Noveria / Aequilibrium ........ wow !!!!!!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Noveria / Aequilibrium ........ wow !!!!!!

Post by LarryD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 am

I loved the last Noveria disc ...... to me, they were the next logical step in a Symphony X style band, with not so much of the Neo-Classical style but the power and the melodies along with the Russ Allen style singer. They had the power, they had the chops, and they definitely had the singer....... could they beat this in any way ?

A resounding HELL YES !!!!! This is completely bad ass power / prog metal ramped up in every way possible, including singer Francesco Corigliano who now sounds more like a really pissed off Zak Stevens even more than his last outing ...... he does the Zak Stevens thing in his normal / semi-aggressive tone, and can do the angry Russ thing as well when called upon ......what gets me besides the vocals, are the uncanny way they keep the melodies going through the power, the prog, and everything else in between......

I've only been through this disc one time - hitting my second play as I write this, and I am in full on metal mode........ this is how I like my power / prog. It's powerful, melodic ( with an emphasis on melodic ), crunchy, gritty, and super nasty !!!!!!! If you like your DGM, Symphony X, and others in this style, you should like this band hands down..... I don't hear as much speed as on a DGM disc, nor do I hear the Neo-Classical sounds of SX, so they fall somewhere in between those bands......true, there are some speedy burners on here, but they usually break it up with the verses being chopped up all over the placed instead of one, steady, stream of speed...... but these melodies are glorious for this type of music which is what keeps me glued to the speakers......

The downside of this is the compressed, wall of sound production that lots of these types of bands present to us, and it is hard to understand the vocals and keep the instruments separate, but then again bigger bands like SX and others suffer from the same issue, so I'm just rolling with it and enjoying the headbanging aspect of this disc.....

Sorry, but I'm going to be talking these guys up for the rest of the year ......

Guillaume

Re: Noveria / Aequilibrium ........ wow !!!!!!

Post by Guillaume » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Told you it was good!!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:55 pm
Told you it was good!!
:)

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:34 am

Those of you missing your Symphony X would do well to check out this band ..... the singer is amazing.........

Here is a review of the new disc -- which is well written and I agree with everything the writer said except the fact that their previous disc, Forsaken, was better than this one..... he did mention that this one was much more progressive this time out than power, and I imagine that his perspective is from a power metal angle ......

For me - the disc balances the prog / power style perfectly ........ and the singer just adds that last ingredient that makes this disc and band so great........

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album ... uilibrium/

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:36 am

LarryD wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:34 am
Those of you missing your Symphony X would do well to check out this band ..... the singer is amazing.........

Here is a review of the new disc -- which is well written and I agree with everything the writer said except the fact that their previous disc, Forsaken, was better than this one..... he did mention that this one was much more progressive this time out than power, and I imagine that his perspective is from a power metal angle ......

For me - the disc balances the prog / power style perfectly ........ and the singer just adds that last ingredient that makes this disc and band so great........

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album ... uilibrium/
It's also streaming on Amazon -- and their quick review of the disc.

Virtuoso guitar solos, full throttle riffs and blasting drum grooves merge with beautiful melodic vocal lines and choruses, while the atmospheric keyboards and orchestrations give it an intense and powerful feel. Aequilibrium takes the Progressive Power Metal standards to a whole new level and showcases the band's finest songwriting, top notch musicianship and overall Metal mastery.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:39 am

The disc is streaming full on You tube -- but check this song out, Blind .... if you don't like it, the rest won't matter.... if you like this song, the rest is as good or even better......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhmIYUn ... fs3kueFl54

This is completely bad ass !!!!!!!

dwhitt

Post by dwhitt » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Yeah...this is one of the better albums in this style that I have heard in a while. And like you, I think this albums is better than the first one on all fronts.

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Damnit, I missed this one - BRB!! :lol: :lol:
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 am

So funny story...... Thought I was ordering the new one, and instead I accidentally ordered their FIRST CD (as it turns out they actually have three so far). First disc is "Risen" from 2014, and is also really damn solid. Maybe a TOUCH thrashier than the newer ones, but not by much and the Symphony X elements are still there on several tracks. The keyboards also pop out REALLY well, and give it a bit of an angry DGM vibe.

Probably not news to most folks here, but hey..... Surprise "bonus" album.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:02 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 am
So funny story...... Thought I was ordering the new one, and instead I accidentally ordered their FIRST CD (as it turns out they actually have three so far). First disc is "Risen" from 2014, and is also really damn solid. Maybe a TOUCH thrashier than the newer ones, but not by much and the Symphony X elements are still there on several tracks. The keyboards also pop out REALLY well, and give it a bit of an angry DGM vibe.

Probably not news to most folks here, but hey..... Surprise "bonus" album.
****Now get back to ordering the new one and get your ass kicked .......... :)

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:48 am

****Now get back to ordering the new one and get your ass kicked ..........
It's on the pile to be listened to now.... Honest!!! Unfortunately (sort of), it's a BIG stack right now.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 pm

This is pretty good. I'm kinda put off by the overall sound of the mix as they didn't have to fill every tiny space of sound with something. It's just too much happening at the same level. Larry mentioned SymX, and that's an apt comparison. The main difference is Mike Romeo can separate his guitars from the other instruments and for the most part all is clear. This so far is way too much going on to fully appreciate, there's nothing subtle about this mix for sure. Great guitars and vocals, though. Just wish they weren't over produced. I'll keep playing but when you have to struggle to listen to certain parts its time to put it away on the shelf.