Octavarium- Dystopia

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Harvester

Octavarium- Dystopia

Post by Harvester » Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 am

Not sure how I missed this considering the name. No real description needed. Just know it veers more towards the prog rock side than metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlS_dnoibtc

P.S. I'd ask in advance that you not shit in my thread.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Octavarium- Dystopia

Post by LarryD » Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 am

That is SWEET !!!!!!!!! Great way to start a Monday morning .......... tracking that down asap !!!!!! Thanks GLenn !!!!!

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Uhh.....yeah

.uh....

Sold
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 am

I bought this disc on Amazon for a whopping $7.99. :D

It gets better with each listen - it's actually hard to describe, but at times it sounds like a modern / alternative / prog rock version of Dream Theater...... yes, very weird. My only bitch with it - and I knew this going in - is that the singer reminds me of Billy Corgan ( The Smashing Pumpkins - remember them ? ) .... he has that alternative rock sneer, snarly, punk ass attitude to his tone ...... the vocals are also arranged in a monotone style, so he pretty much remains in one range throughout ...... it's the music that outshines him for sure, but once you get used to this combo, the disc really shines.....the band has great chops, but lots of time stick to the more straight ahead style without showing themselves off too much ......the keyboards are what really drives this band, and gives it an epic, dramatic undertone. It is definitely one of the weirder combo of styles / singing that would normally turn me off, but I'm finding it very interesting.... I'm always waiting to see a picture of Billy Corgan show up on a search for the band members, and in all honesty, I could never stand his vocals from day one..... here, it doesn't seem to bother me so much, but I can't figure out why.

It's definitely from the "different" camp of what we would call Prog .... it's definitely not metal, but those Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, alternative undertones are felt everywhere and I am not a fan of that genre..... so there is something to this band that draws me in when it shouldn't.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Thu May 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah this and a bunch of albums will be purchased for my phone via Amazon
Waaaaay behind new releases
Tarja is a female woman

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Loving this! Not hearing a single ounce of Billy Corgan, but hey..... That's a good thing as I cannot STAND him. It's got a raw sound akin to much of the 90s prog, thinking something that would have been on Black Mark like a World of Silence perhaps.

Now, I can have my regular hissy fit that this appears to be a digital only release.

Great find!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson