Stone Leaders

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

dudleyau

Stone Leaders

Post by dudleyau » Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 am

I purchased this album after going down a rabbit hole from a YouTube video of Dino's cover of "Heal the Waters" and I'm pretty happy I did. Anyone else buy this one? I don't think it's recorded very well but tons of catchy stuff on there. Really pleased.

Random Axe

Re: Stone Leaders

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 10, 2019 12:19 pm

It is good, but I'm hesitant to call it great. As mentioned on previous threads it does have a serious ARK flavor and the vocalist is quite good. They blur the line between heavy prog and melodic rock pretty well but I'd prefer a more focused album. I've only had it a few days so my opinion can change.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat May 11, 2019 12:08 am

Random Axe wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:19 pm
It is good, but I'm hesitant to call it great. As mentioned on previous threads it does have a serious ARK flavor and the vocalist is quite good. They blur the line between heavy prog and melodic rock pretty well but I'd prefer a more focused album. I've only had it a few days so my opinion can change.
I agree they can use more focus, but I don't think that pulls it off of being a great album, personally.

dudleyau

Post by dudleyau » Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 am

I definitely wouldn't call it great by any means. I think it is a solid debut and just a pleasant surprise.

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm

I’m enjoying this one. I do think it’s more of a rock than metal record. It’s not brilliant but it’s very good imo. Ark, on the other was quite brilliant. :D
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Stevie WOnder

Post by Stevie WOnder » Mon May 13, 2019 12:07 am

It’s ok, nothing spectacular. Kind of generic but the good moments are great.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon May 13, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm in agreement with everyone ....... it's a good but not great overall disc.......playing and singing are excellent, but the writing could be a bit better....... that said, the bass is pretty non-existent in my system. There is a world of difference between playing this disc and the MIGOD disc back to back - the sound collapses on SL due to lack of bass....... they have something going on here, hopefully they can crank it up on the next release.......