The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Omar

Vanden Plas "The Ghost Xperiment"

Post by Omar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Vanden Plas "The Ghost Xperiment"

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Sounds like Vanden Plas. That's a good thing :D .

EnchantED

Post by EnchantED » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:21 pm

It's very good, but I wish they would change something. Their last CD's are all a bit too samey...

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Don't think Vanden Plas has changed their formula, well..... EVER...... But that's OK. I don't know of any other band that is as consistently solid as VP.

That being said, Christ-0/Serpahic Clockwork were both high water marks, even for them, so the Chronicles of the Underworld discs felt a little weak comparatively (again, both GREAT albums, just not necessarily as strong as their predecessors). Hoping this new one is more the Christ-0 vein.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:58 am

The boys are back !!!!!! Finally - a new disc !!!!! As predicted, this sounds awesome, despite it sounding like Vanden Plas. Who do we want it to sound like ? :wink:

Honestly, going on 24 years of Vanden Plas worship here, and they can keep putting out disc after disc that sounds like this song, Christ-O, or Chronicles or any other VP disc for that matter...... blind buy each and every time for me until this band ceases to exist ( or I go first :cry: ).........

This is what Vanden Plas does - and they do it the best. Andy gets creepier and creepier with each video ...... hehehehe ........ :twisted: Does his voice ever change ? Awesome display......

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:32 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Don't think Vanden Plas has changed their formula, well..... EVER...... But that's OK. I don't know of any other band that is as consistently solid as VP.

That being said, Christ-0/Serpahic Clockwork were both high water marks, even for them, so the Chronicles of the Underworld discs felt a little weak comparatively (again, both GREAT albums, just not necessarily as strong as their predecessors). Hoping this new one is more the Christ-0 vein.
They have changed twice by my account. First time was when they first came on to the scene and played a more commercial styled prog as you can tell on some of the older songs like "Fire" and "Days Of Thunder". The second time was not so much in the music, but the content/concept from Beyond Daylight ---->Christ0 where they went in a more theatrical direction, and have kept to that, although the last two kind of went away from that somewhat, which I thought was great as that theatrical style I don't care for.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:23 am

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 am

How can this disc not be awesome after those two song ? Highest anticipated disc of the year ........

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:53 am

I guess the cd release has been delayed until 11/1 :evil: .

3rd tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiM7gBjzAVY

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 am

Apparently whatever warehouse Frontiers is running through is massively backed up right now. New Ferrymen is delayed for the same reason.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:50 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 am
Apparently whatever warehouse Frontiers is running through is massively backed up right now. New Ferrymen is delayed for the same reason.
****That's just f@#$%g great...... :x

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 am
Its not "right now". The issue has been going on for about six months with no solution in sight.

Here is an inside peek at the music industry...

At this point there are three main record labels (with sub-distributions and sub-labels): Sony, WEA, Universal. Sony and WEA no longer directly supply retailers themselves. They have handed off all of their inventory to a company in Indiana called Direct Shot. I don't know about Universal. There are smaller distributors that either ship directly to retail or they are also using Direct Shot.

Sony was using Direct Shot for quite some time and there were no real issues. WEA decided to close down their warehouses and hand over all inventory to Direct Shot as well. Direct Shot simply can't handle the volume. I know that Sony has tried to work with them and I assume WEA as well to clean things up. Nothing has helped.

Alliance Entertainment is the main "one stop" distributor in the US and I believe the largest in the world. One stop means they handle all labels - frequently import titles as well. Alliance is also at the mercy of Direct Shot.

What is happening is that Direct Shot is focusing on getting new releases out to retailers in time for street date. From my experience they have been successful but I have heard from other retailers not being so lucky. Restocks are a significant problem. A year ago I would get a restock from Direct Shot within 3-4 days of ordering. Now it can take 3-4 weeks. So its difficult for a retailer - we have to guess how many we need for an initial order plus add on a number above this because getting the restock can take awhile. Guess wrong and you can be sitting on product or not have a hot title when you need it.

In the case of Vanden Plas it appears as though Frontiers 10/11 releases were caught in a bottleneck. The vinyl version of Vanden Plas went out to retail but no one received the CDs. Same for The Ferrymen. Its possible the issue lies with Frontiers shipping late but not likely - they are typically spot on and no issues occur with their releases. Its much more likely the issue is with Direct Shot. Street date has been moved to 11/1. Hopefully they will arrive in time.

Its a screwed up situation and I'm not sure the majors really care all that much since they really would rather you just buy or stream digital.

EmptyThoughts

Post by EmptyThoughts » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks for the information Ken. Was really excited for this album... Now we got to wait a couple of more weeks :(

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:14 pm

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes !!!!! And ordered !!!!!!! :D

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Just got my copy - and for the first time in about 22-23 years, I don't have mouths full to say about this disc, other than it's a Vanden Plas disc. Now that might sound like I'm trying not to be negative about the disc, but au contraire, I love the disc ..... it's another quality Vanden Plas disc, I'd say landing somewhere in between the quality of Beyond Daylight and Christ O, but not the quality (imo) of say, Choronicles Part 1, or Seraphic...... It's a very "safe" Vanden Plas disc, and how you rate it will depend on what you expected or wanted from the band at this point, and whether or not you will tire from that same formula. I think Chronicles or Seraphic have much more of an urgency to them than this disc does - but your mileage may vary ..... all in all, for a band that's been together for over 24 years, this is another quality release. I have not yet fallen into the "same old" disc discussion that may turn some off to the disc, I'm a VP whore so they can put out discs like this until the cows come home ..... but I imagine that many people might fall off that bandwagon at some point, if they haven't already .......

