another new Darkwater song.... A New Beginning

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

David D

another new Darkwater song.... A New Beginning

Postby David D » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:39 am

i say they are 2 for 2 for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zpDD3 ... DYtk6SYkJ8

i personally don't want a song to be long for no reason - but i have never thought their songs were too long - very happy for them to share their genius in as many long songs as possible!!!

been a great past year for metal!

Hearing Aid Man

Re: another new Darkwater song.... A New Beginning

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:32 am

Definitely another excellent song! I look forward to hearing 70+ minutes from them. It's funny to see discussions about a Prog Metal release being too long :? . Typically when a band is prog - songs are longer because they do not follow the standard song formula. Loved the comment from T'ski on your other post that the 1st song released was one of the quickest 7+ minute songs I've ever heard. I thought the same thing.
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nos

Postby Nos » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote: It's funny to see discussions about a Prog Metal release being to long :? . Typically when a band is prog - songs are longer because they do not follow the standard song formula.

There's a difference between having long songs and having long albums. "2112" has a 20 minute song, but the record is only 38 minutes long. "Images And Words" is still under an hour. However you break it up, 80 minutes is a long time to demand your attention. I find that any album over an hour is too much, unless it's something really special.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:03 pm

80 minutes is a long time to demand your attention.

I'd have to go with the more for your money theory here. Also, if it's truly prog metal it should demand your attention and probably needs to be listened to with headphones to absorb all the intricacies.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Another really good track.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Nos wrote: I find that any album over an hour is too much, unless it's something really special.

I don’t think ANY band sets out to write an album that they don’t believe is going to be “something really special” so that’s quite a blanket elitist statement you’re making there my friend haha ;)

J/k - in all fairness, I’m sure the guys in Darkwater feel that all 80 minutes are needed, just like good ol’ Neal Morse feels his über long double disc is just what the world wanted.

As for me personally, even a 3 minute Darkwater tune feels too long so I’m not gonna bother with an eighty minute instrument of torture...
Claus Jensen

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:19 pm

introclaus wrote:As for me personally, even a 3 minute Darkwater tune feels too long so I’m not gonna bother with an eighty minute instrument of torture...

I always appreciate your subtle touch.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Mardoch wrote:
introclaus wrote:As for me personally, even a 3 minute Darkwater tune feels too long so I’m not gonna bother with an eighty minute instrument of torture...

LOL :)

Why wrap it up in unnecessary nice apologies for why it’s not something that does anything remotely exciting for me? I’d rather be completely honest and say that I don’t like the band - I’ve said it before but I can explain it again if you’d like me to: Darkwater’s music seems “cold” to me and the singer has a strange lisp that I can’t see past...
Claus Jensen

Nos

Postby Nos » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:07 pm

introclaus wrote: just like good ol’ Neal Morse feels his über long double disc is just what the world wanted.

I love Neal, but yeah, these double discs are a chore to sit through. The new one isn't great, but "Similitude" was, and I haven't listened to it in full since it came out, because there's no chance in hell I'm going to spend nearly two hours listening to the same piece of music. There's a reason why my favorites of his are the single discs that come in around an hour.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:

LOL :)

Why wrap it up in unnecessary nice apologies for why it’s not something that does anything remotely exciting for me? I’d rather be completely honest and say that I don’t like the band - I’ve said it before but I can explain it again if you’d like me to: Darkwater’s music seems “cold” to me and the singer has a strange lisp that I can’t see past...

**** Say it's not so ?????? I never knew this ......... :shock:

Return to “PM: Core”