Early 2019 Releases...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Early 2019 Releases...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Time to get the ball rolling. Here's my radar...

Flotsam and Jetsam - The End of Chaos 1/18
Starbreaker - Dysphoria 1/25
Hollow - Between Eternities of Darkness 2/22
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time 2/22
Candlemass - The Door to Doom 2/22
Darkwater - Human 3/1
Queensryche - The Verdict 3/1
Lance King - ReProgram 3/29
A.C.T - Rebirth
Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal 5/10
Aeon Zen - INVERITAS 5/10
Teramaze - Are We Soldiers 6/21

What are you looking forward to in early 2019?
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

Nos

Re: Early 2019 Releases...

Post by Nos » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 pm

I was looking forward to:

Within Temptation - Resist
Soen - Lotus
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
Avantasia - Moonglow
Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure

Having heard all of them, only one was a disappointment (NMB). Dream Theater is really good, and better than I was expecting, and the other three are all great.
Last edited by Nos on Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:12 pm

The new Soilwork is killer. Very eagerly awaiting that Darkwater and Lance King's new one. Also we get new Devin Townsend in March, which should be great.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:24 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:Time to get the ball rolling. Here's my radar...

Dream Theater - Distance Over Time 2/22

***YES !!!!!!!

Darkwater - Human 3/1

*** YES YES YES !!!!!!! Please bring this on NOW !!!! I thought they left us - so good to hear they didn't.

What are you looking forward to in early 2019?
***Michael Romeo Part 2
Anything by Vanden Plas.
Within Temptation
A dvd from any band that hasn't released one yet. ( not holding my breath )
New Evergrey ( I know it's out just don't have anything to play it on at the moment )
Myrath !!!

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 am

Not mentioned yet:

The new Queensrÿche album
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:21 pm

So far I like:

King Diamond - live
- duh! This is obviously amazing and I can't say anything bad about this two-disc set (even if Larry wants to complain about the dual Abigail shows). Heck, my 8 year old son has become a devout King-fan now and sings along with all the songs!

The Neal Morse Band - the great adventure
- I wasn't expecting it to be nowhere as awesome as "similitude...", and it's not, but for what it is it really isn't half bad. When they are at their best, this band has chops that even DT are hard pressed to keep up with, and the song writing is occasionally very strong. Sure, it's too long and would have benefited from being a single disc, but hey I'm not complaining.

Born of Osiris - the simulation
- super energetic djent/prog/metalcore with a nice electronica feel to it. Might be a bit too much harsh vocals for the crowd on this board, but musically this isn't far removed from BtBaM which has a bunch of fans here.

Swallow the Sun - when a shadow is forced into the light
- not 100% sure about this one yet, as I haven't listened more than 3-4 times through it, but it sounds a bit more mellow and less "doom" than their previous ones. Gotta spin it more, because I really really dig Juha's writing (music and lyrics).

Flotsam & Jetsam - the end of chaos
- more power metal than thrash this time around, but it still kicks a**!

Within Temptation - resist
- been listening almost non stop since yesterday morning ... beautiful album and totally a continuation of anything they've been moving towards over the years. It's more poppy, less metal, bigger melodies, more influences from other genres ... and it still is definitely a ROCK album. Wonderful melodies and Sharon's voice is amazing. Oh, and I bought the deluxe album, and I can honestly say that even the instrumental versions are great, which proves that the band writes great tunes and aren't just depending on her voice.

Soen - lotus
- I've got no doubt about the qualities of this disc, but i'll be honest and say that after getting it yesterday I've only listened through it fully twice as I've been spending more time with the Within Temptation album. I know long term the Soen disc will be one of (if not THE!) albums of the year when all is said and done, so I've got no problem being patient with that one :)

Leprous - angel (single)
- okay, I am a sucker for anything these guys do, and this is no different. Even this cover song (Massive Attack did the original) is cool.

Based on the singles I've heard, I'm looking forward to new albums from: Candlemass, Mother of Millions, Myrath, Avantasia, Xenoverse
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:23 pm

First few discs of the year so far....

Soilwork - Solid album, sticking true to form but bringing in a few more traditional rock elements ala Night Flight Orchestra. More clean elements is a win for my ears. Not a fan of the addition of some of the blast beat drumming though.

Neal Morse - Following up a double concept album with ANOTHER double concept album is a bold undertaking, and they pull it off here. Maybe not quite as good as "Similitude", but it's not far off. "Great Adventure" definitely has a modestly stronger "metal" aspect in the last half of the second disc too.....

