Enchant: Please guide me

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

Enchant: Please guide me

Post by GaetanL » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:41 pm

I bought the box set that contains all the albums...

This is not exactly this but just to give you an idea how I currently feel about the band. I think I need some guidelines where to put my effort... I have almost surrender...

I play the first album "Blueprint Of The World", I like some tracks, but I'm not sure about the whole album.
I listen to the following albums "Wounded", "Time Lost", "Break", "Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10", I'm having a hard time getting into them...
Then came "Blink Of An Eye", this is more melodic, better songwriting I think, I say to myself this is the album I like the most so far... First two songs are really good, but then, I'm not sure about the whole album...
Then I don't remember well the following albums "Tug Of War" and "The Great Divide".
Tonight I'm not sure if I will listen to Enchant... Where should I put my effort?
Style wise this is for me for sure. But I'm not sure about the songwriting quality and haven't found so far many magic melodies...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

AllMediaReviews

Re: Enchant: Please guide me

Post by AllMediaReviews » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:27 am

listen to the drum work specifically on Juggling 9.

Some of Paul Craddick's best work.

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 am

I have every Enchant album, so here's a short opinion post.

If you want melody and accessibility, the three post-Craddick albums are stronger generally. Craddick was a very busy and jazzy drummer, Flanegan is rock groove. Blueprint is a great disc, but it does tend to be a little bit too busy and difficult to appreciate. Time Lost is excellent. Wounded I didn't care for much besides a few of the songs. Break is excellent but very dark and difficult to access. Juggling 9 has a few really good tunes but feels relatively forgettable in other places.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:15 pm

The best advice I can give is to purchase the live DVD. They have a great mix of songs from all their albums, and getting them in a live setting presents the tone for the songs. I absolutely adore Blueprint, but the production is horrendous. Had that been better it would be a top ten alltime disc for me. Enchant is one of those bands where I find three or four fantastic songs per album and I make a playlist of those.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:11 pm

To me Blueprint is essential in the neoprog scene.
Wounded is OK..some highlights
Tarja is a female woman

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:14 pm

Chris R wrote:To me Blueprint is essential in the neoprog scene.
Yup - it’s a masterpiece within the genre!
Claus Jensen

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 pm

introclaus wrote:
I'm pretty sure Steve Rothery produced this,I know he played on one song..
Tarja is a female woman

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Chris R wrote:
introclaus wrote:
I'm pretty sure Steve Rothery produced this,I know he played on one song..
He produced half of it and Paul Schmidt (whoever that is?) the other half..
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:02 am

Tonight I revisited Blue Print. This album worth it. Thanks, I did not surrender on this band... I will give more listen to this album and the others...
But I think the last 4 tracks on this album are a bit weak compare to the first 6. Maybe that's why the last time I left with not a so great feeling about it...
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:40 am

Gaetan --

I'll agree with Random Axe in that you get some fantastic songs from each disc and make a full disc of greats....... I never had the patience to do that, so I too gave up on the band many moons ago ...... You are right about Blueprint - it's their signature disc, but it gets weaker as it goes....... sometimes it's the other way around depending on what disc you are listening to ......

In a live setting - well that's on another level - but on disc, you are on track ......

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 am

[qyote]

In a live setting - well that's on another level - but on disc, you are on track ......[/quote]
Their set at PregPower(the Thursday show)was awesome
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 am

Chris R wrote:

In a live setting - well that's on another level - but on disc, you are on track ......
Their set at PregPower(the Thursday show)was awesome
Tarja is a female woman

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:07 pm

LarryD wrote:Gaetan --

I'll agree with Random Axe in that you get some fantastic songs from each disc and make a full disc of greats....... I never had the patience to do that, so I too gave up on the band many moons ago ...... You are right about Blueprint - it's their signature disc, but it gets weaker as it goes....... sometimes it's the other way around depending on what disc you are listening to ......

I always thought Enchant had a couple really great songs per album and then the rest were sleep-inducing. At some point I did exactly what you say above; I made a *killer* Enchant compilation from those one or two songs per disc (and I seem to recall an Enchant side-project called Xen that was also on there). I should dig that up and remind myself of their occasional potential. I did really enjoy their PP set, though....great live band.
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:00 pm

This is my current Enchant playlist. Not necessarily the best but are my personal favs from them

Under Fire
The Thirst
Oasis
What to Say
Juggling Knives
Black Eyes Broken Glass
Paint the Picture
Catharsis
At Death's Door
Pure
Fade 2 Grey
What To Say
Blindsided
Colors Fade

There's some acoustic versions I guess available on the new box set that were previously on the InsideOut re-releases, maybe some different ones. Reading this thread makes me want to order that set now...

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Random Axe wrote:This is my current Enchant playlist. Not necessarily the best but are my personal favs from them

Under Fire
The Thirst
Oasis
What to Say
Juggling Knives
Black Eyes Broken Glass
Paint the Picture
Catharsis
At Death's Door
Pure
Fade 2 Grey
What To Say
Blindsided
Colors Fade

There's some acoustic versions I guess available on the new box set that were previously on the InsideOut re-releases, maybe some different ones. Reading this thread makes me want to order that set now...
I'll have to find my comp and post the tracklist; I know Juggling Knives and Fade 2 Grey are on there. You're missing what I think is by far their best song, "My Enemy".
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Random Axe wrote:There's some acoustic versions I guess available on the new box set that were previously on the InsideOut re-releases, maybe some different ones.
Bonus disc 1 of the box set is exactly the same disc included in the special edition of Blueprint. (Demos 1989-1992). I know because my software recognized the disc as that (same disc ID).
Bonus disc 2 of the box set is everything else already released on other special editions, japanese editions, etc. I don't think there is previously unreleased material.

For me it was a perfect timing because I didn't have any Enchant albums.
Gaétan

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 pm

I really only liked "Break" and "Juggling 9 or Dropping 10". I think I tried Wounded once and thought it was a mess. We're talking over 20 years ago, though, so who knows if I'd have the same opinion now.

I'd forgotten about this band. I think I'm do for a revisit...