Prog Power highlights......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Prog Power highlights......

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 am

I not only returned with the dreaded Prog Power crud this year ..... I got it on the 2nd night and continued to get worse as the days went on. I've been avoiding the plague like the plague for the past couple of years, but this year there was no avoiding it...... came on Thur night, and by Saturday afternoon I was full blown plague afflicted. It did cut into some of my enjoyment of the shows, but these were the highlights for me personally:

Tomorrow's Eve -
This band has been on my bucket list for many years ......they were supposed to play PP some time around 2007-2008, but it never happened. I'm almost glad it didn't because they would have had only 2 discs out at the time?, and their latest is one of my favorites. My personal highlight was hearing Martin sing this material live, and he did not disappoint in the least. For an opening band at Prog Power, they not only nailed it, but they had the crowd really into it as well, which is not normal for a relatively unknown prog metal band opening on a Thursday night. They plowed through tunes mostly from Mirror of Creation Parts 2 & 3, they had a really good sound for an opening band, and Martin was able to do what he does on disc near perfectly. My only gripe that I didn't hear a tune from Tales of Serpentia, unless I missed it - but I know pretty much every tune off that disc and I did not hear it. Maybe someone can chime in and correct me - but Martin didn't even mention the disc. That said, I could hear people saying " I can go home now " and " I've heard all I need to hear " after their performance. The coolest thing I've ever seen from a band - their merch was held up at customs, and didn't make it to the show. Martin urged people to go to their Facebook page, and write in that you were at the show, and they mail you a T-shirt for free.

Subsignal -
One of two "oddball" bands that Glenn throws in every year..... and it always pays off. Subsignal was no different. I was surprised at the turn out for this show, as the place was almost full during their set. They play a softer Prog Rock style, with a soft Rush influence, and they did a great job. They had a classy stage presence, were very tight, and Arno sounded just about what he sounds like on disc. They played a lot from La Muerta, and had the skull on the backdrop, but it's their softest disc to date and they were in danger of putting the crowd to sleep, until they dipped into Beautiful & Monstrous and brought the crowd back. I think they should have chosen a bit more on the heavier side of their music (Beautiful & Monstrous, Touchstones) but for me personally, I didn't care what they played. Another bucket list band for me ( that's two so far ).

Seventh Wonder -
This is the 3rd time SW hit Prog Power, this time headlining. If some of you remember, their last set was a bit touch and go, and Tommy had some struggles during their set. Tonight was a different story. The band was spot on, as was Tommy, including hitting all of the high notes he avoided the last time. They touched on every disc, and as soon as I wished for some Mercy Falls, the band launches into the title track, and more...... All of the hightlights ( or lowlights for some people ) were here, including Tiara, Alley Cat, and some from Waiting in the Wings. They had a great sound, looked more than confident, and put on their best show ever at Prog Power....

Sorcerer -
If you had asked me what band I came to see at PP the most, those of you who know me would be totally surprised to say that it was Sorcerer. They opened the show on Saturday at 2pm, and usually that means a small or tired crowd, and a lesser sounding band as well. Not today. The placed was packed, the crows was totally into it, and they had a great sound for an opening band, one of the best I've heard. I came to see and hear Andy Engberg sing - and disappoint he did not. He announced that this band was 30 years old, and it showed in the tightness and professionalism...... they played a lot off their latest disc, The Crowning of the Fire King, and these songs instantly got the crowd into it. They looked happy to be on the stage, Andy was incredible, even hitting notes worthy of Geoff Tate, and obviously doing what he does with ease. He has a powerful voice, and a powerful stage presence, and their doomy style did not keep the crowd from enjoying their show in the least. They didn't quite reach that surreal magic of that Green Carnation show, but during the set, I kept thinking back to that show and how close Sorcerer was coming to giving me that feeling. Easily one of the best opening shows ever.

