My 2018 Top Ten

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

keifling

My 2018 Top Ten

Postby keifling » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 am

1. Frozen Land - Frozen Land
Since Timeless Miracle is dragging ass on their next, Frozen Land has a near identical style & sound, and I think they are a tad better at songwriting. Love this one.

2. Marius Danielsen - Legend of Valley Doom Pt 2
I gave up on Avantasia at Scarecrow. Good to have the opera back.

3. Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Pt 1
He should have called it Puking Robots. Didn't need to play that one a second time. The rest is killer.

4. Ghost Ship Octavius - Delirium
There are a few songs that can never be topped from the first CD, but I like this one better as a whole.

5. Dynazty - Firesign

6. Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath

7. Imperial Age - The Legacy of Atlantis
Music is excellent. Lead vocals sound like he's trying to sing in a lower octave than he's capable of, and it just comes off weird, but is an enjoyable CD nevertheless.

8. DIvine Ascension - The Uncovering
Better than the last one, for sure.

9. Redemption - Long Night's Journey into Day
Still think Snowfall was better, the only other Redemption disc I've been able to get into.

10 - Frozen Crown - The Fallen King
Would be much higher on the list if the grouchy vocals were less prominent.

Honorable mentions - LarryD taught me that it's ok to not put Seventh Wonder in the top 10. I wore my batteries out on Waiting in the Wings and Mercy Falls. Honestly have only heard Great Escape a couple times. Didn't catch on. This one, Tiara, might've come in at 11 or 12 if I extended the list. Need to play it more to see how it grows. Ostura is a good listen with some fine memorable moments but also some really odd ones too. Kamelot, haven't heard it enough yet. Sounds good so far though.

Nos

Re: My 2018 Top Ten

Postby Nos » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 am

keifling wrote:Since Timeless Miracle is dragging ass on their next

There's a name I haven't heard in forever. There was a time I would have cared if they ever came back. I don't think that's true anymore.

I wouldn't even put this in the same breath as Avantasia. The first one was ok, but this one was way too slow, dull, and heavy on trying to get the story over.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:05 pm

There are a few songs that can never be topped from the first CD, but I like this one better as a whole.

I see a couple mentioning they prefer the new one. Guess I'll have to spin it some more.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks for posting. There's several I haven't even heard of. I'll have to go remedy that.
Güy

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:06 pm

keifling wrote:10 - Frozen Crown - The Fallen King
Would be much higher on the list if the grouchy vocals were less prominent.

I don't hear a lot of "grouchy vocals", only bits and pieces in certain songs, (The Shieldmaiden is a good example) but mostly this is Federico Mondelli singing clean vocals. Since female vocals in fast power metal has a tendency to get boring really fast (unless it's Unleash the Archers or Seven Kingdoms) that aspect of Frozen Crown doesn't interest me much, but Federico's voice does for sure. I totally love his voice - in his other band BE THE WOLF it's only him singing, and their music is just stunning (totally different from this though).
Claus Jensen

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:43 pm

We have a few in common. Thanks for posting.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:59 pm

keifling wrote:
I gave up on Avantasia at Scarecrow. Good to have the opera back.
****I tried this and didn't like. Not even in the same league as the great Avantasia for me.

3. Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Pt 1
He should have called it Puking Robots. Didn't need to play that one a second time. The rest is killer.
****I agree this song is not too good. I also skip it almost every time...

****Thought the 1st one was better myself.

5. Dynazty - Firesign
****My #13. Excellent.

6. Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath
****Liked it quite a bit too.

9. Redemption - Long Night's Journey into Day
Still think Snowfall was better, the only other Redemption disc I've been able to get into.
****My fave from them.

Honorable mentions - LarryD taught me that it's ok to not put Seventh Wonder in the top 10.
***** :lol:

keifling

Postby keifling » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:42 pm

introclaus wrote:I don't hear a lot of "grouchy vocals", only bits and pieces in certain songs,

I've had the opportunity to listen more closely after the original post and I think you're right. I'm enjoying it more and don't hear as much of them as I once did. And they (grouchy vocals) really aren't bad anyway. Great disc.

MeTuLHeD

Postby MeTuLHeD » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:23 pm

keifling wrote:DIvine Ascension - The Uncovering Better than the last one, for sure.

Great to see this on your list. I think Jennifer Borg is a killer vocalist and deserving of all the recognition she can get.

Return to “PM: Core”