The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

T'ski

New Arch/Matheos..

Post by T'ski » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 am

Nos

Re: New Arch/Matheos..

Post by Nos » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:53 am

God I hate his voice so much. I think I made out one of every three words he was trying to sing.

Controversial(?) opinion: if you arne't intelligible, you're a lousy singer. Getting the lyric across is a huge component to singing.

Adam Strange

Post by Adam Strange » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:45 pm

I couldn't disagree more. John crafts vocal melodies like no one else. His voice has a way of slipping around the instrumental sections. I felt sheer awe hearing his mystical voice again. Good to have Jim and John joining forces again. Spine tingling stuff!

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Nos wrote:God I hate his voice so much. I think I made out one of every three words he was trying to sing.

Controversial(?) opinion: if you arne't intelligible, you're a lousy singer. Getting the lyric across is a huge component to singing.

I think the more prevalent opinion is you shitting on prog deities on a prog forum. Devin, Arch, and the list goes on and on.

Nos

Post by Nos » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:11 pm

Harvester wrote:
Nos wrote:God I hate his voice so much. I think I made out one of every three words he was trying to sing.

I think the more prevalent opinion is you shitting on prog deities on a prog forum. Devin, Arch, and the list goes on and on.
I've also said Soen is my current #1 this year, and I really liked the DT album. Both are... *gasp* prog!

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:24 pm

I also cannot tolerate John Arch. Usually, this is when I inject an insulting simile/metaphor about his voice and its effects on my ear canal but I'll refrain as my opinion is already well known. However, this particular song is the least offensive song of his to my ears.

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Hell yes, thanks for sharing. Loving this. I can't imagine this disk not being at the top of my annual list whenever it's finally released.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Awesome!!! Can't wait!!! 8)

Seeing a tentative May 10th release date?
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 pm

T'ski wrote:Jim playing heavy again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_GaUlUEsc
The song is great in itself, and obviously Arch is amazing, no matter what Nos says!

However, the production sounds really messy - I thought it was the YouTube first, but the iTunes version is just as messy and also really really low sounding - it's almost impossible to get a clear picture of what's going on without having to turn up the sound very loud at which point it ruins whichever song you've got playing next.

I'm quite disappointed about that actually :(
Claus Jensen

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Redacted to prevent unessesary drama
Last edited by Chris R on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Breaking news
I actually really like this

Matheos going extremely heavy,way out of the box for him.
And his voice for a change not only doesn't annoy me,but actually sounds great in this song,no over singing,and his tone sounds a bit mature in that he doesnt have that nasally/shrill sound that kills it for me

Definitely the surprise of the year for me in a good way
Tarja is a female woman

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:06 pm

I wonder if Matheos and I just hear “production” differently ... I remember that the last Fates Warning live album bothered me like heck as well production-wise.
Last edited by introclaus on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 pm

introclaus wrote:
T'ski wrote:Jim playing heavy again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_GaUlUEsc
The song is great in itself, and obviously Arch is amazing, no matter what Nos says!

However, the production sounds really messy - I thought it was the YouTube first, but the iTunes version is just as messy and also really really low sounding - it's almost impossible to get a clear picture of what's going on without having to turn up the sound very loud at which point it ruins whichever song you've got playing next.

I'm quite disappointed about that actually :(

Might actually be because of the amp/guitar tone to be honest.
He has been using Boogie Rectifiers since I "think" "A Twist of Fate",which is why his sound has been much heavier since the first Matheos/Arch disk.
Those are amps that can produce unbelievably heavy tones but are also very naturally "mushy" sounding (as opposed to Dream Theater where John doe the most part uses Mark series boogies and they get a tighter more focused sound)
There are ways you can tighten a rectifier up(a tube screamer in front will do this easily),and he had up until this song controlled "the beast"
Giving this a second listen I hear what you hear, a very "messy" mix and it sounds like Jim was playing licks that needed a tighter tone but for some reason he wanted to unleash the kraken with a very heavy song.
Its not a deal breaker for me as I'm used to the bad production we all had to endure in the 90s from anything' remotely prog
But I'm surprised this was released this way
Tarja is a female woman

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:03 pm

So happy to see these guys still putting out great new music together. Love it!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Tom C

Post by Tom C » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Really looking forward to this.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:44 am

I love the single!! Arch uses his voice like an instrument, so it doesn't bother me that I can't understand much of what he says. It's kind of like Adam says, he weaves his voice around the music, and it takes on a life of its own. So far I've loved everything Arch has ever done........

elendil

Post by elendil » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:14 pm

I guess I'm down with the Kraken because I dug this, even though the main theme is a little simple. John's voice has held up amazingly well over the years. I understand why people don't like him, but I do. I've always enjoyed a distinctive, trebly style of vocal, even in death metal - I'll take a Jeff Walker (Carcass) over a guttural growler any day.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 pm

elendil wrote:I guess I'm down with the Kraken because I dug this, even though the main theme is a little simple. John's voice has held up amazingly well over the years. I understand why people don't like him, but I do. I've always enjoyed a distinctive, trebly style of vocal, even in death metal - I'll take a Jeff Walker (Carcass) over a guttural growler any day.
The Carcass style death vox are my fave as well(In Flames-Colony,Mercenary-11 Dreams )
Also because I can actually do that kind of death vox of needed (spoiler alert for a future recording project that might interest a few on here )
Tarja is a female woman

AllMediaReviews

Post by AllMediaReviews » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:16 am

love the fuck out of this new tune. So punchy and emotional.