Caligua's Horse -
A little bit of background here. The singer, Jim Gray, was in two bands a short time ago. C-Horse, and Arcane. Arcane was the more accessible prog metal style ( which I adored ), and C-Horse being the more technical / modern prog metal style. I have had a tough time getting into C-Horse, I prefer the more accessible approach of Arcane, but two things - I wanted to see if their live show would get me into their studio discs, and I wanted to hear Jim Gray sing no matter what he was singing. I can't say that I have more love for their discs now - in fact, after seeing them, I've realized that their modern, djenty, technical style was exactly why I couldn't get into them. Arcane is no longer - right after the fabulous Known / Learned disc, ( which I was hoping would bring them to Prog Power ), Jim Gray announced his departure and his full time gig with C-Horse. That being said - this could be one of the first bands I couldn't get into that I totally enjoyed their show. And judging by the size of the crowd, and how much they got into it, I could easily say that this was the best show, or close to best show of the entire Prog Power. Some time ago, a band called Andromeda came to Prog Power, laid waste to the place of power metal people, and put them at the top of the Prog Metal talk list. Many years later, a band called Caligua's Horse came to Prog Power and did the same thing - laid waste to the place and had jaws dropping all over the floor. How a band could play to a predominantly power metal crowd, pack the place to the ceiling, blow them away, and have the crowd screaming for more is nothing short of amazing for this little known band from Australia. After seeing their show, I've come to the conclusion that they are the future and current sound of prog metal....sure, Seventh Wonder, Vanden Plas, Symphony X are all crowd favorites and pleasers..... but Caligua's Horse, Shattered Skies, and so on have the sound that prog metal is and will be. I will return to their discs because of the power of that show, and I probably won't dig them any more now......but I know that I witnessed greatness on that stage, and when Glenn picks these bands to play and people scratch their heads and say "wtf" ? Now you know why. After the show, we were able to run into the band on their way out - they were loading up already on their way back to Australia ( can you believe that ? ), and they happily chatted with us and took pictures with them ..... they thanked us for letting them play Prog Power, and were very humble and happy to be there, all the more showing what a class act this band is. For me, who isn't into the band, to say that this was one of the best prog metal shows ever at PP, it had to be that good. This is the type of show that will convert a power metal head to a prog metal head. Kudos to Glenn for going outside of the box and making it pay off. That's why we are still attending Prog Power after all of these years.....

Poets of the Fall -
I'm not going to say much about this band, as I've enjoyed some of their music and can appreciate what they do - but this not my thing and it won't be in the future. However, what I said above about Glenn picking these bands and having people scratch their head in wonder, and then after the show scratching that same head and saying " wow, that was awesome " applies here as well. I caught 30 min of this show, and then went out into the lobby and watched another 20 or so minutes of the show, and just looked in amazement at the crowd size and how they got into it as they did. I've heard many people say after the show, including myself, " I don't care for that style, but what they do, they do perfectly. They put on the great show for the crowd, and I'm sure have converted many to go check out their discs.... another oddball band that paid off for Glenn. It always does.

Threshold -
By now, I'm into a full blown plague afflicted mode, and I'm simply miserable, I'm wondering how I'm going to make it through this show. The answer - Glynn Morgan.
This is probably a first for Prog Power... a band that played Prog Power 3 times, with 3 different singers......Glynn Morgan was the singer on the Psychedelicatessan disc, and happens to be my favorite Threshold disc. I was secretly hoping that they were going to play the whole disc without telling anyone, but hey I can dream..... they did play a song from that disc, and left out many on others - and pulled mostly from the latest one and others..... Glynn pulled it off easily after 20 years away, and sounded just as good as he did then. I miss Mac as much as the next person, and those Threshold discs are some of the best they have done..... but to see Glynn Morgan sing live kept me there the whole time, and then I crashed heavily after that .... what a way to go out.

Another successful Prog Power ........ if you want to know who is playing next year ..... you can click here...........

https://twitter.com/hashtag/bringingthe ... wer-usa%2F

Mark

Re: Prog Power highlights......

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 pm

I always expect to get the ProgPower plague but I somehow avoided it this year. It may be because I drank a bottle of Kombucha on both days 1 and 2. I am not a habitual Kombucha drinker. My roommate is into it, so I figured this would be a good excuse to try it and see if it made a difference. All I know is I drank two bottles of it – half before going from the hotel to the show and half when I got back at the end of the night – and I didn’t get sick. Was Kombucha the reason? I don’t know, all I know is those A) I drank it and B) I didn’t get sick. It was not pleasant tasting and I don’t plan on continuing to drink it.

