Where's the Darkwater love??

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

EmptyThoughts

Where's the Darkwater love??

Post by EmptyThoughts » Fri May 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Just a thought I wanted to post. I can't believe there's not more chatter for the new Darkwater album :?

This album hasn't left my Playlist since it came out. It's got everything us (ProgHeads) love about this genre... It's heavy, melodic, symphonic in parts, intricate and most importantly, one hell of a vocalist. Now this is how Prog Metal should sound with a bit of a modern approach. Definitely the best album I've heard this year and I've heard quite a few.

Just my 2 cents...

introclaus

Re: Where's the Darkwater love??

Post by introclaus » Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 am

http://www.pmrising.com/pm/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11140

We’ve talked about it quite a bit already - that’s the main thread above but there are other ones out there. Personally I still think this band is bland - I mean, they do what they do really well, but there’s absolutely no element of “danger” or excitement to them. Nothing that’s “wow, never heard that before” and nothing that stands out. Sure, the melodies are nice and I can totally understand why people like Larry who think progressive metal and “prog metal” are the same (heh) will love this, but for me it just doesn’t tick the right boxes. And I still think Henrik has an annoying lisp when he sings.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat May 18, 2019 5:21 pm

If I had a nickel for every time I've played this disc ..... well, you know the rest. This is my #1 disc of the year so far ....... to me, this is why I listen to Prog Metal.

I didn't keep harping on it so people wouldn't get tired of me yakking about it every day ...... I play the disc at least once a day, and since it's release, I was spinning it twice a day. It does not get old. It just blows me away every time.

I think what it happening is - when this first came out, there wasn't much else being released and it was being discussed regularly..... fast forward a couple of months, and there is a slew of material coming out all the time, and with Glenn pouring in music to no end, some discs are bound to get lost in the shuffle. That's not a bad thing by the way ........ :wink:

But for the record, I am still in love with disc; and Claus - Henrik rules to no end. :wink:

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sun May 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Count me in as loving this disc. It’s very much on the melodic side of prog metal. Quite catchy while still having the chops to keep things interesting. I think Henrik is a very good singer. Haven’t noticed a lisp personally.
Perhaps not creating much new, but extremely well done non the less.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 am

One of my favorite cds of the year so far. Quite surprised vocalist would be an issue here, but I'm not a fan of another one that is well liked by many so you never know.

Stevie WOnder

Post by Stevie WOnder » Mon May 27, 2019 7:44 pm

#1 of the year for me. Melodies are awesome, great singing, musicianship... it’s all there.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

EnchantED

Post by EnchantED » Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 pm

An amazing cd!!! Everything sounds godly. I listen to it every day, and never get bored with it. One of the best discs in my collection!