3 "big" new releases this week, but ...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

3 "big" new releases this week, but ...

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 am

I got the new Dream Theater (listened once), Overkill (listened twice) and Candlemass (listened twice) on Friday, however I also received the promo for an upcoming power metal album and it's been playing basically non stop since then; Frozen Crown.

I discussed the debut here with "keifling" a few months ago I think, and I wasn't expecting them to put out a second album this quickly and especially not one of such high quality, but this disc is kicking my butt in all the right places. This is POWER METAL the way it's supposed to be. This reminds me of the time when bands like Stratovarius, Edguy, Labyrinth, Helloween, etc. all were doing music that was worthwhile listening to.

First single is available here:
https://youtu.be/AvSOytdIr3s

Here's a couple of the videos from the debut:
https://youtu.be/ngfaDHBJRYM
https://youtu.be/BwHlqf0iWu0
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: 3 "big" new releases this week, but ...

Post by Mardoch » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:58 am

That's quite good. Very much pure strain power metal with no extra ornamentation.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Sorry Claus, but to put it bluntly, that was pretty ordinary.
I am a massive power metal junkie, Frozen Crown are nowhere near the legendary bands you compared them to.
They are not even second or third rate to my ears.
The riffs are nothing special, tempo not a lot of energy and then the vocals come in and totally kill it for me.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:47 pm

I discussed the debut here with "keifling" a few months ago I think, and I wasn't expecting them to put out a second album this quickly and especially not one of such high quality, but this disc is kicking my butt in all the right places. This is POWER METAL the way it's supposed to be. This reminds me of the time when bands like Stratovarius, Edguy, Labyrinth, Helloween, etc. all were doing music that was worthwhile listening to.
They are decent, but wouldn't put it anywhere near these in terms of quality. Catchy, fun, but still pretty much generic power metal. Interested to hear a few more to see what it is you love so much here.....

I do see a left handed female guitarist is involved, so that checks all sorts of boxes for obscure categories..... :)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:43 pm

gazinwales wrote:Sorry Claus, but to put it bluntly, that was pretty ordinary.
I am a massive power metal junkie, Frozen Crown are nowhere near the legendary bands you compared them to.
They are not even second or third rate to my ears.
The riffs are nothing special, tempo not a lot of energy and then the vocals come in and totally kill it for me.
That’s okay, we don’t have to like the same thing.

For me it’s the melodies that I think are just stunning - way better than anything I’ve heard in many years from any of the regular power metal bands (Avantasia, labyrinth, Stratovarius....) AND on top of it all they have three singers of which the clean male vocals are none other than the singer from one of my favorite bands so ... :)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
They are decent, but wouldn't put it anywhere near these in terms of quality. Catchy, fun, but still pretty much generic power metal. Interested to hear a few more to see what it is you love so much here.....

I do see a left handed female guitarist is involved, so that checks all sorts of boxes for obscure categories..... :)
Agreed - it’s generic but that’s cool ... it doesn’t need to be a negative word, it just means that they belong to a specific genre.

Yeah the female guitarist is cool and super hot!!!
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:10 pm

RE: Frozen Crown

I haven't gotten around to listening to the new album yet (it's in my inbox), but I wasn't impressed by the first one, or the first song I've heard from this one. It's not that it's generic, more that even for being generic I don't hear anything amazing about it. Everything I've heard is rather toothless.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Nos wrote:RE: Frozen Crown

I haven't gotten around to listening to the new album yet (it's in my inbox), but I wasn't impressed by the first one, or the first song I've heard from this one. It's not that it's generic, more that even for being generic I don't hear anything amazing about it. Everything I've heard is rather toothless.
Luckily your opinion (or anyone else’s) has no relevance when it comes to what I like. I can’t explain why I like this so much as I didn’t care enough about the debut to even count it among the top 75 of last year ... lol
There’s something about this new one that just appeal to me, and I might end up being the only one in the world who feels that way and so be it - all that matters is that I like it.
Claus Jensen

The Surfing Alien

Post by The Surfing Alien » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Sorry, I am not getting that feeling from the one song on Youtube you linked. maybe other songs are better? the best songs from first album were better IMHO. Also, I don't like the more stripped down sound as much here.
Do you like the new wave American power metal bands like Theocracy, Noble Beast, Lords of Trident? I think they do this style best these days.

btw, is the other band you are referring to Be the Wolf? I found it just yesterday from your list. Very cool stuff. May be the best pure hard rock from Italy I've ever heard.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:46 pm

The Surfing Alien wrote:Sorry, I am not getting that feeling from the one song on Youtube you linked. maybe other songs are better? the best songs from first album were better IMHO. Also, I don't like the more stripped down sound as much here.
Do you like the new wave American power metal bands like Theocracy, Noble Beast, Lords of Trident? I think they do this style best these days.

btw, is the other band you are referring to Be the Wolf? I found it just yesterday from your list. Very cool stuff. May be the best pure hard rock from Italy I've ever heard.

No worries, I might need to visit the ear doctor then if everyone thinks this is that bad lol

I don’t think this sounds like any of those bands you mentioned actually but hey ;)

Yup, Be the Wolf is one amazing band.
Claus Jensen

John Frank

Post by John Frank » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:11 am

introclaus wrote:
The Surfing Alien wrote:
Yup, Be the Wolf is one amazing band.
Listening to Be the Wolf now. So far, I quite like them. Thanks for the tip!
"I never smile if I can help it. Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life." - Dwight Schrute