Okay, I'll do it: IQ - Resistance

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Sparky

Okay, I'll do it: IQ - Resistance

Post by Sparky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 pm

I've only listened once, and it's a double album just like Road of Bones, so it's A LOT to take in. But it *at least* deserves a thread of its own, rather than being buried in another.

GaetanL

Re: Okay, I'll do it: IQ - Resistance

Post by GaetanL » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Sparky wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 pm
But it *at least* deserves a thread of its own, rather than being buried in another.
I agree
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:47 am

I agree and I can't wait for my copy on the way from The Lasers Edge ....... seems like IQ liked the formula used on the Roads of Bones disc, adding a second disc of music that didn't quite fit the vibe of the first one ...... although I would argue that some of the songs on RoB 2nd disc absolutely belonged on the first disc - but when you are band that puts out 60+ min of music every time out, they really have no choice but to add another disc - and I love the fact that they and The Lasers Edge keeps the pricing down to a one-disc release. I love this band.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Check out the song " A Missile " from the new disc .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSahsKfrhQ

Very nice !!!!!!!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:32 pm

This disc is absolutely exquisite........ this band just keeps on amazing me with every release. To me, this is just not another release, it's a musical event.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 am

Just finished the first pass this morning coming into work. It's a lot to digest. Initial thoughts are that it doesn't hit me as immediately as "Road of Bones" did, but that album was also my first experience with IQ so that always tends to skew things. "Road" felt like it had a bit more depth and emotion, whereas this one feels a little more sterile but possibly more finely crafted musically.

Disc one has a generally quicker flow, with songs moving along quickly until the closing epic. Still includes lots of moody ups and downs throughout, but a little more brisk of a pace to it overall. Second disc opens up the floodgates more, with two 20+ minute epics bookending the disc. Definitely a MONSTER of an album to absorb in full.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 am
Just finished the first pass this morning coming into work. It's a lot to digest. Initial thoughts are that it doesn't hit me as immediately as "Road of Bones" did, but that album was also my first experience with IQ so that always tends to skew things. "Road" felt like it had a bit more depth and emotion, whereas this one feels a little more sterile but possibly more finely crafted musically.

Disc one has a generally quicker flow, with songs moving along quickly until the closing epic. Still includes lots of moody ups and downs throughout, but a little more brisk of a pace to it overall. Second disc opens up the floodgates more, with two 20+ minute epics bookending the disc. Definitely a MONSTER of an album to absorb in full.

*** I'm agreeing with just about everything you said here ...... especially about "Road" having more depth and emotion ....... their bluray show of that disc is absolutely bone chilling ( no pun intended ) ...... this one here is definitely more sterile and musically crafted ( I was going to use the word progressive, forgive me ) ... :wink:

I have not played the second disc yet --- I've been through the first one twice now, and playing it for the third time, and after the first spin I deemed it exquisite, but this is coming from a fan boy ......

One thing you should do -- is track down a copy of "Subterranea " if you don't have it .... I can't imagine anyone liking this band and not liking that disc ..... knowing your taste, "Subterranea" is right up your alley I'd say -- a nice long concept disc, and dare I say on the more accessible and poppy side of IQ without veering off of their sound path. To me, it's a masterpiece.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:09 am

One thing you should do -- is track down a copy of "Subterranea " if you don't have it .... I can't imagine anyone liking this band and not liking that disc ..... knowing your taste, "Subterranea" is right up your alley I'd say -- a nice long concept disc, and dare I say on the more accessible and poppy side of IQ without veering off of their sound path. To me, it's a masterpiece.
I actually did, shortly after getting "Road". I think Ken recommended it as the critical next disc to check out..... Also picked up "Tales from the Lush Attic" but so far that's been it.... One of those bands I am hoping to get deeper into, but haven't had the time to dig into just yet.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm

I listened to the second disc. Just because you can make a 20 minute song doesn't mean you should.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Harvester wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm
I listened to the second disc. Just because you can make a 20 minute song doesn't mean you should.
****That doesn't sound promising ...... I'll get to that second disc today or tomorrow .......

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:53 pm

It's amazing that no one is talking this disc up more ....... it's just another disc of amazing IQ. Nothing short of what I'd expect from this band ........ it's a different beast than Road of Bones, but it's still amazing as is ...... the second disc, I will have to agree, doesn't fit in with the first disc - although I felt differently about disc 2 on Road of Bones - that one fit in perfectly with the first disc and should have been a 2-CD set......

Luckily, thanks to Ken, I got to see them back in 2010 ..... but it would be nice to see them once more.........

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:31 pm

Restock will be here next week along with the vinyl edition!

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 pm

I think this is their heaviest album.
A mix of old school progressive rock / neo-prog / progressive metal

First disc:
First two songs: Excellent
The rest of disc one: Very Good / Excellent

Second disc:
Good

I have the special edition of Road Of Bones. I like the bonus CD, it is very good. But most of the time I only revisit the main CD which is a masterpiece. I could have lived without the Bonus CD.

Like others said, I think the Bonus CD of Road Of Bones is better than the 2nd disc of Resitance... Would have been better to not release the second disc of Resistance at all? Or maybe call it a Bonus CD?
Gaétan

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:49 am

I'm too precise about disc 1 and too severe about disc 2...

Disc 1: Between very good and excellent
Disc 2: Between good and very good

For what it's worth... music is so subjective...
Gaétan

Norén

Post by Norén » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 pm

I love Road of bones, but this one doesn't click with me at all :-(
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Norén wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 pm
I love Road of bones, but this one doesn't click with me at all :-(
I would not go that far but me too I prefer "The Road Of Bones"...
Gaétan