M.I.GOD- Specters on Parade

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Harvester

M.I.GOD- Specters on Parade

Post by Harvester » Mon May 06, 2019 10:23 am

German prog metal with tons of crunch and shredding. Symphony X comes to mind instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv--TClfSSc

P.S. Please note this thread is an anti-shitting zone.

introclaus

Re: M.I.GOD- Specters on Parade

Post by introclaus » Mon May 06, 2019 10:41 am

Harvester wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:23 am
German prog metal with tons of crunch and shredding. Symphony X comes to mind instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv--TClfSSc

P.S. Please note this thread is an anti-shitting zone.
There’s some really good stuff going on here - I don’t necessarily think SymX but perhaps more Superior (which isn’t a bad thing to be compared to!).
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon May 06, 2019 10:54 am

You're on a roll today bro !!!!! :D

I definitely hear a SX vibe --- maybe not in the singer, but in the music ........ regardless, this is quality stuff ........

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 am

I can hear some SX in there without it being too blatant. Which is a good thing.
I’m trying to place who the singer reminds me of. I hear a bit of Khan perhaps, but there is someone else I’m trying to connect here.
Regardless, I quite like this song.

Another good find Glenn.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Mon May 06, 2019 5:38 pm

I wish I'd read the anti-shitting zone part before listening cause my undies would have appreciated that.

This sounds somewhere between Lyra's Legacy and Vanish, which is perfect for me cause those are great albums. I'll have to see who carries this one and pick it up. Great catch!

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 am

Let us know where you find it! I love this tune, for sure..... Definitely hear SX in the neo-classical leads, maybe a HINT of Superior but not as much as I expected..... It just has a classic 90s prog metal vibe coupled with a modern crunch. Maybe a bit on the Tomorrow's Eve vein, perhaps?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 am

Entire album is on spotify.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue May 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Just ordered from Amazon Prime, should be here Friday or Saturday. They appear to have a single copy remaining if anyone wants to jump. It's 23.99 but that's fine for quality. It's not like I'm buying a bunch of stuff in 2019 anyway

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm

https://www.importcds.com/specters-on-p ... 0101572004

Found it here searching under Specters on Parade. On back order now. I think I got the last one? :wink:

Stevie WOnder

Post by Stevie WOnder » Wed May 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Absolutely love this!! Awesome stuff! I hear some SymX but in very short bursts. I also hear some Madsword r so it seems.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 pm

This is exactly the kind of release I was looking for this year, though it came out in 2018. My initial impression holds up after going through the whole thing, it's squarely in the same league and style as Tomorrow's Eve, Appearance of Nothing, Vanish, Lrya's Legacy. The package is a digi, but the booklet is so classy and sturdy.

Now, I gotta call bullshit on the interludes between songs. They have several 25-45 second vignettes that serve zero purpose to me. Kamelot's Epica was a victim of this as well. Just play some damn tunes, I don't need to hear a phone ring for 20 seconds. If I ripped this like I normally do without looking at track length I would have been pissed with all the unnecessary nonsense in my walkman.

I won't subtract points, though as the music is what rules here. This would have been in my top five last year had I known about them.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Picked this up and spun it a couple times. I think it reminds me of Conception. Especially the singer and melodies. Highly recommended!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat May 11, 2019 5:30 pm

This thing is an absolute monster !!!!! I'm at a loss for words as to how good this is ....... I'll chime in the description when I've spun it more than 2 times...... the singer is bad ass.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat May 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 pm
This is exactly the kind of release I was looking for this year, though it came out in 2018. My initial impression holds up after going through the whole thing, it's squarely in the same league and style as Tomorrow's Eve, Appearance of Nothing, Vanish, Lrya's Legacy. The package is a digi, but the booklet is so classy and sturdy.

Now, I gotta call bullshit on the interludes between songs. They have several 25-45 second vignettes that serve zero purpose to me. Kamelot's Epica was a victim of this as well. Just play some damn tunes, I don't need to hear a phone ring for 20 seconds. If I ripped this like I normally do without looking at track length I would have been pissed with all the unnecessary nonsense in my walkman.

