Psychotic Waltz...I get it now

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

Psychotic Waltz...I get it now

Post by Random Axe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Count me in as someone who never liked this band outside of two songs.

I've been playing their album sin the background at work and have been digging it. The compositions were always too chaotic without melody for me. Now I'm picking up on stuff I didn't 20 years ago. I'm now listening to Mosquito and it sounds pretty fresh. I'm guessing if I were to get ahold of the Metal Blade reissues this would sound much better than youtube on a phone. With Devin's vocal selections, it is oddly reminiscent to Arch I guess. Maybe there's hope I can like his new one as well.

So suddenly, a couple of decades later, it's clicking with me. Strange how that happens.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Psychotic Waltz...I get it now

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:20 pm

I've always been a bit of a casual fan...... I feel like there should be something there that grabs hold of me, but it never quite does. "Mosquito" is probably my favorite of their discs, and it has a bit of a similar feel to the way "Flow" fits into the Conception discography. It's an oddly modern outlier compared to the other albums.

I will say, though, that I love the Dead Soul Tribe albums quite a bit more.... Maybe they're just more accessible, but those instantly registered whereas Psychotic Waltz felt like it took more effort.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 pm

I'm a big Psychotic Waltz fan!

4 albums with a different sound!

My personal rating out of 5:

A Social Grace: 5: The most chaotic (but still melodic to me)...
Into The Everflow: 4.5: The most psychedelic...
Mosquito: 3.5: The most commercial...
Bleeding: 4: The most melodic...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:29 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 pm

I pretty much agree, although all of them (except “Mosquito”) deserves a 5 rating. But yes, all are very different from each other - as is Buddy’s solo album which was phenomenal as well. The first two DST discs were great but they lost me somehow after that. His one-off Shadow Theory album was pretty awesome as well. Such a great vocalist and lyricist.
Claus Jensen

elendil

Post by elendil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:32 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 pm

We agree on 100% on everything here. _A Social Grace_ might be their most eclectic album, with influences ranging from tech-thrash to Metallica to Zeppelin to Sabbath.

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:37 pm

From their Facebook page, 6/7/19:
We know you've all been waiting for an update. You're about to get one regarding our new record label (the deal has been signed) and plans for album #5. Stay tuned, faithful.
https://www.facebook.com/PsychoticWaltzOfficial/
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Back in the day I really didn't get into PW either. I think I had one disc, but it didn't click enough at the time to get the others. Now that they are playing PP, I've been digging into their catalog and I'm loving it now. Can't wait to actually see them live!

AllMediaReviews

Post by AllMediaReviews » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:23 pm

They just eigned to Inside Out, new album in 2020

https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic ... =3&theater
Legendary US progressive metal band Psychotic Waltz OFFICIAL are pleased to announce their signing to InsideOutMusic for the worldwide release of their first new studio album in 23 years.

The band is now entering the studio with engineer Ulrich Wild and will see Jens Bogren (Opeth, Fates Warning, Arch Enemy, etc.) taking care of mixing duties for the their fifth full-length, to be released early 2020. Re-releases of the entire PSYCHOTIC WALTZ catalogue will follow through InsideOutMusic as well.

The band comments:
“We could not be happier about joining the InsideOutMusic roster! We are very excited to soon be sharing our upcoming 5th album with everyone, and it’s also great that we will be able to make our back-catalog available once again. Thanks to all of the patient fans and to everyone at InsideOut for believing in us and giving us the opportunity to do this right.”

PSYCHOTIC WALTZ will next be appearing at both the US and European editions of ProgPower festival and have also added a few special club shows in Germany with support by Ghost Ship Octavius to their trip. See all upcoming dates here:

PSYCHOTIC WALTZ – Live 2019:
4-7th September – Atlanta, GA, USA – ProgPower USA
2nd October – Berlin, Germany – Badehaus
3rd October – Hamburg, Germany – Knust
4th October – Bochum, Germany – Matrix
5th October – Baarlo, The Netherlands – ProgPower Europe
6th October – Mannheim, Germany – MS Connexion Complex

AllMediaReviews

Post by AllMediaReviews » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:03 pm

bump.

