Port Noir - The New Routine

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Port Noir - The New Routine

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm so excited for this album - the first two singles are hitting me like a ten ton hammer! This band somehow encompasses everything I love about progressive music - it's heavy, it's different and it's so damn melodic. I don't even know how to describe the band within the prog metal scene, but there's something completely unique to them.

https://youtu.be/57iP20jBEh8
https://youtu.be/tZ6BiRnTol8

I'd be interested in seeing if there are anyone else here that likes these guys? Heck, even if you think this is pure crap, at least you gave it a listen and that's awesome :)
Claus Jensen

venidominefan

Re: Port Noir - The New Routine

Post by venidominefan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 pm

Checked them out and I do like them.

The newer stuff seems a lot less heavier than the older stuff that I tried on YouTube such as "Sun dé man". Not a bad thing that it's less heavy...just an observation.

Actually my favorite part so far is the drummer and then the vocals. Not sure what that means but just my first impressions.

Which older release is a good place to start? I'll check out the new one when it comes out in May also.
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 pm

Well, I played the 2 songs and I'm not impressed. Thought it was quite boring. Not for me at all....

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Hmm. Sounds a bit like Leprous with hints of Perturbator and some pseudo-rap thrown in. Interesting. I'm on the fence. I'm liking elements of it, but not quite at the point of "where has this been all my life". Should definitely appeal to folks here, though.

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 pm

I absolutely love these guys, and I'm digging the new stuff. Definitely a different direction for them; I feel it could hit well in the States. Hoping for a tour here.
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:47 pm

I’m hearing a ton of “sabotage” era Beastie Boys in it which is so “funny” in regards to a prog metal band ... I also hear some Leprous, definitely some Katatonia in their earlier stuff, some djent parts here and there, a bit of Muse and just a lot of own originality (or probably influences from genres I know absolutely nothing about).
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Guillaume wrote:Well, I played the 2 songs and I'm not impressed. Thought it was quite boring. Not for me at all....
Hey, you gave it a shot which is all I can ask ... I knew this wasn’t for you but kudos for trying me out bro!
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:50 pm

venidominefan wrote:Checked them out and I do like them.

The newer stuff seems a lot less heavier than the older stuff that I tried on YouTube such as "Sun dé man". Not a bad thing that it's less heavy...just an observation.

Actually my favorite part so far is the drummer and then the vocals. Not sure what that means but just my first impressions.

Which older release is a good place to start? I'll check out the new one when it comes out in May also.
Since they only have two full length albums so far just get them both :) they are really different from each other (debut has plenty of songs like “sun de man” whereas the second is darker and more unique
Claus Jensen

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:56 pm

introclaus wrote:

Since they only have two full length albums so far just get them both :) they are really different from each other (debut has plenty of songs like “sun de man” whereas the second is darker and more unique
And the Neon EP is aces. Actually, I think Neon and Any Way the Wind Carries are both stellar. Puls, while good, doesn't grab me the same way.
-MG

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 pm

MitchG wrote:
introclaus wrote:

And the Neon EP is aces. Actually, I think Neon and Any Way the Wind Carries are both stellar. Puls, while good, doesn't grab me the same way.
“Neon” is absolutely incredible but also their most diverse - from 80’s disco, to introvert prog rock, to Meshuggah djent to some kind of Faith No More meets Tool’ism ... absolutely incredible diversity within those 4 songs and in retrospect so interesting that it came out BEFORE “Any way...” as I think it’s closer in sound (the 80’s/90’s throwback) to the two new songs.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:04 pm

I knew this wasn't for me out of the starting gate....... and I had no business clicking on one of the links. But I've got some time at the moment, and thought I'd poke around the board and see if I needed to catch up on anything I'd missed ........ I did click on the first link ......... I knew this wasn't for me - I had no business doing that....... however, you described it perfectly........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:52 pm

LarryD wrote:I knew this wasn't for me out of the starting gate....... and I had no business clicking on one of the links. But I've got some time at the moment, and thought I'd poke around the board and see if I needed to catch up on anything I'd missed ........ I did click on the first link ......... I knew this wasn't for me - I had no business doing that....... however, you described it perfectly........
ROTFLMAO ... that's just too funny ... thanks for playing along ;)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:20 pm

The new single, "CHAMPAGNE", is freakin' awesome:
https://youtu.be/thi2YpAhKgw
Claus Jensen

ToddinMN

Post by ToddinMN » Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am

I'm not sure why, but I kept listening to Young Bloods. And it just kept growing on me. So did Champagne. I just spun the entire album for the first time this morning and it is so darn good!

