She Dragoon" and "Of Raven and Pigs".
She Dragoon is hands down my favorite. It's got classic Conception funkiness and groove. The album as a whole is a bit more laid back than I'd've voted for, but still very good. It's kind of got a Flow meets Poetry for the Poisoned vibe.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:30 am

introclaus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:45 am

I was going to hang back and wait on this one since I wasn't impressed with the first single. However I ordered last night. I was always going to anyway I guess but based on your enthusiasm I'll get it now.

ToddinMN

Post by ToddinMN » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:39 pm

I'm absolutely loving it! The only complaint I have is that 39 minutes is way too short. Especially since 'Feather Moves' has been available for quite a while.

She Dragoon is the song of the year for me so far. It just flat out rules.

I'm so thankful Conception is back together and putting out music again. I liked Khan in Kamelot, but Khan/Conception has always been my preference.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:33 pm

This really is a great disc ..... aside from the Pigs song, the rest is outstanding, and I agree, much too short ........ but, if you combine the last EP with this one, you have a full disc .... although I'm not sure why " Feathers " is repeated on the new one .....give me more new music please ...... but at this point, I'll take it ...... Roy sounds amazing as usual.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:28 pm

Massive disappointment from the EP.
Songwriting is just not as good and that Pigs song has to be their worst ever.
I wouldn't mind such a short album if everything on it was killer, but it's more filler.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm

The “pigs...” song is my favorite, go figure!
Claus Jensen

BC

Post by BC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:57 pm

introclaus wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm
The “pigs...” song is my favorite, go figure!
Same here. I wish it had been the first single instead of Waywardly Broken.

Feather Moves is listed on iTunes as a remix.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:21 am

I'm pretty happy with this album. I'm relieved that they included Feather Moves, as I felt it was their strongest track from the CD single release prior to the EP. I'd been disappointed that it wasn't included on the EP, as I got he EP on vinyl. I'm also waiting for the album to arrive on vinyl, though sadly this time no copies will arrive signed. :(

I guess my expectations are different from other people's. Flow was the path they were taking before the split, and it's now been 23 YEARS since that time. Of course they're going to make a natural progression from there rather than a return to the earlier stuff. Khan can't sing those high notes anymore. As I've said previously, he actually sounds more invested and enthusiastic on this new Conception material than he did on the last few Kamelot albums, and I welcome it.

My only less enthusiastic comments on this new album I guess would be that Raven and Pigs is a strange choice of opener, and I could do without Elize Ryd's guest appearance, which doesn't really seem to add much, and just feels like recycling a Kamelot trend for sales. But these are MINOR, and barely gripes.
Last edited by Packgrog on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:42 pm

I can honestly say, with four full passes through, I didn't like a single song. Not one. I'm not sure what it is, but I think they're lacking the energy I'd grown to expect. Given albums like Parallel, Multitude and Flow(somewhat) had some balls, an edge and vibe. An urgency in the songs. This album just seems like a hollow vessel to showcase the fact Roy is back in the music industry. And he's obviously not the same singer and he's trying some weird falsetto shit and just overall is being far too unconventional in his phrasings. In fact, the entire album seems to relish in that it's a bit avant garde.

I say all of this as a longtime fan of the band and of Roy. I'd consider him in my top five vocalists that includes Alder, Tate, DeYoung and Lukather. He's that damn good when he's on. If anyone watched the bonus DVD from Poetry and saw the interview with him it was so obvious there was something seriously wrong. You could see it in his eyes, he'd lost all passion for what he was doing. I still don't think he's found it. I would hope any live performances don't include this album's tunes as that would be pretty painful, especially as a PP headliner.

I would say this album is a major disappointment but I was prepared for this direction after the lifeless EP. To everyone who loves this album, that's awesome. You like what you like.

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm

Such a strange mix of opinions on this. Personally I'm loving it and it's growing on me with each listen. And I'm with Claus and BC...."Of Ravens and Pigs" is the best song on the album. It's the only song that really tries to do something different, and it's also just a great song overall.

Oh, and to revive an old argument, 39 minutes is a perfectly fine length for an album. Heaven and Hell (40 minutes). Sad Wings of Destiny (39 minutes). Number of the Beast (40 Minutes). Rising (33 minutes....ok, ok, maybe this was a little light).
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Oh, and to revive an old argument, 39 minutes is a perfectly fine length for an album. Heaven and Hell (40 minutes). Sad Wings of Destiny (39 minutes). Number of the Beast (40 Minutes). Rising (33 minutes....ok, ok, maybe this was a little light).
Um..... Yeah..... Those were all 35+ years ago. Times have changed 50-60 minutes is my expected norm if it isn't an EP.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

sabatar

Post by sabatar » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:01 am

I love the new album.
I love how Roy is investing in his low register and using falsetto so lithely thus creating a new chapter in his singing style.
I love all the songs and find the opener (Pigs) to be a fresh take on vocals even if it reminds me a little of Kamelot.
I love the variety of moods on the album.
I wanted longer solos by Tore but I'm quite happy with what he's offering.
I wanted a HUGE song like A Million Gods, but I can wait for another record to have it.
I find the album too short with including a previous song (which is not remixed from the ground, just a few unnoticeable touches.
One last thing, I think Roy's voice (on studio albums) changed many years ago and those high notes from early Conception albums were last heard on Fourth Legacy.

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 pm

sabatar wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:01 am
I wanted longer solos by Tore....
This is probably my one real complaint with this album.....I really want Tore to let loose.
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Finally received the CD and single from the band this week.
Even though I knew it wouldn't be signed, the discs came unsealed, bounced around in the padded bag, with the corners bent.
I will be thinking twice before doing this again.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun May 24, 2020 1:25 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:33 pm
This really is a great disc ..... aside from the Pigs song, the rest is outstanding
+1
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun May 24, 2020 4:34 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:25 pm
LarryD wrote:
This really is a great disc ..... aside from the Pigs song, the rest is outstanding
+1
Interesting how that one tune is dividing fans - I totally love it and think it’s one of the best on the album but I hear others complain about it.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun May 24, 2020 4:37 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:34 pm
GaetanL wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:25 pm
LarryD wrote:
+1
Interesting how that one tune is dividing fans - I totally love it and think it’s one of the best on the album but I hear others complain about it.
There is something repeating over and over again in the song...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net