1st new album in 23 years, "The-God-Shaped-Void" coming on February 14th! 1st single 1-week from Friday

https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic ... =3&theater

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 pm

AllMediaReviews wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:03 pm
1st new album in 23 years, "The-God-Shaped-Void" coming on February 14th! 1st single 1-week from Friday
Wow, that's incredibly good news! Can't wait.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Sweet! Can't wait to hear it!

elendil

Post by elendil » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am

Unbelievably stoked for this.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:06 pm

If ever an artwork could make you look forward to an album even more, this is it! Such a beautiful artwork and it 110% screams Psychotic Waltz!!!
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:32 am

First single is out now!!!
10 spins later - I’m very happy about this tune. It has elements of “Bleeding” and a little bit of “Into the Everflow”. It’s not a song that’ll change the world, but it’s really well done, and definitely sounds like PW.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:02 am

Yep, loving the new tune after just a single spin...... It's got a certain gritty darkness to it that I can't quite put my finger on who it reminds me of..... Maybe a bit of Ghost? Early Cynic? Very strong song, and pumped to hear the whole thing.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:48 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:02 am
Yep, loving the new tune after just a single spin...... It's got a certain gritty darkness to it that I can't quite put my finger on who it reminds me of..... Maybe a bit of Ghost? Early Cynic? Very strong song, and pumped to hear the whole thing.
Yup, I heard Cynic in there as well.
Claus Jensen

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Love PW! ASG and Everflow are my favs. I never imagined I would get to see them live at this point (thx Glenn they were amazing), much less a new record.

Cover art is exceptional indeed!

Only one spin on my phone, but new song sounded pretty cool. Here is a direct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1V8G43ytE
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:34 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:06 pm
If ever an artwork could make you look forward to an album even more, this is it! Such a beautiful artwork and it 110% screams Psychotic Waltz!!!
Never been a PW fan & they were bleeding awful at PPEU this year (I lasted 2 songs), but I agree, this artwork is very nice & for that reason alone, I'll give this record a try. I hope I like it!!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:00 am

The song was pretty okay, but seemed a bit lifeless without the normal energy I get from their previous albums. I'll certainly purchase this just based on potential, but the initial single isn't an immediate draw.

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:16 am

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:35 am

The new album is out now. What does everyone think of it?
Personally I love it. Must have listened to entire disc ~20 times now and I can’t get enough of it. In my opinion PW is back where they left. I hear bits and pieces that would fit in on all 4 of the previous albums. Luckily (!) there’s not much that reminds of any of the various side projects (Deadsoul tribe, dark star, end amen, ..), this is pure PW as a true unit!
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:24 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:35 am
The new album is out now. What does everyone think of it?
Personally I love it. Must have listened to entire disc ~20 times now and I can’t get enough of it. In my opinion PW is back where they left. I hear bits and pieces that would fit in on all 4 of the previous albums. Luckily (!) there’s not much that reminds of any of the various side projects (Deadsoul tribe, dark star, end amen, ..), this is pure PW as a true unit!
I was never a fan, I lasted 2 songs at ProgPower last year, but enjoyed my first listen of the new album. TIme will tell if it sticks with me but it's promising so far...

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 am

Finally reviewed this one - spoiler alert, I like it. Not flawless, but I like it...

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2020/02/10/p ... um-review/
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Really interesting to see how the new Psychotic Waltz album sits with the two of you, since neither of you were fans to begin with. Very cool though that you both found things in there to like.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:05 pm

The new album is excellent! I like it very much!

On a previous post, for each previous Psychotic Waltz albums I said "The most..."

For the new one, I can't really find it is "The most" what because the album don't really have its own identity. Like Claus said, we hear a little bit of each previous albums. It seems that was the approach when they made the album instead of going for a new sound like they did for each previous albums.

My rating for the new one is 4 out of 5.
Gaétan

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:21 am

GaetanL wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:05 pm
The new album is excellent! I like it very much!

On a previous post, for each previous Psychotic Waltz albums I said "The most..."

For the new one, I can't really find it is "The most" what because the album don't really have its own identity. Like Claus said, we hear a little bit of each previous albums. It seems that was the approach when they made the album instead of going for a new sound like they did for each previous albums.