I won't subtract points, though as the music is what rules here. This would have been in my top five last year had I known about them.
Official release date for this album was February 15, 2019 so you can keep it on your list for this year :)
Claus Jensen

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 am

Huge Nevermore vibe on this. If you need a serious heavy kick in the ass you definitely want to spin this. My god!! Pun intended, of course. Gonna be hard to top this one I say. Thanks to this board for steering me right to this one.

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sun May 12, 2019 3:21 pm

RickyRock wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 am
Huge Nevermore vibe on this. If you need a serious heavy kick in the ass you definitely want to spin this. My god!! Pun intended, of course. Gonna be hard to top this one I say. Thanks to this board for steering me right to this one.
I’m definitely hearing the Nevermore as well. More so than SX even. The lead guitar also sounds more inspired by Loomis than Romeo. He isn’t as good as either (few are), though quite good.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun May 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Glenn hit the nail on the head with this one ....... this is seriously kicking my ass the right way !!!!!! And they are doing it mostly without keyboards...... The singer just blows me away ....... Low Goth tone, Mid-Range Khan tone, high tone, and growls that are perfectly executed.....

This is just the total package for me ....... killer disc. I know some people don't care for those interludes, which are everywhere ..... but it's a concept disc, and I'm a chump for that kind of thing, so it's a win win for me .......

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I've gotten to the point where I hate interludes so bad I'm going to have a hard time listening to this much even if the rest is good. I just don't understand why bands don't understand how lame these things are. Sure they might seem clever the first few times, but then they are so annoying every other listen. I only did one quick listen last week, so haven't developed much of an opinion but decided I needed to whine about this.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Digital Man wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm
I've gotten to the point where I hate interludes so bad I'm going to have a hard time listening to this much even if the rest is good. I just don't understand why bands don't understand how lame these things are. Sure they might seem clever the first few times, but then they are so annoying every other listen. I only did one quick listen last week, so haven't developed much of an opinion but decided I needed to whine about this.
Yup that kills it for me as well. Musically this is good, borderlining to great, but the interludes are horrible and take away the enjoyment from listening to the album very quickly.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Mon May 13, 2019 4:54 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Digital Man wrote:
Yup that kills it for me as well. Musically this is good, borderlining to great, but the interludes are horrible and take away the enjoyment from listening to the album very quickly.
Well, just do like me , skip the damn useless interludes and play the actual 10 songs. Makes the album much better for me!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 pm

I must be one of the few people who actually like the interludes........ I love concept discs, and I love the interludes / narrations that come with them..... they are part of the story, along with the music, and I appreciate the time and creativity the writers took to add these into the total disc. It makes the concept disc an experience, not just music.....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon May 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:54 pm
introclaus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Digital Man wrote:
Well, just do like me , skip the damn useless interludes and play the actual 10 songs. Makes the album much better for me!
I don’t always sit with the remote to the CD player (or in this situation to iTunes) in my hand lol
Claus Jensen

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 am

I also like the interludes. For me they set up the songs giving you the anticipation of something awesome is on the way and in this it does not disappoint. Will that make the album tiresome in time? I doubt it. With tunes this killer they could fart between each song and I’d still listen. Between this and the Red Bazar (totally different sides of the spectrum) I have my two top discs so far this year.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am

This album really needs some distro! I'm not sure where everyone is getting a copy, but mine came from Amazon at an import premium price.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue May 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Ordered one from eBay for $15.98 and free shipping.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Tue May 14, 2019 2:28 pm

I don't know if it's a real CD or a CDR of some sort, but you can get a CD from Bandcamp for 12 Euros.

https://fastball-music.bandcamp.com/alb ... -on-parade

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue May 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am
This album really needs some distro! I'm not sure where everyone is getting a copy, but mine came from Amazon at an import premium price.
***It's on iTunes, Spotify, and streaming on Amazon. It's also available from Amazon as MP3s for $11.49, and there are many vendors who are listing the disc as Used or New, in my case I got a used one from RareWave Imports for $12.49. It's cool that this music is out there in some shape or form. If I can't find the CD, I always buy the MP3s from Amazon until Ken or Amazon get the CD in for sale .......