Evergrey - Is this possibly their heaviest disc to date? Initial reaction was that the melodies were too subtle, and it was missing a certain memorability..... But on subsequent listens layers definitely start to pop out. It's a very different album than the more catchy ones like ISoT or "Recreation Day", but has a very powerful, personal haunting darkness to it that more than makes up for it.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:49 am

Within Temptation - Not loving this. It's not BAD by any stretch, but it is absolutely a pop album that simply has some crunch to it. About half the songs have vocal lines that sound just like everything I hear my 10 year old daughter listen to on the radio, albeit with a better music score underneath it. For those that are digging this..... Great. I have no doubt this has a much wider target audience than "Mother Earth" ever would, but to me this is just not Within Temptation anymore.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:44 am

introclaus wrote:So far I like:

King Diamond - live
- duh! This is obviously amazing and I can't say anything bad about this two-disc set (even if Larry wants to complain about the dual Abigail shows). Heck, my 8 year old son has become a devout King-fan now and sings along with all the songs!

The Neal Morse Band - the great adventure
- I wasn't expecting it to be nowhere as awesome as "similitude...", and it's not, but for what it is it really isn't half bad. When they are at their best, this band has chops that even DT are hard pressed to keep up with, and the song writing is occasionally very strong. Sure, it's too long and would have benefited from being a single disc, but hey I'm not complaining.

Born of Osiris - the simulation
- super energetic djent/prog/metalcore with a nice electronica feel to it. Might be a bit too much harsh vocals for the crowd on this board, but musically this isn't far removed from BtBaM which has a bunch of fans here.

Swallow the Sun - when a shadow is forced into the light
- not 100% sure about this one yet, as I haven't listened more than 3-4 times through it, but it sounds a bit more mellow and less "doom" than their previous ones. Gotta spin it more, because I really really dig Juha's writing (music and lyrics).

Flotsam & Jetsam - the end of chaos
- more power metal than thrash this time around, but it still kicks a**!

Within Temptation - resist
- been listening almost non stop since yesterday morning ... beautiful album and totally a continuation of anything they've been moving towards over the years. It's more poppy, less metal, bigger melodies, more influences from other genres ... and it still is definitely a ROCK album. Wonderful melodies and Sharon's voice is amazing. Oh, and I bought the deluxe album, and I can honestly say that even the instrumental versions are great, which proves that the band writes great tunes and aren't just depending on her voice.

Soen - lotus
- I've got no doubt about the qualities of this disc, but i'll be honest and say that after getting it yesterday I've only listened through it fully twice as I've been spending more time with the Within Temptation album. I know long term the Soen disc will be one of (if not THE!) albums of the year when all is said and done, so I've got no problem being patient with that one :)

Leprous - angel (single)
- okay, I am a sucker for anything these guys do, and this is no different. Even this cover song (Massive Attack did the original) is cool.

Based on the singles I've heard, I'm looking forward to new albums from: Candlemass, Mother of Millions, Myrath, Avantasia, Xenoverse
UPDATE:

Beast in Black - from hell with love
- fun album, not changing the map of the music world in any way but it's a ton of fun and the singer is just insane!

Astronoid - astronoid
- really interesting album, that I've seen described as post-black/blackgaze but I don't hear that at all ... somehow this is supposed to be related in style to bands such as Deafhaven and Alcest? Nah, to me this is a progressive metal/melo-djent version of Mew that occassionally touches on black metal. If you thought VOLA had stolen the Mew sound, then think again!

Syu - Vorvados
- whenever I'm in the mood for power metal it's typically of the Japanese variety, so a solo album from Galneryus guitarist Syu is obviously gonna sit well with me. Fast, epic and super awesome. Lots of different singers (some better than others), but musically it sounds like a Galneryus album.

A few new things I'm looking forward to that I didn't mention earlier: Overkill, Jupiter, and I guess I'm going to give the Dream Theater disc a shot just because ...
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 am

I've got the new Kadinja now, and it's quite great. Not really groundbreaking, but one of the best bands in straight up djent since they don't fall into the trap of samey-sounding mud that still plagues some of those bands.
https://kadinja.bandcamp.com/album/super-90

And the new Shokran is way better than the first, showcasing some nice melodic elements while maintaining most of the pounding heaviness that drew me to the first album.
https://shokranband.bandcamp.com/album/ethereal

A lot of lesser-known band action early in the year proving that we're still gonna have a great metal year.

Norén

Post by Norén » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:21 pm

This is really funny.
My album of the year. It's got EVERYTHING I HATE in metal.
Melancholic PowerMetal from Finland, check
Opera style female vocals, check
Child choirs, check

Still I love the shit out of this :D
The band is called LOST IN GREY

https://youtu.be/pbagW5vc9ek
https://youtu.be/LmxRB7HzByg
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com