Avalanch - The Secret

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Guillaume

Avalanch - The Secret

Post by Guillaume » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am

There is absolutely no talk about this new album by the veteran metallers from Spain.

They have powerhouse Mike Terrana on drums since a few years and also now release their albums both in Spanish and in English.
Jorge Salan (also with the SOTO band) is on guitars, Dirk Schlater (Gamma Ray) is now the bassist. They have a new singer, Israel Ramos, that is much cleaner than the previous dude I remember (Victor Garcia, now in Warcry).
The Secret is some excellent melodic power/prog metal stuff IMO, the production is powerful and Avalanch should get more recognition. And Avalanch would be a perfect fit for PP I think.

Check it out:

The Oracle video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFT3qYVCuA8

Caduceus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-nHz2L-1Rs&

Demiurgus
https://youtu.be/hat9Wbfd0aY

G

Guillaume

Re: Avalanch - The Secret

Post by Guillaume » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:43 am

Quite surprised by the lack of interest. This is quality stuff I play regularly since hearing it.

Claus didn't even complain about the vocals! :lol:

I might be completely out of phase vs the rest of the people here though. Happens often! :twisted:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Guillaume wrote:Quite surprised by the lack of interest. This is quality stuff I play regularly since hearing it.

I might be completely out of phase vs the rest of the people here though. Happens often! :twisted:
I’ll check it out later ;)
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks for the bump..... Meant to come back to this one and completely forgot.

I like this quite a bit. Reminds me of a heavier Dark Moor. Definitely will check out more.

Board has been a bit of a wasteland of late. I can't get over the lack of discussion on the new DT album after it dropped in full.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Thanks for the bump..... Meant to come back to this one and completely forgot.

I like this quite a bit. Reminds me of a heavier Dark Moor. Definitely will check out more.

Board has been a bit of a wasteland of late. I can't get over the lack of discussion on the new DT album after it dropped in full.
*** Yes I agree -- I'm not sure what's going on although I can speak for myself when I say it's been rough lately trying to settle in to my new digs here in South Carolina.....but I'm waiting to yak about the new DT and the new Evergrey, again which I'm baffled about the lack of yak.......

Darkwater will not stop playing here - and now the Wilson / Wakeman disc is taking over my system .............

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Avalanch was pretty cool ---- but no wow factor ..... reminded me of a poor man's Serenity ? Good singer - Mike Terrana seems out of place there....... keep in mid-paced and they do well ---- speed it up and happy choruses, and you lose me .......

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:34 pm

I've gone through all three songs and thought all of them were solid. Definitely a Dark Moor / Serenity vibe..... Little more balls and chunk than either one. Any idea if there is a physical release planned? Not finding a lot of info anywhere.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:I've gone through all three songs and thought all of them were solid. Definitely a Dark Moor / Serenity vibe..... Little more balls and chunk than either one. Any idea if there is a physical release planned? Not finding a lot of info anywhere.
Spanish version seems available on CD, don't know about the English version...
http://www.musikaze.com/es/musica/grupo ... e=AVALANCH

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:19 am

Guillaume wrote:Quite surprised by the lack of interest. This is quality stuff I play regularly since hearing it.

I finally got around to check it out - it’s pretty basic power metal somewhere in the Freedom Call / Serenity style as people already mentioned. I realized I actually have their debut album (from back when I bought up anything released on Underground Symphony LOL). Musically it’s not bad at all but I didn’t hear anything that made me want to go back and revisit it again. Singer wasn’t bad, just not very loud (either due to mix or he just isn’t very powerful on his own).
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am

introclaus wrote:

I finally got around to check it out - it’s pretty basic power metal somewhere in the Freedom Call / Serenity style as people already mentioned. I realized I actually have their debut album (from back when I bought up anything released on Underground Symphony LOL). Musically it’s not bad at all but I didn’t hear anything that made me want to go back and revisit it again. Singer wasn’t bad, just not very loud (either due to mix or he just isn’t very powerful on his own).
Nothing happy like Freedom Call in Avalanch IMO! Never ever thought about that band while playing them. Serenity, yes, maybe.
Avalanch used to be "basic" power metal. On this album, music is more complex and they added some prog tendencies.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Nothing happy like Freedom Call in Avalanch IMO! Never ever thought about that band while playing them. Serenity, yes, maybe.
Avalanch used to be "basic" power metal. On this album, music is more complex and they added some prog tendencies.
LOL..... And better than the Frozen Crown tracks! :)

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Gotta agree with that. Much prefer this new Avalanch than the songs I heard from Frozen Crown.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 am

LarryD wrote:Avalanch was pretty cool ---- but no wow factor ..... reminded me of a poor man's Serenity ? Good singer - Mike Terrana seems out of place there....... keep in mid-paced and they do well ---- speed it up and happy choruses, and you lose me .......
Speed is not really a factor on this album.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:

Sorry, don’t know why I wrote Freedom Call, my mind was thinking Brainstorm actually ... anyway, it’s pretty basic sounding to me (not particularly proggy).
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Hah! :) It’s all a matter of personal taste - that FCrown disc is kicking my butt all over the place!
Claus Jensen