Yngwie Malmsteen after the album Odyssey?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

Yngwie Malmsteen after the album Odyssey?

Post by GaetanL » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 pm

I have all Yngwie Malmsteen albums up to Odyssey (1988).

I'm currently playing some tracks from Eclipse (1990) on Youtube and I like it. Ok, I realize some of the tracks are on the "Collection" (Best of) album I have...

So what are the albums after Odyssey worth investigating?

I think I need at least adding the album "Eclipse" to the albums I already own...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Yngwie Malmsteen after the album Odyssey?

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 pm

I would recommend the Seventh Sign and Magnum Opus. They are my favorites.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 pm

For me, nothing he does will touch Odyssey. That was brilliance and near perfection with JLT on vox. Too bad the production could use a volume boost. The closest to this style I found was Fire and Ice with Goran singing.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:23 am

Malmsteen is my “go-to” artist if I’m ever in the mood where I want to listen to music but don’t know what. There’s never a bad time for listening to Malmsteen :)

My favorites are the first three (Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy), but I honestly think I like ALL his albums (!!!) for various reasons.

I like the “pop-pinesh” of Odyssey and the two Göran Edman discs. I love the “power metallic” sound of the two Michael Vescara albums and especially the Face the Animal disc w Mats Leven.

And after that most people started to hate on Yngwie, but I actually think his albums with both Boals, White and Ripper all had plenty of great songs, amazing technical guitar playing from the man himself, but unfortunately all marred by horrible production. Now where he is singing himself I don’t really focus on vocal parts in the songs anymore ... he isn’t a terrible vocalist, but he just isn’t good either. The instrumentals are still awesome though.

I would probably prefer that Malmsteen had stuck to one or two vocalists throughout his career (I personally feel that Mark Boals or Mike Vescara would have been the best for the music - although Jeff Scott Soto is my absolute favorite singer in the world). And I really would have loved to know why he decided to settle for lousy production jobs after the Leven album ... following that ALL albums sounds like crap :( Such a shame!
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:08 am

I'm pretty much with Claus on this one..... You really can't go wrong with almost any of his albums, up until the last couple. "Eclipse" is probably my favorite Yngwie disc period. "Seventh Son" and "Magnum Opus" with Vescera on vocals are both also excellent, and "Facing the Animal" with Mats Leven is a must. (Check out "My Resurrection" for a sample of what to expect). Too bad Mats only did the one album.

After "Facing" there is a slight step down in quality, as the following albums all had good tracks, but also had a few dogs on each..... It wasn't until "Spellbound", which is about 50% instrumental and the remainder has Yngwie doing vocals, where the wheels fell off for me. Don't get me wrong: instrumental Yngwie is still solid stuff, but by this point his ego had grown so massive that he feels he really doesn't need a band around him, and the reality is that his best efforts are due to having that outside influence helping to temper him a bit.

If you really haven't heard much or anything post-Odyssey, you have a whole lot of great stuff to explore still in his catalogue. Have fun!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

sez

Post by sez » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Wow; and I thought I was the only one who thought Odyssey was the pinnacle of his career.

Fire and Ice is a close second for me after Odyssey, followed by Eclipse. And if you haven't heard Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar (I have both the CD and the DVD), it's excellent.

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:42 pm

I think I stopped after Animal. Everything through that one is worthy imo. I also like Fire & Ice more than Eclipse for what it’s worth.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Eclipse and Fire & Ice are the only Dyngwie albums that I've been able to sit through more than once, with Eclipse getting the nod as the better of the two. *shrug*

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:59 pm

I did an update up to "Attack!!" (2002)... I may continue further after hearing these albums...

So far I played all albums up to "Inspiration" (1996)...

I'm currently playing this cover album not mention yet in this thread and I like it very much! Most of the time I'm not into cover albums but this one is special!

While playing "Eclipse" (1990) up to "Magnum Opus" (1995) I heard great things and will revisit for sure after playing all albums up to "Attack!!" (2002).

Revisiting my favorites bands of the 80s is very interesting and I'm discovering a lot of materials I didn't know existed or didn't think was great. We didn't have Internet in the 80s and early 90s...

Thanks everybody for your help on Yngwie Malmsteen!
Gaétan

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Wow! This has been an incredible journey! I ended up with almost the complete discography! (missing 3 concert releases not really worth it I think) Now I know Yngwie Malmsteen very well! I will revisit YM more often in the future!
Gaétan

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 am

Wow! This has been an incredible journey! I ended up with almost the complete discography! (missing 3 concert releases not really worth it I think) Now I know Yngwie Malmsteen very well! I will revisit YM more often in the future!
Nice! Glad to see this! Yngwie gets a lot of heat because he really is a bit of a joke, but for a long time he put out a lot of really good music..... It wasn't until his ego outgrew himself that he spiraled off into virtual irrelevance. Any particular favorites leap out?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 am
Any particular favorites leap out?
I would say that my favorites albums are:

"Marching Out"
"Trilogy"
"Odyssey"
"Eclipse"
"The Seventh Sign"
"Magnum Opus"
"Facing The Animal"

After "Facing The Animal" it's still worth it. Most of the albums are very good to me. Like Claus said, production is not as good, but I would use the word "horrible" only for "War To End All Wars". This one sounds very bad but the compositions are very good.

"Spellbound" is ok. He is the only singer on this one, but the album is mostly instrumental. He started to sing complete songs before this album. Same situation for the album "World On Fire". But this one is very good to me and better than "Spellbound".
Gaétan