New Tool Song

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Nos

New Tool Song

Post by Nos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 am

Sounds like the album is actually happening this time, so I thought someone might be interested in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7DfQMPmJRI

Myself, I find this unbearably boring. It's so slow and dull. There isn't even a real riff in it. What a goddamn waste of thirteen years. I'm glad I'm not a big Tool fan, or I'd be pissed right now.

elendil

Re: New Tool Song

Post by elendil » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 am

Hasn't Tool always been boring? *ducks*

Nos

Post by Nos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am

elendil wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 am
Hasn't Tool always been boring? *ducks*
Not quite. Stuff like "The Grudge", "Schism", and "Vicarious" are awesome. But then they also spend endless amounts of time noodling on ambient garbage, which is too much of what this new song is doing. It's like "10,000 Days", in that respect.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:18 pm

I never liked Tool and it doesn’t seem like this one will change my opinion either - that was 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back again.
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:48 am

I had never heard a single Tool song before now.

That was a bunch of insipid, non-melodic, non-coherent garbage that any of a thousand bands could have created in their basement with a decent laptop and a ten year old copy of protools. I'd read reviews of many bands over the years that said they had a strong Tool influence. I'm guessing that was an insult based on what I just heard.

Maybe their early work was better but I have pretty much no interest in exploring them at this point if this is the best 13 years can come up with. Horrible.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Have never been a Tool fan either ...... I never got their "vibe" ........ I worked with a guy who was a Tool junkie, and he kept me updated on all that was Tool ..... he would fly to Vegas just to see them ....... I checked out everything he threw at me, but none of it ever clicked........ I didn't check this one out either, but from what you guys are saying, I don't need to .......

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 pm

The problem with Tool is that everyone in the band, talented though they are, are kind of a one-trick pony. Maynard always sounds like Maynard. Adam Jones (guitar) has a limited pallet to pull from and that's that, Danny Cary is a great drummer, but he's a pocket player, and their bassist...well, we've heard all his tricks already. Nothing new here. They've basically not been a unit for 13 years, and this is what you get. No growth.

Nos

Post by Nos » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the album, now that it's out?

I tried to listen to it twice, but it was so boring I couldn't make it through eighty minutes of that tripe. It was so slow, ambient, self-indulgent, and a waste of my time. There wasn't a single song, riff, or vocal part I'm ever going to remember from this thing.

sabatar

Post by sabatar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:18 am

7empest (Tempest), the near 16-min track is worth the inflated price of the special edition alone.