My rating for the new one is 4 out of 5.
Glad you like it - I've seen people complain about having expected something else or something "more". I get everything I was hoping for in a PW album right here: great melodies, great riffs, that unmistakable guitar-drone sound from Dan Rock, the strange yet beautiful lyrics that are soooo typical of Buddy Lackey, the flute etc etc ... it's all there. Yes, it's not as psychedelic at "ItE" or packing the same punch as "Bleeding", but it's an album that blends all of their best parts together in one, and for a band that's been gone for 20+ years this is an incredible effort.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:24 am

Something I've been pondering about for the last 20 years; why did Buddy Lackey change his name to Devon Graves? At first I thought it was a way for him to distance himself from PW when he was starting up Dead Soul Tribe, but now seeing that he has stuck with Devon Graves as the name to go by even in PW, I'm wondering what the real reason is.

Anyone has some insight knowledge?
Claus Jensen

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:24 am
Something I've been pondering about for the last 20 years; why did Buddy Lackey change his name to Devon Graves? At first I thought it was a way for him to distance himself from PW when he was starting up Dead Soul Tribe, but now seeing that he has stuck with Devon Graves as the name to go by even in PW, I'm wondering what the real reason is.

Anyone has some insight knowledge?
from RadioMetal.com interview: http://www.radiometal.com/article/the-d ... fect,20040

Will you bring back the Buddy Lackey pseudonym?

No, no I’m going to keep Devon Graves I think. But, you know, Buddy Lackey is my real name! The only reason why I never changed it is because I couldn’t think of anything, I never could! And even my own father, I am named after my father, I’m Buddy Lackey Junior and Buddy Lackey Senior, my father, told me “Son, you’ve got to change your name!” (laughs) If you can imagine… He was also a singer, he also changed his name for the stage and he gave me the advice to do so. I just couldn’t think of anything. So unfortunately I kept a name which I really hated, I always hated that name “Buddy.” If I was a comedian that would be fine, if I was a blues guitar player that name would be fine, it just didn’t really suit me and I didn’t like it, every time someone calls me Buddy I just don’t like it. So I changed it to Devon Graves when I made Deadsoul Tribe and, you know, I never really looked back. Now all my friends, my family, my father, they all call me Devon. I could not go back to Buddy just for my own sake of vanity I suppose, but I will just keep the name Devon Graves.

But it is funny because everybody thinks Buddy Lackey is a pseudonym and that Devon Graves is your real name…

(Laughs) I wish it were true, I would have never chosen Buddy Lackey on purpose though.
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:03 pm

To me, it's the most COHESIVE album of their catalogue. It definitely incorporates elements of all the older albums, as well as Dead Soul Tribe, but brings it all together into a very accessible whole. Personally, I am really impressed to hear something THIS strong come out right after that long of an absence..... It just has a flow to the album that picks right up where they left off, but modernizes the whole production.

Only had a chance to listen to it once, but this is a REALLY impressive album, and will be a top ten contender for sure.

elendil

Post by elendil » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:03 pm
To me, it's the most COHESIVE album of their catalogue. It definitely incorporates elements of all the older albums, as well as Dead Soul Tribe, but brings it all together into a very accessible whole. Personally, I am really impressed to hear something THIS strong come out right after that long of an absence..... It just has a flow to the album that picks right up where they left off, but modernizes the whole production.

Only had a chance to listen to it once, but this is a REALLY impressive album, and will be a top ten contender for sure.
Ditto this. The album has that inimitable PW sound, but it's also remarkably fresh and forward-looking. Not a pure nostalgia album by any means.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:36 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

When searching for the most what, I've been thinking of something similar to cohesive. But to me, this is not really describing the sound, unlike chaotic, psychedelic, commercial or melodic.
Gaétan

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:42 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:36 pm
Sir Exar Kun wrote:

When searching for the most what, I've been thinking of something similar to cohesive. But to me, this is not really describing the sound, unlike chaotic, psychedelic, commercial or melodic.
Cohesive is a good word to describe the disc - as is mature!
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:42 pm
Cohesive is a good word to describe the disc - as is mature!
I agree.
Gaétan