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:17 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:49 pm
Just got my copy - and for the first time in about 22-23 years, I don't have mouths full to say about this disc, other than it's a Vanden Plas disc. Now that might sound like I'm trying not to be negative about the disc, but au contraire, I love the disc ..... it's another quality Vanden Plas disc, I'd say landing somewhere in between the quality of Beyond Daylight and Christ O, but not the quality (imo) of say, Choronicles Part 1, or Seraphic...... It's a very "safe" Vanden Plas disc, and how you rate it will depend on what you expected or wanted from the band at this point, and whether or not you will tire from that same formula. I think Chronicles or Seraphic have much more of an urgency to them than this disc does - but your mileage may vary ..... all in all, for a band that's been together for over 24 years, this is another quality release. I have not yet fallen into the "same old" disc discussion that may turn some off to the disc, I'm a VP whore so they can put out discs like this until the cows come home ..... but I imagine that many people might fall off that bandwagon at some point, if they haven't already .......
I listened to a few minutes of one of the singles and said "yeah that sounds exactly like VP" and...that's that? I just don't find it terribly exciting anymore.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am

It's six songs of Vanden Plas magic. It feels like FOREVER since their last new album, so right out of the gate it resonated immediately. The first two tracks especially just hooked me right back in. That all being said, it's a SHORT album all considered. Vanden Plas songs almost never feel "long", and even though three of the tracks come in a 9+ minutes, none of them feel that long. As a result, the album FLIES by. I really wish they would have released parts 1 and 2 together as a single release, as this just feels like a teaser somehow.

But like others say..... It's unmistakably Vanden Plas, and these songs would fit right in on any of the last four albums or so. I do think the guitar work might be a notch or two better (or at least I noticed it more), but certainly nothing to change the formula. Short length and all, this will be a top five album for sure.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:41 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am
It's six songs of Vanden Plas magic. It feels like FOREVER since their last new album, so right out of the gate it resonated immediately. The first two tracks especially just hooked me right back in. That all being said, it's a SHORT album all considered. Vanden Plas songs almost never feel "long", and even though three of the tracks come in a 9+ minutes, none of them feel that long. As a result, the album FLIES by. I really wish they would have released parts 1 and 2 together as a single release, as this just feels like a teaser somehow.

But like others say..... It's unmistakably Vanden Plas, and these songs would fit right in on any of the last four albums or so. I do think the guitar work might be a notch or two better (or at least I noticed it more), but certainly nothing to change the formula. Short length and all, this will be a top five album for sure.

*** I agree with everything you said ....... completely. This really needed to be a longer disc, for sure, but then I wonder if I would have wanted this given it's safe and relaxed formula...... I love everything VP, and this will end up in my top 5 easily ...... when I first heard it, I was hooked right in like you, and I proclaimed that I love Vanden Plas once again !!!!! What I did not say to myself, was that this is my #1 disc ...... and that was right out of the gate. So weird to love a band like that, and know that their disc won't be your #1 ....... it's too safe and relaxed.

That said - I put the Noveria on the other day for the first time, and proclaimed " wow - this is how you come out of the gate " ..... a total ass kicking fest which makes me happy that I listen to this type of music ..... I dare and must say that the Noveria is much more urgent, in your face, and the singer sounds like he is happy to be out in front of this band and singing his ass off ...... it is a much better performance than Andy gives. And you know I hate to say that. Andy just sounds like he is going thru the motions on this one, while the Noveria singer is showcasing his vocal skills and prowess. Sure - the difference in years comes in to play. But, when it comes to the end of the year, and which band kicked my ass more, Noveria gets the nod here. And that says a lot about that band......

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Big VP fan here but...I struggle with this one a little. For me, the final three songs are where they are strongest, whilst the first three are a little too predictable and lacking the 'wow' factor. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, I don't know. But I do know that I'm not going back to it anywhere near as regularly as I thought I would. Still, it's true what they say: an 'average' VP disc is better than most!!

If you want to read more of my thoughts, here's my review: https://manofmuchmetal.com/2019/11/11/v ... um-review/
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:03 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Christ-0/Serpahic Clockwork were both high water marks
I agree and "The Ghost Xperiment" is not as good.

Fortunately we got the DVD "The Seraphic Live Works" filmed just at the right time after the release of "The Serpahic Clockwork"...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:03 pm
Fortunately we got the DVD "The Seraphic Live Works" filmed just at the right time after the release of "The Serpahic Clockwork"...
I've just realized that the label removed the encore to make it fit on the CD! Why not simply release the full concert on DVD? :evil:

Or maybe the encore has not been filmed?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/vanden-p ... 02b4e.html
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:37 am

GaetanL wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm
GaetanL wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:03 pm
I've just realized that the label removed the encore to make it fit on the CD! Why not simply release the full concert on DVD? :evil:

Or maybe the encore has not been filmed?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/vanden-p ... 02b4e.html
**** Who knows why these bands and labels do things the way they do ? My easy, naive answer is money .......all in the name of saving it, not making it .......I'm almost at the point of not asking why bands don't put out DVDs at all, because now I'll take whatever they put out as long as it's on DVD..... I get the fact that they all can't be Ayreon and release monsters like that .... but, in this day and age, when bands like Blind Ego and others are releasing DVDs in small clubs, small venues, with literally no stage show, some of these larger bands can do the same, but don't ...... I can't figure it. I'm off the subject ..... I'm back on track now ...... :)