These won't leave my rotation

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

These won't leave my rotation

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm

It takes something pretty special to get my attention anymore with all I have going on, so here's a list of random albums I've been spinning lately that are fantastic.

M.I.God - My God, this is some fine metal in the vein of Nevermore/Tomorrow's Eve. Totally dominant performance and likely 2019 AOY for me

Lost in Thought/Renasence - Super lush and dense melodic prog metal with a much improved vocalist and overall compositions.

Not Otherwise Specified/Deadweight - This is some cool, dark prog rock that has a few metal flavorings.

Evenflow/Life Has Just Begun - Great Italian melodic prog. If you like Michelle Luppi in Vision Divine and also his lighter solo work, this is definitely for you. This guy has a similar range and tone.

Darkwater - Yup, this is pretty badass stuff. I generally am not thrilled with the singer as I find his higher treble notes abrasive, kinda like latter day Tony Harnell where he's just on the edge of blowing out his throat and it sounds strained. This time I find him to be much more reserved and perfect for the music. M.IGod is my fav so far this year, this is likely no.2

Asperity/The Final Demand - This came out in 2005 I think and is so overlooked. These guys can write a chorus! The production could have been a bit better as the sound is on the thin side guitar-wise, but I think this is a terrific album that probably only myself has purchased.

introclaus

Re: These won't leave my rotation

Post by introclaus » Fri May 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm
Asperity/The Final Demand - This came out in 2005 I think and is so overlooked. These guys can write a chorus! The production could have been a bit better as the sound is on the thin side guitar-wise, but I think this is a terrific album that probably only myself has purchased.
I love this album!!!! So underrated!!!

I’ve never found anything that has that perfect blend of power and melodies ... it’s really unique in the genre. Closest one would be the first Saint Daemon and it’s still not quite there.
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 pm

Asperity is like a mix of Balance of Power and Pretty Maids. The choruses are like Lance wrote them and a raspier singer delivered the goods. Well, at least I know there's someone else who owns this. Cool.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri May 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 pm
Asperity is like a mix of Balance of Power and Pretty Maids. The choruses are like Lance wrote them and a raspier singer delivered the goods. Well, at least I know there's someone else who owns this. Cool.
I definitely hear the BoP/LK comparisons... not necessarily Maids though. More thinking of this as a power metal version of Stryper though haha :)

EDIT: I found my own review written 13 years ago (thank you wayback machine haha) and apparently I compared them to Evergrey, Balance of Power and McAuley Schenker Group.

Yes I have both the promo CD and the real CD of this.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Mon May 27, 2019 12:17 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks for reminding me about this one. Haven't played it in years, time to rip my CD and put it in my computer. I remember loving the hell out of this back then. Why did I forget about it then? Good question... Time to change this.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 pm

Playing the Asperity disc for the 1st time in years. Was released in 2004. Still as good as ever. Killer melodic heavy/power with hooks aplenty. This band should have made a bigger impact on the scene.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:43 am

Yeah, I can't figure out why this didn't generate more buzz when it was released. Maybe that was a particularly good year and it got lost. I'm going to research some band members to see what they went on to after this if anything. The vocalist is particularly good and I'd be interested to see if he had any other bands after this.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:48 pm

I'm also playing the crap out of Sunburst and Black Fate trying to recapture the Khan and Conception magic. Count me amongst the few that didn't care for the Conception EP. Vasilis isn't quite Roy, but for me he's close enough. The two Black Fate albums are more of the Kamelot style but damn they're fantastic.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm also playing the crap out of Sunburst and Black Fate trying to recapture the Khan and Conception magic. Count me amongst the few that didn't care for the Conception EP. Vasilis isn't quite Roy, but for me he's close enough. The two Black Fate albums are more of the Kamelot style but damn they're fantastic.
I don't care for the new Conception EP either. Way too mellow and light... I need some crunch from them...

David D

Post by David D » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:33 am

Great post Scott!

I have had that aspertiy disc since it came out - and always go back to it once a year. great BoP/PM comparison

I think I put you onto Lost in Thought, and they are one of my favorite prog bands.
Darkwater is just one of my top 5 bands EVER. all 3 discs are masterpieces

In the same vein as Asperity - I recently rediscovered Magnitude 9

I have been continuously replaying all 3 of their discs - 1st one had some weak drums at times, but otherwise i like everything about them and Corey Brown has always been one of my favorite singers - I am sure you know about them - but go back to them again......

Did you ever check out Kiuas .....also one of my favorite under the radar bands that i think you would like....i also still think you would like Anthriel a lot if you haven't tried them!

