Nightwish Storytime DVD

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

Nightwish Storytime DVD

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Man, I'm a bit behind, but I finally got around to getting this Nightwish Storytime DVD, the 2013 waken performance. I have tons of DVDs, and this is probably a top 5 dvd for me in terms of a complete show and musicianship, etc...... Floor is just absolutely amazing!! The main reason I bought it is I saw so many people reacting to "Ghost Love Score" on you tube, and that song just blows me away every time I hear it. I just had to get the DVD and it didn't disappoint, that's for sure! What'a an amazingly fun, energetic, talented and fun performance.....Can't say enough about this show........

And for the record, I hate reaction videos! lol

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Nightwish Storytime DVD

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 am

1 - Yes, totally agree that the reaction videos DO suck. Partly I just lament that these folks are making cash doing this, when back in the day had we recorded OUR reactions the first time hearing Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Angra, etc it would have been even better.

2 - Good DVD for sure; what I like about this one is that the material from "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" comes off much stronger live than on the studio album. I went back after watching this DVD thinking perhaps I missed something, but no.... It's just that live these songs hold together better.

And yes, Floor is AMAZING here.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51 am

Reaction videos don't interest me at all. The worst are the ones that bank on who the reacting person is, like "Instrument teacher reacts to [band's song]". It's such a thinly disguised advertisement for themselves. Sure they're free to make those videos; I'm just not interested in clicking on it.

Anyway, I like the Nightwish DVDs with Floor, but I still have not been able to see them live with her! Arrrgh. I'm old enough to have seen then with Tarja though, about one year before the split, so I was lucky to see something a lot of younger kids missed.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am

While the show itself is amazing - I have a hard time with Floor screaming lots of her parts vs singing them ....... I know they don't want her to sound like Tarja, but I think screaming those operatic parts, while admirable, just tend to grate on me after awhile, and I love Floor's voice ....... If you can do the operatic style, do it - that's how the songs were written .........

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:52 am

LarryD wrote:While the show itself is amazing - I have a hard time with Floor screaming lots of her parts vs singing them ....... I know they don't want her to sound like Tarja, but I think screaming those operatic parts, while admirable, just tend to grate on me after awhile, and I love Floor's voice ....... If you can do the operatic style, do it - that's how the songs were written .........

Hmm, I guess I must have missed that Larry, or maybe it's because I haven't listened to Tarja songs in about 15 years, so I probably forgot what they sounded like with her lol.... Is there any specific song or songs in mind? I think the favorite song I hear her cover is Ghost Love Score..........I actually liked her live version of that song better than the original Tarja version. Operatic female vocals have never appealed to me in metal much, so maybe that's why.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 am

Mark wrote:Reaction videos don't interest me at all. The worst are the ones that bank on who the reacting person is, like "Instrument teacher reacts to [band's song]". It's such a thinly disguised advertisement for themselves. Sure they're free to make those videos; I'm just not interested in clicking on it.

Anyway, I like the Nightwish DVDs with Floor, but I still have not been able to see them live with her! Arrrgh. I'm old enough to have seen then with Tarja though, about one year before the split, so I was lucky to see something a lot of younger kids missed.

Yea, I know what you mean, and most of the reaction videos are so fake too. I mean, how often do you see a reaction where they say, "I absolutely hated that song!". They almost always love every song they are reacting to. All they are seeing is the subscriber numbers increasing in their channel. They are afraid to say that they hated a song in fear of losing subscribers. I bet some of them that are reacting to metal, don't even like any metal at all. I don't know, that's just my opinion anyway.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:1 - Yes, totally agree that the reaction videos DO suck. Partly I just lament that these folks are making cash doing this, when back in the day had we recorded OUR reactions the first time hearing Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Angra, etc it would have been even better.

2 - Good DVD for sure; what I like about this one is that the material from "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" comes off much stronger live than on the studio album. I went back after watching this DVD thinking perhaps I missed something, but no.... It's just that live these songs hold together better.

This DVD came out in 2013, but EFMB came out in 2015, so no material from that album is one this release.
Floor is great yes, but I still prefer Tarja.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
1 - Yes, totally agree that the reaction videos DO suck. Partly I just lament that these folks are making cash doing this, when back in the day had we recorded OUR reactions the first time hearing Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Angra, etc it would have been even better.

This DVD came out in 2013, but EFMB came out in 2015, so no material from that album is one this release.
Floor is great yes, but I still prefer Tarja.
D'oh! Sorry! Was thinking of "Vehicle of Spirit" apparently...... I know I have "Showtime" also, but don't recall that one as much.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Another thing that amazed me on me on that stormytime DVD is just how many female Nightwish fans there are! Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many female fans in a the front row before, singing along to all of the lyrics............Very cool!