Socionic - Dividing Horizon (2015)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Came across this band from Los Angeles as I was searching on Spotify for "Dividing Horizons" mentioned in "The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread"...no luck btw...but this cool album cover showed up instead.

Gave it a whirl and it's really good stuff. Not at all technical, but heavy with solid clean vocals and great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51J1b1UtNtw

I read more about them and there a was mention of similarities to the band Tool. I know of Tool but have never listened to them so I can't confirm.

p.s. If this is similar to Tool maybe I'll like them also. Any recommendations where to start?
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

Random Axe

Re: Socionic - Dividing Horizon (2015)

Post by Random Axe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:51 pm

I have no experience with Tool other than cursory listens, so I'm not sure how similar this is but I do like what I heard.

devomeister

Post by devomeister » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:37 pm

There's some Tool influence with these guys (which can be said for a lot of bands), but they don't really sound like Tool to me. It is a really good album. Was in my top 10-15 or whatever a few years ago.

For Tool, Lateralus is a masterpiece. Their other albums all have some incredible tracks (46&2 and Vicarious immediately come to mind) and some meh stuff, but Lateralus is top-to-bottom one of the best prog albums ever written.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:59 pm

devomeister wrote:For Tool, Lateralus is a masterpiece.
Thanks for the tip I will check out Lateralus.
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:02 pm

devomeister wrote: For Tool, Lateralus is a masterpiece. Their other albums all have some incredible tracks (46&2 and Vicarious immediately come to mind) and some meh stuff, but Lateralus is top-to-bottom one of the best prog albums ever written.
I’ve tried with Tool so many times and I just can’t get on board with them ... I love a lot of the bands that are inspired by them but I hear nothing in Tool that I personally like. I don’t know what’s causing it. Heck, I just listened to Lateralus and all the while it was playing I was thinking about when it would end, lol
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 pm

devomeister wrote:There's some Tool influence with these guys (which can be said for a lot of bands), but they don't really sound like Tool to me. It is a really good album. Was in my top 10-15 or whatever a few years ago.

For Tool, Lateralus is a masterpiece. Their other albums all have some incredible tracks (46&2 and Vicarious immediately come to mind) and some meh stuff, but Lateralus is top-to-bottom one of the best prog albums ever written.
Agree with this. Sadly, Maynard is a rapey creep, which dents my enjoyment of the good stuff they've done pretty seriously.