Myrath / Shehili ....first thoughts ......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Myrath / Shehili ....first thoughts ......

Post by LarryD » Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 am

On the disc itself -- I'm two passes deep, and I don't feel the "urgency" that I did on Legacy ....... that's not to say that this isn't a good disc, it is.....but it's a more song oriented disc, even more so than Legacy, and that 47:00 time never sits well with me, especially with a band of this caliber...... as Claus said, when they go full on Tunisian, they are at their best and to me, what they do best .......

That said - the guitar seems to be a little more crunchier this time around, and Zaher can do no wrong in the vocal dept.......that guy is amazing...

I've loved every Myrath disc released.... their problem is, they have a lot of competition ....... themselves......... :P

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Myrath / Shehili ....first thoughts ......

Post by LarryD » Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm playing this disc for the second time today - and it's so cool when you know a disc is easily going to make it to the Top 10 list for the year, yet you deem it not as good as their previous one ...... that's a bad ass band...... it's like what happens with Vanden Plas. You know it's top 10 before you even get it, and you can say with confidence, that the disc is not as good as such and such a disc, and still love it. This band can do no wrong.....

This all could change though ..... the production on this disc is much better than on Legacy, and Zaher sounds so good ..... we will see. Easy purchase for Myrath fans ......

Stevie WOnder

Post by Stevie WOnder » Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Short thoughts here: I definitely prefer this one to Legacy which I felt was too poppy. Agreed on the crunch, it’s not Madness crunch but it’s definitely heavier. Agreed also on the vocals, they’re as awesome as ever. What a great voice!!!
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 am

This is now starting to shift gears for me and I'm starting to think that this one is even better than Legacy....... there are a couple of filler songs on each disc, but what is separating this from Legacy is the beefed up production and more melodramatic moments....... The band seems more controlled if you will, especially in the vocal dept, and it's starting to sound more "focused" than Legacy, if that makes sense......

Either way - this is a Top 10 disc easily, and I only wish it was a little longer...... at 47:00, it goes by quick.

dudleyau

Post by dudleyau » Fri May 10, 2019 9:01 am

I agree that this disc seems less poppy. This band just keeps maturing into a more and more unique, bad ass sound every outing. I wish they were able to mount a headline tour in the states.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 10, 2019 12:21 pm

I played this once through yesterday and I liked what I heard but really didn't have the opportunity to concentrate on it. Sounded pretty fantastic on a cursory spin on the way to and back from a work meeting.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 pm

The riffs are a lot chunkier this go-round, and this is the album I'd've preferred come after Tales, personally. I'm finally on my first listen through as I failed to preorder it, and damn...it's so good.