This normally wouldn't be my thing, but for some reason, which I still can't pinpoint, it is kicking my butt! Thanks to Claus for pimping this!!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 pm

ToddinMN wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am
I'm not sure why, but I kept listening to Young Bloods. And it just kept growing on me. So did Champagne. I just spun the entire album for the first time this morning and it is so darn good!

This normally wouldn't be my thing, but for some reason, which I still can't pinpoint, it is kicking my butt! Thanks to Claus for pimping this!!
Todd
So glad to hear you like it.
It’s kicking my butt as well. Lol
I ended up buying the iTunes version, the CD and the vinyl (which also came with the CD).
Album of the year so far. It’s prog metal but not “prog metal” ;)
C.
Claus Jensen

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 pm

I'll need to give it some more spins obviously, but I'm a little lukewarm on first listen. I loved "Old Fashioned", but it seems like "Flawless" is practically a carbon copy. That's the problem I'm having on first blush: everything on it sounds the same. I like the electronica touches that they were introducing in "Old Fashioned", but I'm a little afraid they've integrated too much of that peppiness throughout the album. Hopefully some more time with this will prove me wrong.

I see they are going out on tour w/ Leprous in Europe....that's a show I'd like to see here in the States!
-MG

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon May 13, 2019 5:42 pm

MitchG wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 pm
I'll need to give it some more spins obviously, but I'm a little lukewarm on first listen. I loved "Old Fashioned", but it seems like "Flawless" is practically a carbon copy. That's the problem I'm having on first blush: everything on it sounds the same. I like the electronica touches that they were introducing in "Old Fashioned", but I'm a little afraid they've integrated too much of that peppiness throughout the album. Hopefully some more time with this will prove me wrong.

I see they are going out on tour w/ Leprous in Europe....that's a show I'd like to see here in the States!
“Flawless” while a great song, seemed like a strange choice for a single - yes, it’s somewhat close to “Old Fashioned” ... won’t argue w that.

I think songs like “Champagne”, “Define Us”, “13”, “Low lights” and especially “Blow” are much better.

At this point in time I’m having a hard time imagining any album this year I’ll like more than this.
Claus Jensen

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Fri May 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Just an update to say that I'm now all-in on this album. Yeah, there's some repetition in structure/melody on a couple songs, a blatant Beastie Boys homage/rip-off, and a clear aim at conquering the charts rather than paddling in the Katatonia and Tool-lite waters their earlier (and awesome) material resided. But there's no denying it's fun to listen to, so I'll gladly listen to this album repeatedly until they become too big and I decide they aren't cool anymore. :)
-MG

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri May 17, 2019 8:13 pm

MitchG wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:14 pm
Just an update to say that I'm now all-in on this album. Yeah, there's some repetition in structure/melody on a couple songs, a blatant Beastie Boys homage/rip-off, and a clear aim at conquering the charts rather than paddling in the Katatonia and Tool-lite waters their earlier (and awesome) material resided. But there's no denying it's fun to listen to, so I'll gladly listen to this album repeatedly until they become too big and I decide they aren't cool anymore. :)
Hehe, yup, the Beastie Boys influence definitely there, but it's obviously done as an homage and not a "rip-off".

