Theodore - Anathema ripoffs for the hipster NPR set

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

elendil

Theodore - Anathema ripoffs for the hipster NPR set

Post by elendil » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Anyone else heard these guys?

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/16/71401492 ... sk-concert

OK, "Anathema ripoffs" might be uncharitable - they both draw on Pink Floyd, so it's certainly possible Theodore have no inspiration from Anathema at all, but Anathema did this kind of thing way earlier.

elendil

Re: Theodore - Anathema ripoffs for the hipster NPR set

Post by elendil » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:48 pm

But let me just say that despite my grousing, this is still pretty good stuff for those of you who like atmosphere & are not allergic to post-rock. Greek band apparently. https://www.theodore-music.com/work/#ni ... efault]/1/

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:30 am

Interesting ... I hear no Anathema in it at all, but instead a lot of Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Muse, Woodkid and other indie / alt rock stylings. While I like some of this style it also has a tendency to get boring fast. This year the best in that style to me comes from Paul Masvidal (yeah the Cynic dude...).
Claus Jensen

elendil

Post by elendil » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:05 pm

introclaus wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:30 am
Interesting ... I hear no Anathema in it at all, but instead a lot of Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Muse, Woodkid and other indie / alt rock stylings. While I like some of this style it also has a tendency to get boring fast. This year the best in that style to me comes from Paul Masvidal (yeah the Cynic dude...).
Sigur Ros is definitely in there too. I hear _Judgement_/_Alternative 4_-era melodies big-time. I'll have to check out that Paul Masvidal album, hadn't heard about it...

Edit: Listened to the full Theodore album (_Inner Dynamics_). Compared to what they played at Tiny Desk, it's not at all guitar-oriented, mostly pretty minimalist and built on the piano. "Disorientation" is the only track likely to attract most folks here.