What's Your Favourite Redemption Album?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

batmura

What's Your Favourite Redemption Album?

Postby batmura » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:00 am

I enjoy most Redemption releases, but for a long time, The Fullness of Time has been a personal favourite of mine. Recently, however, I find myself reaching for Snowfall on Judgment Day more and more. I really like the rawness of the guitars on this one, and Ray sounds amazing. This might actually be his best performance in Redemption.

I've always considered the band's output after Snowfall less interesting musically. This Mortal Coil never did it for me. I'd probably rank it at the bottom of the list. The Art of Loss was okay, but it pales in comparison to, say, The Origins of Ruin, in my opinion. I've sampled the one with Tom Englund on vocals; I give props to Tom for adopting a different approach to his singing. To me, he tries to sing like Ray would if he was still in the band. Musically, the album is more in line with their recent material, but there's some stuff that really shines during certain parts. Still, I prefer everything up to Snowfall to their more recent albums, with Fullness and Snowfall topping the list.

Any thoughts?
Sea of Tranquility - The Web Destination for Progressive Music!

Nos

Re: What's Your Favourite Redemption Album?

Postby Nos » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 am

My favorite has been "The Origins Of Ruin" since I first heard it, and it isn't just because "Memory" is my favorite of the band's songs. For me, I find it the most accessible and sticky of their albums. "The Art Of Loss" would be next on those counts, so it's not too far behind.

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 am

Snowfall, and its not even close.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:27 am

For me, it's "The Fullness of Time". The first half of that album is absolute musical perfection, and I would put that run of four songs at the top of ANY "best of" list. "Sapphire" MIGHT be my favorite prog metal song of all time, although there's so much out there that's really a hard statement to even make.

I love every single Redemption album, but certainly to varying degrees. "Mortal Coil" is probably my least favorite, largely as it's their heaviest, but that's purely personal taste speaking. There's nothing flawed or lacking on this album; rather, it's just not hitting the sweet spots for me.

After "Fullness", honestly, I'd pick the newest one "Long Night's Journey"..... Tom sounds absolutely perfect on here, and every single song was instantly engaging and memorable. At first, I was a little overwhelmed at the sheer amount of shredding taking place, but after a couple of listens it all came together. There's no "down" moments here..... Even the albums ballad "And Yet" just oozes emotion and heartache.

In the end, this is one of those questions that has no wrong answers. It's a matter of varying degrees of perfection with each album. Even the debut, as different as it seems now from the rest of the catalogue, was a monster when it first came out.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:44 am

My personal rating (out of 5):

Redemption (2003): 3
The Fullness Of Time (2005): 5
The Origins Of Ruin (2007): 4.5
Snowfall On Judgment Day (2009): 4
This Mortal Coil (2011): 4
The Art Of Loss (2016): 3.5
Long Night's Journey Into Day (2018): 4
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

John Frank

Postby John Frank » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 pm

The Fullness of Time is my fave, closely followed by The Origins of Ruin. I like all of the others as well, but to a lesser degree.
"I never smile if I can help it. Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life." - Dwight Schrute

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Long Night's Journey Into Day

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:24 pm

Fullness, Origins, and Snowfall could each be top on any given day. Just depends on the mood. They're all killer from start to finish.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:29 am

Mardoch wrote:Fullness, Origins, and Snowfall could each be top on any given day. Just depends on the mood. They're all killer from start to finish.

*** This is what I would say as well to get out of being pinned down to one disc ..... hehehehe .....but it is very difficult to answer as we all know .... it's like trying to figure out which Kingcrow disc is your fav until they put out another one ......

For the sake of being pinned down - I'd have to say that " Origins of Ruin " would be my fav of all discs......even though Sapphire is my favorite Redemption song. The three that Mardoch mentions above are my fav 3 though, and in reality, I'm with him on which one would be my fav on any given day......

I'm not including Long Night -- only because it's so new and with a different singer - see, there we go again trying to explain why a disc didn't make it to #1 .... hehehehe.... it's so hard to do. I love Long Night to death - and one that I haven't loved so much since Snowfall -- this post would be so much easier if someone said " rank your Redemption discs " ... ...... Gaetan caught on and did it that way ......good move.

Anderson

Postby Anderson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:24 am

T'ski wrote:Snowfall, and its not even close.

Wow I saw this thread and this was going to be my exact reply. Lol. Snowfall is different then all of their other releases to me. Way more melodic. Black and White World is just killer.

Chris
facebook.com/divineregale

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Snowfall because it has my favorite production

Love all the others
Saphire is also one of the best songs ever written period
What sets Redemption apart as well are the most thought provoking lyrics,especially having to do with personal matter and relationships
Tarja is a female woman

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:28 pm

I'll stick with Fullness cause that's what made my absolutely adore the band and really came to me in a time I needed music like that. However, like all Redemption albums for me, there are always three songs that stand head, shoulders and torso above the rest. You could take those and make the greatest collected prog metal album of all time.

I still struggle with Mortal Coil from a production standpoint, but it's a solid disc. Stronger than Death has a more profound meaning for me now.

And here's the best aspect of the band I can think of...nobody sounds like them. In an industry where cloning sounds and mimicking are commonplace, there's not a single band who has copied their sound or musical structure. They are unique in their space, and I find that super refreshing.

For me, looking at an entire discography, I'd say my two favorite alltime bands are Fates Warning and Redemption.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Mardoch wrote:Fullness, Origins, and Snowfall could each be top on any given day. Just depends on the mood. They're all killer from start to finish.

I'm in complete agreement with this statement!
Claus Jensen

Return to “PM: Core”