This might sound really corny, but I actually also hear a bit of Duran Duran in Port Noir - perhaps more in the way they sound more "mature" and "focused" now, like when DD went from being an archtypical New Wave pop band, to a more sophisticated pop band in their mid/late 80's period (Notorious, Big Thing). It alienated some fans for sure, but it also gave them some more "credibility" as a real musicianship based group (something already hinted at with the Arcadia side project) rather than just a typical new wave pop band. Yes, Port Noir is obviously metal based and way more technical than Duran Duran, but for some reason I get that same feeling here - a big focus on melody, some clear hints towards the various bands that inspired them over time (which is often a good way to attract a new audience), but with lots of own identity and even some, for the genre, experimentation.

You're totally right about the Katatonia and Tool inspiration being more or less gone - I don't think anyone coming in to the band for the first time on this album would ever guess that either of those two bands were large parts of Port Noir's earlier sound.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:39 am

I must have listened to this album a hundred times by now - there's absolutely nothing that comes remotely close to this as far as album of the year for me. It's just far and above anything else I've heard all year. I know this won't be music that sits well with most around here. It's not "prog metal" (the genre) and it's definitely not "power metal" (the genre) either, but it is full of incredible melodies, musicianship and a vision that goes above and beyond what I had hoped for from these guys. Three albums in, and they are by far my favorite band in the world.
Claus Jensen

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:44 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:39 am
I must have listened to this album a hundred times by now - there's absolutely nothing that comes remotely close to this as far as album of the year for me. It's just far and above anything else I've heard all year. I know this won't be music that sits well with most around here. It's not "prog metal" (the genre) and it's definitely not "power metal" (the genre) either, but it is full of incredible melodies, musicianship and a vision that goes above and beyond what I had hoped for from these guys. Three albums in, and they are by far my favorite band in the world.
Have you had, or will you have, the chance to see them live? I'm very curious to hear how they are as a live band. I'm not anticipating that they'll be in the US anytime soon.
-MG

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 pm

MitchG wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:44 pm
introclaus wrote:
Have you had, or will you have, the chance to see them live? I'm very curious to hear how they are as a live band. I'm not anticipating that they'll be in the US anytime soon.
Unfortunately not. It’s been 11 years since I moved away from Europe, so my concert going has taken quite a hit since then. There just isn’t that much exciting stuff coming around my area (or if there are I just don’t know about it hah), Raleigh NC. There’s a 30 minute show on YouTube of them playing from their first album but it’s not very good quality and I don’t think they had much live experience back then either.
Claus Jensen

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:13 pm

introclaus wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 pm
MitchG wrote:
introclaus wrote:
Unfortunately not. It’s been 11 years since I moved away from Europe, so my concert going has taken quite a hit since then. There just isn’t that much exciting stuff coming around my area (or if there are I just don’t know about it hah), Raleigh NC. There’s a 30 minute show on YouTube of them playing from their first album but it’s not very good quality and I don’t think they had much live experience back then either.
Grab the Bandsintown and Songkick apps to find out when shows come to your area.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 pm

Digital Man wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:13 pm
introclaus wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 pm
MitchG wrote:

Grab the Bandsintown and Songkick apps to find out when shows come to your area.
Yup, have both.

I think it might also be the fact that I’ve seen most of what I’ve wanted to see over the years and it takes either something very special or it’s gonna be an “event with friends” to get me to go to a show nowadays. In the last year I’ve only gone to three shows: Leprous (because I love that band ... well musically at least), Metallica (because they always put on a great show and it’s my “musical teenage years”) and Bon Jovi (because it was a thing to do with friends). I am planning on going to Sanctuary / Ghost Ship Octavius next week though.
Claus Jensen

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm

I definitely like the album and it keeps growing on me with repeated listens. The band has an economical way of playing just what they need to play for the song which is cool.

Did you ever listen to the band Pound? Not sure why but when I listen to Port Noir I’m reminded of Pound.
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:28 pm

venidominefan wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm
I definitely like the album and it keeps growing on me with repeated listens. The band has an economical way of playing just what they need to play for the song which is cool.