One thing this year is that, while my opinion of the bands’ music quality varies like one would expect, the performances were almost uniformly top-notch. Sometimes I go in to a show loving a band on album, but am let down by their live show. Across four days, there were only a couple of performances that came in below expectations.

WHILE HEAVEN WEPT: when they got announced I had already booked my trip for Thursday through Saturday. So I scrambled to change my flight (twice because I messed up the time at first) and extend my hotel reservation. It was well worth it. If this was really it for them, I’m glad I got to see it.

THEOCRACY: I was not wow’d by them at the 2014 Wednesday show, but I figured I’d give it three songs to see if they came across better in the big house. Matt gets an A for effort as a front man, but their music doesn’t do it for me.

SANCTUARY: they ruled live and Joseph Michael is a superb frontman both in terms of his Warrel impression and on his own. They’re one of those old bands that you like to say can still school the young kids on how it’s done.

INSOMNIUM: I liked their music already but their show exceeded expectations. I really dig the way they somehow make death metal seem relaxing and soothing.

TOMORROW’S EVE: I did not like them on album going into this, but again, their live show was really good. Honestly though, not a band I think I’ll remember forever.

MAYAN: I thought they sucked in 2012. This time they were better, but I’m not quite converted to a fan.

GALNERYUS: The sole reason I bought a Wed-Thurs ticket. This was damn exciting and the band members had a really fun vibe on stage. It was obvious based on how jam-packed the venue was that this was the first band of the year that everyone was really hyped to see. I’m just sad I didn’t get to the merch table in time to get a shirt. In fact there were a bunch of shirts I didn’t buy this year because they were already out of my size when I walked up.

EVERGREY: I’ve been into them since Recreation Day and I know they’re heavy, but seeing it live, and how they are so obviously well-practiced road veterans who know exactly what they’re delivering onstage and how to deliver it, really drives that point home and wakes me up to it all over again. Their rendition of songs like Weightless from the new album are still vivid in my head even after two more days after them.
PALADIN: doing a LH cover was a smart move. They remind me of a better version of Crimson Shadows. Not the kind of band I’d listen to regularly, but I was happy to watch them open up the main weekend.

SUBSIGNAL: this was one of only two performances that were a slight letdown – keyword slight – from what I was hoping for. I love Subsignal’s music – especially their softer stuff – and I thought that the singer was too bouncy on stage. They looked like a thrash band and sounded like a downtuned Kansas. I realize the reasons for that, but I thought that their visual presentation didn’t mesh with the sound of their music. Nevertheless, after missing them at ROSFest, I was glad to get a second chance.

BARREN EARTH: the second performance that I thought was a little underwhelming. I just frankly thought their show didn’t live up to their albums. For a band that gets so heavy and intense at times, there were a lot of moments during their set that were dangerous close to dull.

PSYCHOTIC WALTZ: now we’re talking! Okay, I could do without Buddy’s schizo yoga / karate-kid dance poses, but you can’t deny he has a style of some sort. I kinda felt like most of us were on one level and Buddy was operating on a parallel but different level alongside us. The sense of something special happening was palpable, knowing how many years it took to finally get it to happen.

ORDEN OGAN: I haven’t been enamored with their last couple albums so I took a dinner break but finished in time to wander into their set about halfway through. They are tons of fun. They do not look like grizzled old metal guys...yet. But they are definitely making a case for being THE band that takes power metal into the future.

SEVENTH WONDER: I love SW in general and I think Tiara is better than Mercy Falls, making it possibly their best album. Tiara’s Song was such a joyous moment. I was way more into this than I was for their 2014 show, which was also awesome. Anyone who tries to insist that prog metal has no emotion should be made to listen to SW albums Clockwork Orange-style. One of the most exciting things about their set for me was that right before they started, I noticed a seat in the prime viewing area – the section behind the sound and lighting boards – opened up, so I snagged it. For the first time ever, since coming to ProgPower in 2004, I successfully got one of the best seats!

SORCERER: heaviest band of the weekend and one of the main reasons I bought a ticket. I agree with the remarks about how good their live sound was. This was one of the bands I couldn’t get a t-shirt of because they were already out when I got there.

