Welcome back everyone !!!!!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Welcome back everyone !!!!!

Post by LarryD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:56 am

HI everyone ---

Sorry for that glitch that brought us down for some time ...... as you can see we are back ........... the hosting company upgraded their server software recently, and unfortunately, our software couldn't keep up with their upgrade and they left us in the dust ...... yes, they did send out a message that it possibly could happen once they did that, but I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best .......nope, that didn't work. But -- we are finally back up and running again. Some of us who post on the Prog Power Board hung out over there for awhile, and that's where I usually post when the board goes down.......so if that ever happens again, check out the Prog Power Forum, and you should see something there ..... thanks to Glenn for allowing me to keep everyone updated from his board.

I see that the board is running quicker - and some of the smilies have been upgraded as well, but I haven't been through the software yet to see what else they upgraded.....I'm just happy it's back up and running again....... post away !!!!!! And Happy Easter to everyone !!!!!

elendil

Re: Welcome back everyone !!!!!

Post by elendil » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 am

Glad to see the forum is back and you've gotten things sorted, Larry. Happy Easter!

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:13 am

I’ve been checking every day...glad to have the site back, I need my fix!

Seems to be running way faster too!
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:11 pm

Nice Easter gift! Thanks a lot Larry! Happy Easter everyone!

Maybe it's a bug or I miss something in the preferences maybe, but all popup menus seems to be opened by default and they hide some text under. For example in this topic, the topic tools menu is opened by default and hide a part of the message by Larry. I need to close it everytimes I open the topic. I'm using Firefox latest version. I have the same issue with the last version of Opera (based on Chrome Engine).
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:47 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Nice Easter gift! Thanks a lot Larry! Happy Easter everyone!

Maybe it's a bug or I miss something in the preferences maybe, but all popup menus seems to be opened by default and they hide some text under. For example in this topic, the topic tools menu is opened by default and hide a part of the message by Larry. I need to close it everytimes I open the topic. I'm using Firefox latest version. I have the same issue with the last version of Opera (based on Chrome Engine).
**** Yes that seems to be one of the issues that started because of the upgrade........ I'll have them check it this week ........ I turn off the menus as well, but they come back anyway ....... A small problem compared to what it was - I'll take it for now ........ I'll be gone for the next 3 days, so when I return I'll have them check that menu thing........I'll be monitoring the board as well ........

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:03 pm

I know that the Black / Green combo screen color is most peoples' favorite, but that's where the problem lies in the menu drop downs ....... I've already sent a message out to the company describing the issue, and it appears to be common with this update ....... if you can live with it in the meantime, great- but if you can't live with it, change back over to the Silver profile screen and you won't see those drop down menus ......... once they add in some code to fix it, I'll let everyone know ......... it appears to be a minor fix.

Thanks for everyone's patience .............it's good to be back ............

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Ok so it looks like all of the background schemes except for Pro-Silver are not compatible with the new upgrade ............ I've tried them all and the only one that works normal is the Pro-Silver. The others are not compatible. As I said earlier, you can switch to Pro-Silver to avoid this issue, or stick it out until they find some background themes that are compatible with the new upgrade .........

If you forgot how to change it - go to your Profile near the top right of the screen, go to User Control Panel, then Board Preference and you can change your theme over to Pro-Silver for the time being .......

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Good to see we are back. Thanks for the tip on changing to silver.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks a lot for getting us going again Larry. Having the board down makes me realize how much I enjoy this board. Really missed it.

langkoar

Post by langkoar » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:06 am

Thanks Larry for Resurrection Sunday !!!

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:01 pm

glad to see the board up and running again!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 am

Update for everyone .........

I've sent a request in to the hosting company to add in an additional color scheme to the board ....... The Pro-Silver scheme we are using now is the only one that is certified to be used with the current upgrade but others have come out since then, and I've chosen a dark color scheme for those who prefer it darker than this .....

I picked a Black & Blue color scheme .....I'll let everyone know when it's in place, and you can choose which color scheme you want to use ......

If you want a preview of what it looks like, go over to the Prog Power Board, and picture that in a Black and Blue color scheme and that's fairly close to what it will look like ........this will be the final upgrade to the board as we are now current. Finally !!!!! 8)

sez

Post by sez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:18 pm

One thing you can do in the meantime if you still want a dark board: there's a browser plugin for both Firefox and Chrome called Dark Reader. It's designed to turn any website you want dark. If you use the Prosilver theme and you use Dark Reader, just make sure the plugin is enabled for this site, and you have a look that's pretty similar to the old dark mode.

https://darkreader.org/

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:34 pm

sez wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:18 pm
One thing you can do in the meantime if you still want a dark board: there's a browser plugin for both Firefox and Chrome called Dark Reader. It's designed to turn any website you want dark. If you use the Prosilver theme and you use Dark Reader, just make sure the plugin is enabled for this site, and you have a look that's pretty similar to the old dark mode.

https://darkreader.org/
*** Thanks for the tip - will give it a shot.......

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 pm

This is excellent !!!!!!! Thanks for the tip --- anyone looking to get some darkness onto your site, this one or any one, this reader extension is awesome..... I'm using it as I write this, and it was installed in a matter of seconds.......

In fact - this is about what the new color scheme looks like when it gets installed ........ had I know this existed, I would have saved some $$.... :wink:

But - this works for all sites, not just here, making this really special ........thanks again Sez !!!!!!

sez

Post by sez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:19 pm

No problem. :D

Just be aware it doesn't work perfectly for every site (does anything work perfectly though?). And if you use it for JavaScript-heavy things like Gmail or Google Docs, it can slow things down. A properly designed dark theme is therefore better, so if you had to buy one, your money was well spent.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks Larry for getting our home back online :)
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:35 pm

I will wait for the Black & Blue dark theme from Larry. The unread threads will be more obvious I guess than with the prosilver theme I'm temporary using...
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 am

Ok - I just got back an update from the hosting company ....... they are telling me that they cannot install the new, dark color scheme I sent to them because it is not compatible with the new upgrade they just did for us ...... according to the phpBB support group, the one I sent to them is compatible, but I'm not arguing. They offered to switch the Pro-Silver color with the new one, as in change the default but they couldn't guarantee it would work and I didn't want the board down again for any amount of time ......

In the meantime - I'll do some more research, but frankly, I'm tired of researching ....... the new Dark Reader that SEZ pointed out for Chrome is awesome, works great, and it's just about the color scheme I had chosen for the secondary color......please use that in the meantime if the Pro-Silver is too much for your eyes...... it installs in seconds, and I am using for this site daily.

If there are any phpBB experts out there - (I'm told you are a dying breed like the Akkadian Assassins in The Scorpion King), and you want to help, please contact me in a PM Message or in my email addy .........

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri May 03, 2019 10:15 am

One thing I like with the dark theme is that the unread threads titles have a different color so it's more obvious to notice them. I didn't try the dark reader plugin but I'm pretty sure it will not do that...

But it's not the end of the world to not have it. Larry, if it's easy, go for it, but don't spend to much time for it if it's too complicated. Thanks again for your time for our home.
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 am

Test