Did you ever listen to the band Pound? Not sure why but when I listen to Port Noir I’m reminded of Pound.
Pound: seems like there is a current US grindcore/industrial band of that name, then there were an “older” US kind of rock/singer-songwriter/pop-grunge band by that name, as well as a somewhat current (2012-13) Swedish alternative rock band called Pound. I checked out all of them and I’m assuming it’s the Swedish one you’re referring to? I don’t necessarily hear any Port Noir resemblances but it’s not bad at all ... I’ll listen more :)
Claus Jensen

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Yes, the band from Sweden! Sorry I didn’t provide a link before.

Pound - Stardust, Lies & Holy Water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcSATPcejh4

Not sure what it is about Port Noir that reminds me of Pound. I thought it was the vocals but not so sure now. I know it’s weird but whenever I play the Port Noir for some reason I want to listen to Pound.
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:01 pm

venidominefan wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 pm
Yes, the band from Sweden! Sorry I didn’t provide a link before.

Pound - Stardust, Lies & Holy Water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcSATPcejh4

Not sure what it is about Port Noir that reminds me of Pound. I thought it was the vocals but not so sure now. I know it’s weird but whenever I play the Port Noir for some reason I want to listen to Pound.
I like it but don’t hear the Port Noir sound though.
It reminds me of a more hard rock (less goth pop) version of The Rasmus. Interesting that Tony Harnell produced the album.
Claus Jensen

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 pm

introclaus wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:01 pm

I like it but don’t hear the Port Noir sound though.
It reminds me of a more hard rock (less goth pop) version of The Rasmus. Interesting that Tony Harnell produced the album.
I forgot about the Tony Harnell connection...if I remember correctly Tony also did backing vocals on that first Pound disc. If you ever heard Tony’s Cinematic EP one of the guys from Pound co-wrote some of that material and also played guitar.

Tony Harnell - Cinematic EP
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... pTTFFlurO-

I’ll check out The Rasmus.
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Wow, this has surprised me - a bit like Larry, I didn't think this would be my kinda thing...but wow, I was wrong. And I don't mind admitting it either! Some killer hooks & melodies here & it just works.

As always, I have more to say! https://manofmuchmetal.com/2019/11/08/p ... um-review/
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Nothing even remotely close to this album in 2019 for me. By far the best album of the year and probably of entire decade... I ended up buying it multiple times (iTunes, Amazon music, CD, vinyl, and a few times as gifts for friends + I bought the shirt, created an iPhone cover and a pop socket with the artwork :D ). Major fan boy!
Claus Jensen

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:22 am

introclaus wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm
Nothing even remotely close to this album in 2019 for me. By far the best album of the year and probably of entire decade... I ended up buying it multiple times (iTunes, Amazon music, CD, vinyl, and a few times as gifts for friends + I bought the shirt, created an iPhone cover and a pop socket with the artwork :D ). Major fan boy!
...but the artwork is rubbish! :wink: :lol:
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:48 pm

Sounds like the band Chevelle to me. I'll keep listening but so far I'm glad I haven't hit the purchase button yet. Next I'll try Mother of Millions.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm

RickyRock wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:48 pm
Sounds like the band Chevelle to me. I'll keep listening but so far I'm glad I haven't hit the purchase button yet.
I’ve seen others mention Chevelle in regards to Port Noir. Tell me about them please:)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:06 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm
RickyRock wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:48 pm
Sounds like the band Chevelle to me. I'll keep listening but so far I'm glad I haven't hit the purchase button yet.
I’ve seen others mention Chevelle in regards to Port Noir. Tell me about them please:)
Actually, never mind... I spent two hours on Spotify listening to various songs from them and didn’t like it at all. It’s like “Tool-lite goes nu metal”. I think that Port Noir share some of the same original Tool influences, but mostly that’s gone by now.

I really think this band is so hard to pigeon hole and that's part of the charm. Yes, there's some hip hop influence (Beastie Boys), some electro funk (Daft Punk), some grease metal (I've seen people mentioning Rage Against the Machine) and there's still all the eclectic prog influences in there. It's definitely not a band for everyone.
Claus Jensen