First order of the year from The Lasers Edge .....

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

First order of the year from The Lasers Edge .....

Post by LarryD » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Well, I think it is anyway ....... :wink: I've been in moving on down to South Carolina for the past month or two, and finally put together a small stereo system to play some music on ..... Alexa has been taking care of me in the meantime ....... I've got a CD player in the car as well, so I can play CDs there as well as here......so I couldn't wait to place an order finally, and here is what I ordered:

Dream Theater / Distance Over Time --
Call me crazy, and I'm a fan, but I didn't get as excited over the anticipation of this release as I have others listed here.....yet, I'm really looking forward to digging into it after reading all of the reviews and hearing the few songs that I did ..... Some are saying that it's the best DT disc of the Mangini era, so that excites me..... I am not burning out on DT, nowhere near that, I'm just a bit baffled that I'm excited over others moreso ...... (Myrath, Darkwater for starters) ......I'm sure the actual release will change this, as I like what I'm hearing so far.......

Wilson & Wakeman / Stripped -
No one ever talks about this duo ..... I surmise that it's much too light for most around here, but when I Damian Wilson goes acoustic, (ie, Maiden United) I go ballistic....and even though this duo is even lighter than M-United, to hear Damian sing in such an acoustic atmosphere gives me chills. Here, the stripped part means that they recorded "live" in the studio, and left the recording as is. So what they played originally, they released - a sort of " let's go in and do it once and release it " type thing..... a cool concept indeed. It's live, but it's not. Really looking forward to this one ..... anyone who loves Damian Wilson, but didn't get his solo DVD concert is missing out on something big time.....

Evergrey / The Atlantic -
I haven't been into a whole Evergrey disc in a long while - usually, I pull out songs from the past few discs and latch onto them moreso than the whole disc itself....here, I'm excited that I may be able to get back to a whole EG release and love it all ...... I'm sorry to read and learn that Tom had gone through such a rough personal time in his life to get this out - I almost feel like I'm gaining pleasure from someone else's misery, but I hope that I'm able to love this disc like I used to, and that maybe in some way it helps that people are really talking this up and enjoying it thereby at least making it all worth it for him .... the songs I've heard bring me back to old Evergrey, and hearing the emotion in Tom's voice tells me what I need to know.....

Darkwater / Human -
Lastly, THIS is what I'm looking forward to most of all.... a new Darkwater disc, finally !!!!! I love this band to death, and from what I'm hearing, they have kicked it up even another notch. Henrik Bath sounds awesome again on vocals, and the little I've heard makes me so excited for the whole disc. Call me old school, but I still love for this style of Prog Metal - which makes me miss Circus Maximus so much. Once this shows up in the mailbox - I'm on the couch with headphones and a glass of rum and going for the gusto ......

Looking forward to the MYrath, Voyager and others ........ musical life has been re-started !!!!!!

And why isn't anyone biting on Anneke's latest disc in front of a symphony orchestra ??? I didn't grab it, but plan to ..... has anyone heard this yet ?

GaetanL

Re: First order of the year from The Lasers Edge .....

Post by GaetanL » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 pm

We have 3 albums in common in my second Laser's Edge order of the Year:

Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (Digipak): Blind buy

Evergrey - The Atlantic (Digipak): I decided to go with the digipack. The artbook with the documentary is very expensive and there is extra shipping because it is massive. I don't have much room for these artbooks. If this Evergrey album is extraordinary, I may hunt the artbook and find a place. But I doubt it will happens. The last time I have been really excited with a Everygrey release is with "The Inner Circle" (2004).

Darkwater - Human: Blind buy

I also ordered:

Believe - Yesterday Is A Friend: Neo-prog band recommended on this board. I like Collage also from Poland. I'm starting with this one (based on comments on Laser's Edge Website). They add violin and flute. I like these instruments in rock. I played a bit on youtube before buying.

Queensrÿche - The Verdict (2CD Box Set): Blind buy

Saviour Machine - Saviour Machine: Recommended on this board in the Christian bands thread. I played on youtube before buying. In fact, I was the first to come up with the band name but didn't really know well the music or simply forget.