I don't hear any production or mixing issues at all.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 am

AllMediaReviews wrote:love the fuck out of this new tune. So punchy and emotional.

It's not a major issue,the guitar tone to my ears could have been a bit tighter for the style of song this is for me,it doesn't take away from the song in so much that if the tone was controlled a bit more the song could have been razor tight .....
Then again I play through Mark series Mesa boogies because I love the Master of Puppets tone and have tried to use something like this on my own recordings ....
Tarja is a female woman

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:59 pm

AllMediaReviews wrote:love the fuck out of this new tune. So punchy and emotional.

I agree about the punchy and emotional. Arch is definitely an acquired taste and not for everyone, much like Tori Amos and Kate Bush(2 of my favorite non-metal singers). But the talent is still amazing

elendil

Post by elendil » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:28 am

Chris R wrote: The Carcass style death vox are my fave as well(In Flames-Colony,Mercenary-11 Dreams )
Also because I can actually do that kind of death vox of needed (spoiler alert for a future recording project that might interest a few on here )
Seems as if it would be less stressful on the throat, no? Probably varies by person...

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:28 pm

elendil wrote:
Chris R wrote: The Carcass style death vox are my fave as well(In Flames-Colony,Mercenary-11 Dreams )
Seems as if it would be less stressful on the throat, no? Probably varies by person...
Depends
I can get that style of box by whispering very loudly with a little gruff..
Add a lot of volume to the mic and get some natural distortion and there you go
Tarja is a female woman

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:16 pm

It's available for pre-order in various physical & digital formats here:
https://www.metalblade.com/archmatheos/

Already ordered mine from Bandcamp.

elendil

Post by elendil » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:40 pm

Chris R wrote: Depends
I can get that style of box by whispering very loudly with a little gruff..
Add a lot of volume to the mic and get some natural distortion and there you go
That's what I was thinking. Walker for instance often sounded almost like a gruff whisper.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:44 pm

God I hate his voice so much. I think I made out one of every three words he was trying to sing.

There's a lot of very highly regarded classically trained singers that would likely take strong exception to this..... That being said, I certainly understand why a lot of people don't care for Arch's vocals. They are definitely an acquired taste.......
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:32 am

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Fri May 10, 2019 5:18 pm

For those on the fence..new song that clinches it for me that I'm going to love this disk

https://youtu.be/7ANTKF6BkrY

Opinions
1.This at times sounds like Marillion and in the best possible way,especially the beginning and also how Matheos uses his guitar in a Tesseract style to make it sound more atmospheric without keys..
One of the best songs he has written in years

2.Arch's voice has matured bigtime with age,and for him this is a really good thing.
Up until now it had a very annoying abrasive tone that kinds was a reason music involving his voice was not listenable
Every song so far he sounds much more smooth,no abrasiveness,a bit fuller and deeper,while still sounding like him
This song everything fits perfectly
Tarja is a female woman

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri May 10, 2019 5:34 pm

I swear that Apple decided to screw me over after my comment further up in this thread about how the first single sounded like crap, because my preorder of the album has been sitting as an unfinished download in iTunes all day no matter how many times I’ve tried to log out and back in. I might have to call them ... ugh!

Not that it’s that big a deal since I’ve been listening to Port Noir all day anyway ;)
Claus Jensen

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Mon May 13, 2019 2:12 pm

My pre-order from Bandcamp dropped on Friday. I just finished my second listen and this is outstanding. Very similar in style to the first one which I consider a masterpiece. I think the new one is going to end up being just as good as the previous one. This will definitely be at the top of my year end list this year. There hasn't been a lot else that really excited me so far this year, so glad one finally came along that did that.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 am

This one feels like it's being overlooked a bit...... Darkwater has been getting all the love, but this (to me) is a potential disc of the year contender. It's complex as hell, and contains probably more lyrics / vocals than any single album should..... Arch is just ALL OVER IT, with only minor breaks for instrumental noodling...... Not to say there isn't a lot going on musically in the background, but Arch's vocals definitely own the show here. It's definitely an album that takes several spins to absorb, and really only has a couple of tracks with any immediacy..... The rest need to be digested several times to appreciate.

While it still isn't at the same peak as the initial "Twist of Fate" EP, this is a very close second.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:52 am

a potential disc of the year contender

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if it ends up my #1. It gets better and better with each listen.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:50 pm

You guys almost have me convinced to make this purchase...almost. I'm on vacation starting Saturday so maybe I pick this up for some Summer cursory listening?

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:44 pm

You guys almost have me convinced to make this purchase...almost. I'm on vacation starting Saturday so maybe I pick this up for some Summer cursory listening?
Yeah, um, just a suggestion..... This album is definitely NOT one for "summer cursory listening". You'll think we are all high if you just throw this on in the background......

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:55 pm

I was being unnecessarily flippant as I've never owned a single disc he has sang on. I'll give it it's due and a shot to win me over. I'll be on the road a bit next weekend and will play in the car. I'm now committed so here goes...