Sanctuary - live!!!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Sanctuary - live!!!

Post by introclaus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:30 pm

I’ve seen Nevermore a multitude of times over the years, all around the world, but for some reason I never got to see Sanctuary! So when I finally had the chance to see them last night close to me (Chapel Hill, NC - 30 minutes drive from home) I didn’t miss out on the opportunity.

The show was great - a couple of songs from the last album, all of “Refuge Denied”, another one or two songs from newest album and then 4 from “Into the Mirror Black”. The band was on fire and Lenny Rutledge is such a great guitarist (and songwriter). Joseph Michaels - from Witherfall - have completely stepped into the role as frontman of the band, and while he obviously has to sing songs written for Warrell Dane, he still manages to give them his own spin live. I thought he did amazing!

Now, what made this show extra special for me was that I actually took my son with me to the concert. It was his first metal show ever: the kid is 8 years old. Before the show we got to meet the band outside, we bought him a Sanctuary shirt and in general he was really pumped up for the show. The moment the concert started he was one big grin from ear to ear, throwing the devil horns constantly and did not move away from his spot in front right up against the stage in front of Lenny, who gave him a pick and a fist bump in the middle of the show. Several times Joseph Michael came over and held the microphone down to my son (who was too shy to scream into it though). Funny thing is that throughout the entire show he kept asking me if they were gonna play “Taste Revenge” as that’s his favorite Sanctuary song, and lo and behold, that was the final song of the evening. Couldn’t have ended on a better note (pun intended).

After the show Joseph Michael signed my sons new shirt, so on the drive home he was completely psyched about how awesome the show experience was.

I might have been able to convince another one to join our cause here \m/\m/
Claus Jensen

BC

Re: Sanctuary - live!!!

Post by BC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Where's the “like” button? This post needs a “like” button.

That’s fantastic that your son loved the show so much. Maybe take him to ProgPower to see them again?
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Rycher

Post by Rycher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:14 am

That's awesome! Joseph was amazing when I saw Sanctuary open for Iced Earth in 2018. He just had this vibe, like he was channeling Warrel's spirit as he sang - you could close your eyes and almost hear Warrel himself. He nailed it, the entire night. I'm so glad that they're continuing with him and recording a new album.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Awesome Claus !!!!!!!! Time to get him into some Darkwater now !!!!!! :wink:

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Very cool Claus! What an awesome experience for you and your son!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"