Beast in Black / From Hell with Love ......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Beast in Black / From Hell with Love ......

Post by LarryD » Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 am

I didn't see any particular posts about this disc, although I did a search here for Yannis Papadapoulos and found some reference to the band......
So I went off and did my research on Yannis and I still kept coming back to this disc......

Glenn played the whole disc for me recently, and I thought I was going to poo-poo it and deem it cheesy power metal ......which I normally stay away from. Not having had one drink in me at the time, I found myself bopping and toe-tapping and pretty much in awe at the vocal performance of Yannis.... towards the end of the disc, after proclaiming that the disc sounds like a ( gasp ) combination of Sabaton meets Bon Jovi, (yes you read that right), I'm then proclaiming that I had to have this......over to Amazon, and I'm a proud owner.

I am still not sure how to describe this disc - other than - Sabaton meets Bon Jovi. Imagine some of the beats, guitar riffs of Sabaton ..... and then throw in some Bon Jovi keyboards, and some Bon Jovi style choruses, and you're in the ballpark......if you're scratching your head and wondering if I really am drunk, nope ...... this is about as much fun as you can have with a disc, without having a drop to help out. There is no way to stop the head banging, toe-tapping, air guitar playing while this disc is on ...... throw in those ( what some call screechy ), over the top, stratospheric range of Yannis, and you have one of the most fun, engaging discs I've heard recently without having to think about a thing...... you just enjoy it, and think about how much fun it is when it's over.

Remember the energy that came from that Sabaton show at Prog Power ? That's the type of energy I'm speaking about here on this disc......
They have a great formula going on here - the combination sounds completely weird, I know...... but when you put it all together, and thrown in those crazy, over the top vocals.....you have a disc that comes completely out of nowhere and allows you to immerse yourself in it, and it also makes you forget about the embarrassment you may feel about actually liking it ...... Very cool disc !!!!!!!

Nos

Re: Beast in Black / From Hell with Love ......

Post by Nos » Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 am

I'm conflicted on it. The songs are (with one exception) really good and fun cheesy 80s stuff. That said, the singer drives me nuts. He's too over-the-top for me.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Fri May 10, 2019 11:24 am

LarryD wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 am
I didn't see any particular posts about this disc, although I did a search here for Yannis Papadapoulos and found some reference to the band......
So I went off and did my research on Yannis and I still kept coming back to this disc......

Glenn played the whole disc for me recently, and I thought I was going to poo-poo it and deem it cheesy power metal ......which I normally stay away from. Not having had one drink in me at the time, I found myself bopping and toe-tapping and pretty much in awe at the vocal performance of Yannis.... towards the end of the disc, after proclaiming that the disc sounds like a ( gasp ) combination of Sabaton meets Bon Jovi, (yes you read that right), I'm then proclaiming that I had to have this......over to Amazon, and I'm a proud owner.

I am still not sure how to describe this disc - other than - Sabaton meets Bon Jovi. Imagine some of the beats, guitar riffs of Sabaton ..... and then throw in some Bon Jovi keyboards, and some Bon Jovi style choruses, and you're in the ballpark......if you're scratching your head and wondering if I really am drunk, nope ...... this is about as much fun as you can have with a disc, without having a drop to help out. There is no way to stop the head banging, toe-tapping, air guitar playing while this disc is on ...... throw in those ( what some call screechy ), over the top, stratospheric range of Yannis, and you have one of the most fun, engaging discs I've heard recently without having to think about a thing...... you just enjoy it, and think about how much fun it is when it's over.

Remember the energy that came from that Sabaton show at Prog Power ? That's the type of energy I'm speaking about here on this disc......
They have a great formula going on here - the combination sounds completely weird, I know...... but when you put it all together, and thrown in those crazy, over the top vocals.....you have a disc that comes completely out of nowhere and allows you to immerse yourself in it, and it also makes you forget about the embarrassment you may feel about actually liking it ...... Very cool disc !!!!!!!
So basicly what you are describing is if the energy of Sabaton live translated to disk(which is my problem with Sabaton,while they are a "must see at all costs"live band with how much fun they are live,to me they are in the Blind Guardian category of 2 or 3 great songs on a disk and the rest filler category

Will check out
Tarja is a female woman

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 am

Any band that uses the Scorpions triple axe move gets a thumbs up from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qWbowzwZU

And from the debut album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N4tXf3Ensw

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm

This feels like a band that if i saw opening for someone I liked, I'd probably be into and maybe buy a disc or two on the way out, then listen to a couple days later and find myself underwhelmed.

That being said, this seems like it SHOULD be up my alley, combining power metal with 80s cheese..... However, it's somewhat lacking in the "power" end of things for me, and the keyboards are just TOO cheesy and over the top. I'm not sold on that completely though, so if there is some sort of MUST HEAR song, point me to it.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Wed May 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm
I'm not sold on that completely though, so if there is some sort of MUST HEAR song, point me to it.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N4tXf3Ensw

If you don't like it, time for you to move on.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm

If you don't like it, time for you to move on.
That's a good track, and by all rights it should be doing something more for me..... Not sure why I'm not feeling the love for it right now. It reminds me a bit of Annette era Nightwish, perhaps?

Anywho..... Back to Octavarium and MI God for me.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Wed May 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm

That's a good track, and by all rights it should be doing something more for me..... Not sure why I'm not feeling the love for it right now. It reminds me a bit of Annette era Nightwish, perhaps?

Anywho..... Back to Octavarium and MI God for me.

I think you answered your own question with the last comment. While you enjoy some cheesy power on occassion, it looks like your head is full blown prog at the moment. Nothing wrong with that. Ebb and flow with the tide....

Btw, not sure if you saw this video of the vocalist (who was in Until Rain) doing the Nightwish cover previously posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZxu1aQzp8