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 pm

I'll go ahead and bump this up to the top again because this album is beastly. This has got my absolute attention now. I'm still having to skip the interludes between every song, but those songs are so massive and melodic and powerful! For me, this kills anything else released this year by a decent margin. My plan is to rip this to my Walkman and my car thumbdrive so I can listen to all songs back to back to get the full experience of not skipping. Bottom line, this disc is ridiculous and easily the best I've heard in 2019, maybe even in 2018.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 pm
I'll go ahead and bump this up to the top again because this album is beastly. This has got my absolute attention now. I'm still having to skip the interludes between every song, but those songs are so massive and melodic and powerful! For me, this kills anything else released this year by a decent margin. My plan is to rip this to my Walkman and my car thumbdrive so I can listen to all songs back to back to get the full experience of not skipping. Bottom line, this disc is ridiculous and easily the best I've heard in 2019, maybe even in 2018.
*** You go bro !!!!! Awesome to read this ....... I am in agreement with everything you said, and it is exciting to read that someone enjoys this disc that much ...... I am one of those few who actually enjoy the interludes, so I don't mind any of that ...... this is certainly a beast of a disc.......so far it is sitting at #2 for me, just behind the almighty Darkwater. If any disc could come close to knocking the Darkwater off it's pedestal, it could be this one .... time will tell. But for now, the Darkwater is the one to beat for me. I'm guessing that if maybe the MIGOD had some keyboards thrown in here and there, it might have had a chance, but as it stands, this disc is blowing me away without the use of keyboards which says tons for this disc when it comes to me. It's exciting when discs like this come out of the blue to blow everyone away........

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Darkwater is pretty terrific as well. I just find the immediacy of the MIGOD arrangements to be a little more appealing. I can definitely see these as my 1 and 2 of the year for sure. I went back and listened to their previous album called Floor 29, and wow was that not good. I'm sure the songs were okay but the production I heard had the vocals so far over the rest of the band it was distracting. Their growth since 2012 has been phenomenal obviously and they really need to catch on with a label to get this out beyond their facebook page. I didn't pick it up at first, but there really is a Nevermore vibe going on here, and the leads are so much like Loomis.

BTW, what is the correct pronunciation of this band? Is it simply my god? Or is it all artsy and Em Ai God? Either way my reaction is the same for this album Ho Lee Shit!

BC

Post by BC » Sat May 25, 2019 2:08 am

iTunes has two versions of Specters on Parade, one without the interludes. I know many of you prefer a physical CD over digital, but the option is there if you’re interested.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sat May 25, 2019 1:24 pm

I’m ok with interludes if they are done well. The spoken parts here make me cringe. I’m just glad they are all separate tracks. Just make a playlist, burn a new cd, etc. without the interludes. Easy enough.

I’m in on this one, and it’s better without (most of) the interludes for me.

Manuel Cedeno

Post by Manuel Cedeno » Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 pm

BC wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:08 am
iTunes has two versions of Specters on Parade, one without the interludes. I know many of you prefer a physical CD over digital, but the option is there if you’re interested.
Yup. For those complaining about the interludes, this version is on various platforms now for digital download. It's called "Specters on Parade (Song-Edition)"

Absolute killer release. I actually hear more Soilwork than SX here.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat May 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Manuel Cedeno wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 pm
BC wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:08 am
Yup. For those complaining about the interludes, this version is on various platforms now for digital download. It's called "Specters on Parade (Song-Edition)"

Absolute killer release. I actually hear more Soilwork than SX here.
I like the album a lot but I’m not going to buy it twice now that the band realized they fucked up lol ...
Claus Jensen