JAG PANZER: I feel like the window of excitement for JP to return to ProgPower was pretty close to closed by now. Like, ten years ago I would have been freaking out if they were announced. But it’s like all the years that went by of hoping to see them but it never happening sort of drained my ‘anticipation battery’. Then they started touring again last year, even though I couldn’t go, but there was feeling of “oh, finally” when they got announced for this year. That said, they blew the roof of the joint and Harry’s still got it. A setlist that pleased the old folks certainly helped, and they played a few off my favorite album Thane to the Throne too. I bought a t-shirt…but I had to go back to the table three separate times before I was able to get it!

CALIGULA’S HORSE: besides Larry above, I’ve heard some other people talk about how they were a surprise, or a not-sure-what-expect type of band. I’m not sure where that comes from. The roar that went up from the crowd when their name came up on the 2018 video announcement tells me that they were one of the MOST anticipated and LEAST surprising bands of the weekend. I did not know that the singer was in Arcane too. I did get a T-shirt, the only easy shirt buy all weekend, heh.

POETS OF THE FALL: I took a seat for these guys and had a good view. I like their newer stuff more than their older grunge-rock stuff personally. Yet again, their performance was top-notch. This was another band where I felt like their stage behavior didn’t quite match the music, but they played great.

THRESHOLD: My anticipation for Threshold throughout the year leading up to the fest looks like a hockey stick graph: kinda low for most of the months and then suddenly surging up in the final stretch of time right before the fest. I was chomping at the bit when it was finally time for them to go on… but I was also really hungry. Fortunately I was able to hop up the street to Jimmy John’s, scarf down a sub, and make it back in time for them to start. I think Glynn is their best singer. And their drummer is a maniacal whirlwind! I was expecting them to open up with the first two Legends of the Shires tracks. That didn’t happen although they did play a lot of great stuff from it including Stars & Satellites, and closing with Small Dark Lines, one of modern prog metal’s great “rocker” songs. This is the set that will probably live on most prominently in my memory from this year. I’m still buzzing from it now.

DEMONS & WIZARDS: I don’t have any of the sentimental attachment to the D&W albums that some people do. And I had to get up at 6 a.m. So I figured I would stay for about 30 minutes of their set, just to see how it was, then check out. I ended up staying all the way until the end, encore and everything, because the energy of the crowd was just too infectious. I don’t know if it was like this at any other shows on their tour. I even wanted to buy a t-shirt! But when I stopped by the table and saw they cost $40, I was like eh…maybe not. I may never listen to their albums again, but I readily admit they were a fantastic live band. And had a much stronger audience response than Tarja did last year (I felt bad for her). In fact this may have been the peppiest final-band crowd at any year I was at since JOP in 2014. (I missed Devin in 2016 so I think he may also have had strong crowd retention.)

This year I was about equally excited across the whole roster. Next year I’m excited about half of the bands, but it’s still enough to get me back.

ToddS
Site Admin

Re: Prog Power highlights......

Post by ToddS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:35 pm

First of all props to Glenn, and crew for another brilliant fest! Thanks!

Great reviews guys.

Psychotic Waltz was a bucket list band for me. The exceeded my expectations! That was an all time great PP performance. I didn’t want their set to end! The band was really cool and down to earth as well. Oh and I actually thought Buddy’s stage presence was cool. :lol:

C-Horse is one of my favorite bands these days, and they completely destroyed the place! They also were better than I could imagine.Wow! Only problem I had was getting caught in the mosh pit. Never would have though there would be a pit for CH. Very cool and humble dudes too.

These 2 performances were easily headline worthy.

SW was also really spot on! They are always great, but it seemed to me they were much looser and in such a groove compared to last time. I’m sure the dvd shoot had to be stressful. That show was great too, yet this one was even better. It goes without saying the band was tight, and Tommy was perfect! Good varied set list as well. Slight bummer on a bit of a short set for a headliner.

Finally getting to see Subsignal, and TE was a joy. They were great. Ditto LD on this one.

Threshold killed it too. Only wish for a more varied set list. The new stuff was more enjoyable live than disc, but that took up a bit too much of the set list imo. Still awesome as always. JJ is such a joy to watch on the kit. Always puts a smile on my face. :) Glynn was absolutely fantastic too!

I watched several other bands, namely BE, and PotF, and while their performances were great, I had a hard time staying until the end. It was cool seeing Glenn up front enjoying Poets though.

It was also really cool seeing some old timers that have been missing for some years now. Hope you all keep coming back.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"