When does the new Ascendia come out? - definitely the best gift you ever gave me

Dave

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 pm

David D wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:33 am

In the same vein as Asperity - I recently rediscovered Magnitude 9
Hmmm both play heavy metal ... that’s about the only similarity I hear. Magnitude 9 is more of a Qryche meets DTheater meets SymX style prog/power band, whereas Asperity is happy/speedy power metal with big hard rock style melodies.
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Magnitude Nine's debut Chaos to Control is great, but the rest I think suffer from Shred Syndrome. I think with a lot of the guitar shred artists on Shrapnel they tend to not be great on songwriting for vocal melodies. Tony Macalpine is a guitar GOD but struggles write a song with vocals, which is why he doesn't do it. Rob Johnson has a great style but I think it gets lost when mixing with a vocalist such as Corey Brown who has more of an operatic delivery. Their debut was the first album I ever ordered online back in 1998. I think I got it from Impulse. I'd listened to 30 second wav samples for months before I actually got the nerve to put an order through the web.

Everything else from them I've not liked, it was just flat and lifeless. Too bad cause Corey is a great singer. Average songwriting with M9 and poor production on the latest Psyco Drama kinda do him a disservice.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 pm

I think I was a bit harsh in my assessment of Magnine after re-reading the above.

I'm playing some of it now and it's far better than I remember when they were initially released. I do stand by my point that there is a production issue and that the synergy between guitar and vocals could be beefed up. However, I'm kinda liking what I'm hearing today.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 pm
I think I was a bit harsh in my assessment of Magnine after re-reading the above.

I'm playing some of it now and it's far better than I remember when they were initially released. I do stand by my point that there is a production issue and that the synergy between guitar and vocals could be beefed up. However, I'm kinda liking what I'm hearing today.
Funny, I was re-listening to Mag9 as well today and I actually had the opposite opinion. I remember liking them somewhat back when (never an “A class” band but a decent B or C), but it did absolutely nothing for me today. Corey was a really good vocalist, but his Ray Alder copycat style was better suited for Psycho Drama than here.
Claus Jensen

NDFAN

Post by NDFAN » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:21 pm

I really like Magnitude 9's Decoding The Soul. Better than the other two.

NDFAN

Post by NDFAN » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

PS
Try Symmetrya

Stevie WOnder

Post by Stevie WOnder » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 pm

I owe you a huge thanks bro for the Even Flow. What a nice melodic metal band. You have to check the semi acoustic ep too. It’s so melodic. And yes, he sounds like Luppi, not quite there but real close.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 pm
I owe you a huge thanks bro for the Even Flow. What a nice melodic metal band. You have to check the semi acoustic ep too. It’s so melodic. And yes, he sounds like Luppi, not quite there but real close.
I was going to wait for the physical CD before I check out the acoustic stuff. Glad you like them, I find them to be quite refreshing and exactly what I'm looking for these days.

David D

Post by David D » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:27 am

just to clarify - asperity and mag 9 are nothing alike in sound, but......

both recently got me to go back and listen again and realize i really like them both. the similarity is the under the radar status

i have always liked some shred - symphony x was my favorite band for a while, and still is at times.
some of the mag 9 choruses and coreys voice just really connect with me. Afterlife gets stuck in my head a lot!

But scott you have typically been more melodic/prog than heavy metal/power in taste than me - so i think i understand.

my two new heavy listens are the new releases by Innerwish and In Flames(don't be scared off by previous melodeath sounds)

In Flames - stay with me ......one of my favorite songs all time now - it is PERFECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKYzlp3foD8

and Innerwish is not just another powermetal band....(reminds me a little of Ascendia ......let me know your thoughts Scott)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dUx0E26xB8

also really like Harmony - the window of my soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NPgp5MFivg

David D.

Stevie WOnder

Post by Stevie WOnder » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:19 pm
Stevie WOnder wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 pm
I was going to wait for the physical CD before I check out the acoustic stuff. Glad you like them, I find them to be quite refreshing and exactly what I'm looking for these days.
Same here. It just hits that sweet spot. Great summer listen. 😊
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:24 pm

David D wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:27 am
and Innerwish is not just another powermetal band....(reminds me a little of Ascendia ......let me know your thoughts Scott)
Innerwish is freakin fantastic. I have their entire catalog, but obviously the newest one is the best. The singer is the same one from the Fragile Vastness album Tribute to Life. He's much different here but still amazing. Innerwish is definitely in my top ten of the last five or so years.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:42 am

Anyone looking for Innerwish there's a great deal on it here right now... :shock:

https://www.nehrecords.com/product/innerwish-innerwish/

David D

Post by David D » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:12 am

Wow great site - they also have Wolverine - the Window Purpose for 5$

thanks for the link - ill check it for sales from time to time.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 pm

I also have to throw in Burnclear to the rotation. Lost for Life is absolutely essential and firmly sits in between Black Fate(another awesome band) and Khan era Kamelot but without the Euro elements. This is super lush, dense melodiprog with an excellent vocalist and some great guitar/keys interplay.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:55 pm

I also have to throw in Burnclear to the rotation. Lost for Life
Checking this out now. Sounds pretty good!

David D

Post by David D » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 am

I never told you Scott, but I bought the Burnclear. Another great recommendation from you so thanks.

Did you ever check out Meshiak - alliance of thieves

i just listened again last night - and i think it is my favorite Thrash disc of all time. lots of progressive elements thrown in - and also great choruses and acoustic guitars!