Odd Logic / Last Watch of the Nightingale.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Odd Logic / Last Watch of the Nightingale.......

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:49 pm

For some reason, this band seems to float under our progressive radar........ not many talk about this band, but they release quality music worthy of our collections, be it digital or otherwise. Maybe because they are mostly digital ? Though their web site says "autographed albums" and I'm not sure they mean LP or CD ..... If i remember right, they did release one or two of their material on CD, although all of mine are Amazon digital downloads....... their last one, Effigy, was one of their more melodic releases, and I was hoping for even more on this one ........the one before that, Penny for your Thoughts, was in the same vein and they even have a live release which I will grab soon as i want to hear this band pull it off live ......

With Last Watch, they go into a more aggressive, almost cold sounding approach - and a lot of this disc ( especially the 23:00 track ) reminds me a lot of Zero Hour / The Towers of Avarice ......in fact, lots of this disc is a combo of Fates Warning / Zero Hour stylings, but in a colder sense..... I'm playing the 23:00 track right now and I can hear Towers all over the place..... this band can really play. I've only been through it twice, and the coldness turns me off in places, but there is no denying that this band could be in the big leagues at some point. I'm not sure why they haven't caught on yet - as I don't put them into the 90's style of melodic we loved so much - even though I mentioned Towers, I'm referring more to the coldness and vocal approach moreso than the actual playing style ....... who can do that anyway ? :wink:

There is something about this band that makes them great - and there is something about the band that keeps them from being great - and I'm trying to put my finger on it.... the singer is awesome, sounding like a higher pitched version of Steve Lukather (Toto guitarist), and he also has a great sounding softer style as well...... maybe it's the production, too much compression or sounding like a wall instead of separates, or maybe no one gives a rats ass about this style of music anymore, I don't know.....

What I do know is that this band puts put quality music with each release, and this is no different in spite of the more colder / aggressive approach...... you can check them out on Amazon, Spotify, Apple Music, etc .... and I urge you to do so ...... this is just one of those progressive metal bands that keep going under the radar, and it's a shame that they do ......

Harvester

Re: Odd Logic / Last Watch of the Nightingale.......

Post by Harvester » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Really strong disc. I much prefer the 23 minute epic here because it ebbs and flows and builds to a crescendo compared to something like the new IQ long tunes. The flamenco bit helps as well. :)

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Harvester wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 pm
Really strong disc. I much prefer the 23 minute epic here because it ebbs and flows and builds to a crescendo compared to something like the new IQ long tunes. The flamenco bit helps as well. :)
***Cool that you're digging it bro ..............

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 pm

I never heard of these guys, and the description in the first post has me intrigued.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 am

Enjoyed everything I've checked out from this band. Sounds like another great cd!

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 pm

They're sold out at cdbaby for the CD so I'm awaiting the restock. Effigy was pretty good, if uneven. Looking forward to this based on your review above.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 pm
They're sold out at cdbaby for the CD so I'm awaiting the restock. Effigy was pretty good, if uneven. Looking forward to this based on your review above.
***Ok, so that confirms they have a CD available ..... I thought Effigy was excellent, but there is something about this band that stops them from being great - I think it might be the unevenness of the writing, although some would call that progressive ....... but for me, the production keeps it back just as bit ....... it's an indie, so that it expected, but really, music like this deserves to be produced by a name, and recorded in a decent studio. This band has the chops, the singer, and the talent ....... dammit they need a studio !!!!!

If you like that Towers of Avarice coldness mixed in with the technicality, you should love this one ...... they are so hard to describe, but when I hear this disc, I keep hearing Towers, Fates Warning, and Odd Logic's signature sound ........ this one is a lot less melodic than Effigy, keep that in mind .......

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Sean is a cool dude and I like a lot of what they put out. They do, however, need a label or PR person to get this further out there. The writing is diverse but sometimes maybe too much so? Some of the style changes within an album can be jarring, breaking up whatever cohesiveness they built. I'm actually down for a different sound from them, ToA isn't a favorite of mine but I can appreciate it. Once they are restocked this is a definite purchase.

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Abslutely love this band, but I agree that they are criminally underrated and doomed to failure if they don't get someone in their corner working hard for them. It's amazing how often Sean returns with killer music for just the 25 of us that know about them to enjoy :lol: :lol:

For me, I find this some of the most satisfying straight-up prog metal of 2019. No gimmicks, no sideways moves, just great music that draws on a number of influences but which remains nicely cohesive. This is definitely their high-water mark, although I was very impressed with 'Penny...' a few years back.

Finally releasing a physical product, I had to buy it & am convinced that I'm one of maybe a handful of people in the UK with an Odd Logic T-shirt!! It is a shame their previous albums aren't available physically otherwise they'd be in my collection too.

Stand-out track: Garden of Thorns...oooh, those melodies!! :)

My full review: https://manofmuchmetal.com/2019/10/22/o ... um-review/
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 pm

I've made one pass through and all I can think of is...wow.

The lush melodies and the guitar crunch are all at a premier level. I'd liked a lot of what they've released previously, but didn't quite love. This may get to that level. Its definitely heavier as a full release than they have put out but yeah, this is tasty stuff that will be super high on my list for this year.