Vicious Head Society - Abject Tomorrow: Found on The Laser's Edge. I played a bit on Youtube before buying.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 am

Darkwater / Human -
They're all good for what they are. I find the Dream Theater to be the most enjoyable of them, myself. I suppose I get tired of Tom's drama by the time an entire album is finished. I prefer him in small doses.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Nos wrote:
Darkwater / Human -
They're all good for what they are. I find the Dream Theater to be the most enjoyable of them, myself. I suppose I get tired of Tom's drama by the time an entire album is finished. I prefer him in small doses.
*** I think many people would say that's what makes Evergrey so special - but that's for another post and time ....... :wink:

As far as being good for what they are - I'll take that at face value coming from a non-prog fan ......... I'm betting that at least 2 of the 3 are going to blow me away, if not all 3 ...... :D

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:26 pm

LarryD wrote: As far as being good for what they are - I'll take that at face value coming from a non-prog fan ......... I'm betting that at least 2 of the 3 are going to blow me away, if not all 3 ...... :D
I wasn't going to go down that road again, but I suppose I can.

I'm good with one, by not necessarily the other, or prog and Prog. I've never shied away from saying I'm not a big fan of overly technical music. I just don't find something like "The Dance Of Eternity" anywhere near as memorable as something like "Outcry". Impressive and interesting are different things.

The new DT and Darkwater records are both good. I find the Darkwater a bit too technical for me to want to listen to it a lot, though I do appreciate it. I'm much higher on the DT album. It has better balance, I suppose.
Last edited by Nos on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm

Nos wrote:
LarryD wrote: As far as being good for what they are - I'll take that at face value coming from a non-prog fan ......... I'm betting that at least 2 of the 3 are going to blow me away, if not all 3 ...... :D
I wasn't going to go down that road again, but I suppose I can.

I'm good with one, by not necessarily the other, or prog and Prog. I've never shied away from saying I'm not a big fan of overly technical music. I just don't find something like "The Dance Of Eternity" anywhere near as memorable as something like "Outcry". Impressive and interesting are different things.

The new DT and Darkwater records are both good. I find the Darkwater a bit too technical for me to want to listen to it a lot, though I do appreciate it. I'm mugh higher on the DT album (though not as much as the album from the 'other' DT last month!). It has better balance, I suppose.

*** No problem, I was only busting your chops ....... I am finding your words on the Darkwater being more technical than the DT a bit confusing and almost intriguing....now I'm really stoked to hear the Darkwater....... I haven't heard either in their entirety, but those are mighty words, and I'm more stoked about the DT now.....

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:56 pm

LarryD wrote: *** No problem, I was only busting your chops .......
I know you were.

And I didn't mean to type "other DT". It was supposed to say WT, but I'm an idiot and didn't proofread myself. Abbreviating gets me in trouble again!

dwhitt

Post by dwhitt » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:04 pm

LarryD wrote: I'm betting that at least 2 of the 3 are going to blow me away, if not all 3 ...... :D
I'll be surprised if you don't really like all 3 of these.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:45 am

Where did you find this one? I haven't been able to locate aside from Nuclear Blast EU, and the shipping charges were a killer.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Where did you find this one? I haven't been able to locate aside from Nuclear Blast EU, and the shipping charges were a killer.
As I said, it's in my second Laser's Edge order of the year. This item sold out and has been removed from the site. My order will ship when this item will be back in stock.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:48 am

I have to say the new DT & Darkwater have lived up to my expectations. They are dominating the current cd rotation for me along with the new Hollow - Between Eternities of Darkness cd which is really doing it for me as well (especially having better production than the previous ones). Also, I'm liking the new Queensryche. We'll see if holds up and can compete with these others?
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am

As I said, it's in my second Laser's Edge order of the year. This item sold out and has been removed from the site. My order will ship when this item will be back in stock.
Dang, never even saw that hit the site. Now I'm REALLY bummed.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Dang, never even saw that hit the site. Now I'm REALLY bummed.
Sold out in a day or two. It will be back in stock this week.

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:21 pm

I grabbed the DT, Darkwater, and Evergrey. May grab the Wilson Wakeman another time.

I also ordered Soen, and one or two more I’m forgetting.

Honestly I haven’t really liked an Evergrey release in a very long time. This one appears to have them back on track for me.

The Darkwater tracks I’ve heard are awesome.

The 3 released DT tracks are good, with Fall Into the Light being the best of those 3.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"